Super-secret spots, anyone?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
chrismjx
14er Checklist (7)

Super-secret spots, anyone?

Postby chrismjx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 pm

I was hoping that maybe someone would share with me some good spots for a 2 or 3 night backpacker, probably not more than 15mi RT if at all possible... I got a tip on Twin Crater Lakes in the Rawah Wilderness from a generous individual, and it was fantastic! So I'm hoping someone can throw me another bone.
Gabe
14er Checklist (14)

Re: Super-secret spots, anyone?

Postby Gabe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Although I haven't done any overnighters here, the next real "cool" spot that I want to visit that isn't too popular is the Never Summer Wilderness just west of RMNP. I did a little snow shoeing there and its worth checking out. It's beautiful and takes a bit of hiking to get into it. I can't imagine seeing too many folks there during the middle of the week. Good luck.
mountainmanny
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby mountainmanny » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:12 pm

i have spent extensive time in the Never Summer's......Love the area!!! (lot's of horse traffic and fishermen, less hikers & backpackers)

You can hike Buffalo Pass from the Never Summers into Steamboat Springs (more than 15miles though....) but Big Creek Lakes is an amazing area to start a trip....check out the sweet little outdoor lakeside chapel they made out of local pine and aspen.

Buford in the White River National Forest on the West side of the Flat Tops, is my secret spot....lots of great trail and untouched land, you can go to Spring Caves and the drive up the White Rive Valley is epic...(there is a secret waterfall to be found in the area too).... Not many people and very few towns anywhere close in the area so make sure you have your bearings and navigational tools....(lots of bears).
"The best climber....is the one having the most fun" ~ Alex Lowe
“Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
chrismjx
14er Checklist (7)

Postby chrismjx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:47 pm

mountainmanny wrote:i have spent extensive time in the Never Summer's......Love the area!!! (lot's of horse traffic and fishermen, less hikers & backpackers)

You can hike Buffalo Pass from the Never Summers into Steamboat Springs (more than 15miles though....) but Big Creek Lakes is an amazing area to start a trip....check out the sweet little outdoor lakeside chapel they made out of local pine and aspen.

Buford in the White River National Forest on the West side of the Flat Tops, is my secret spot....lots of great trail and untouched land, you can go to Spring Caves and the drive up the White Rive Valley is epic...(there is a secret waterfall to be found in the area too).... Not many people and very few towns anywhere close in the area so make sure you have your bearings and navigational tools....(lots of bears).

I checked it out on Google Earth and it looks like a pretty cool place! Would you camp at the South Fork Campground, or would you hike out off-trail somewhere and set up? Any specific routes you would recommend?
mountainmanny
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby mountainmanny » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:00 pm

The campground is nice, it is big.

There are spots a plenty off trail. I usually go up the Spring Cave Trail, do the caves...from there I head to Blair Mtn. and hit a string of really sweet little lakes...Crater Lake, Blair Lake, Elk Lakes, you can easily swing over to Bison and Meart Lakes too...really lots of options and none of them are bad. The one I gave is more south bearing...you can also head east toward the flat tops and get on some good trails...Lost Solar Creek up to Marvine Lakes and Big Marvine Peak (i think its summit is 12,000 or very close to)
"I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong" ~ John Lennon
Hunter
14er Checklist (34)

Postby Hunter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:06 pm

If discussed on here...wouldn't that make it...not secret?
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
mountainmanny
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby mountainmanny » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:09 pm

My answer is No.

It would seem on matters such as this that most people have the attitude of "mine is better than yours", so I feel that the majority will most likely not truly consider these suggestions as options for a future trip.
Chinook
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (8)
13er Checklist (24)

Postby Chinook » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Gore Range. Most people know it is incredible, but since there are no 14ers there most will stay away. Oh how I love that place!
Living the good life.
bob863
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby bob863 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:19 pm

if i told you, i'd have to kill you...

Airborne Ranger Bob...
tlongpine
14er Checklist (26)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby tlongpine » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Hunter wrote:If discussed on here...wouldn't that make it...not secret?

My thought's exactly.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
chrismjx
14er Checklist (7)

Postby chrismjx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 pm

tlongpine wrote:
Hunter wrote:If discussed on here...wouldn't that make it...not secret?

My thought's exactly.

Fine, so give up your secrets then! Ha ha
dmccool
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby dmccool » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:06 am

Barr Trail and Pikes ought to give you some good isolation this time of year.
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Return to “Climbing Connection”