Climbing partners needed for N Maroon and N Eolus

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
unclegar
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (25)

Re: Climbing partners needed for N Maroon and N Eolus

Postby unclegar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Jeff_F wrote:Any new thoughts on this? Considering all the snow, might be better off in August, or even Labor Day weekend.

I suggest not Labor Day weekend because of the increased potential for rockfall, but August may be a good idea. I was at Cas/Con on Friday and there is A LOT of snow still up there.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Jeff_F
14er Checklist (41)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby Jeff_F » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Yea, I often forget about the need of doing it on non-busy days/weekends.

Snow pretty solid for the Castle combo? I'm hoping to get that this year. Think snowshoes would be necessary?
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir
rickinco123
14er Checklist (8)

Postby rickinco123 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:15 pm

I posted a condition report on my mini epic on N Maroon this weekend, we came down the standard NE Ridge route. Right now it is a full blown technical snow climb and any signs of the trail are almost totally obliterated by snow. You might get it on your first date but I would think more toward the middle of July.
jdhak10
14er Checklist (50)

Postby jdhak10 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Tundraking,
I am looking at both Bells, Capital, and Pyramid on the 15-25 July time frame. Would like to join your climb if your going on 16th or foloowing weekend.
Keep me posted. Have climbed 48 14ers and Kilimanjaro.
jdhak10
kushrocks
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 pm

I would be interested in North Maroon the weekend of the 15th to 17th. Sounds like a good group going.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
bob863
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby bob863 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:16 pm

I'd like to be part of the group...my "stats" on this site don't reflect my skill level...I would be open to an Aug. date with the heavy
snowfall this season...
unclegar
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby unclegar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Jeff_F wrote:Snow pretty solid for the Castle combo? I'm hoping to get that this year. Think snowshoes would be necessary?

Yes and no. :D We switched from microspikes to crampons in the valley with no road. Got tired of slipping on the angled snow. Snow was great when we went last Fri (24th). There is a TR on it by jameseroni. I read where the avalanche debris was being cleaned up too. It was pretty significant so that would be a big help. Overall, still A LOT of snow!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
sunny1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (122)

Postby sunny1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm still in for a 7/15 climb of N Maroon - I'm holding steady with the original plan pending conditions over the next few weeks.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
tundraking
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (73)

Postby tundraking » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi Sunny, I am OK with a climb on 7/15 too. I have the option of a high camp on Thursday evening as I am off from Thursday through the whole weekend. Do you have that option or would you need to do it as a day climb? I would like to see what the others say as far as schedule. I would much prefer Friday but could still do Saturday. Much better with fewer climbers on the route. And I love high camps!

sunny1 wrote:I'm still in for a 7/15 climb of N Maroon - I'm holding steady with the original plan pending conditions over the next few weeks.
tundraking
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (73)

Postby tundraking » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:23 pm

I guess we will to watch trip reports getting closer to the date, sounds like we could still have a lot of snow as you and others have commented. Warm temps lately though.

unclegar wrote:
Jeff_F wrote:Snow pretty solid for the Castle combo? I'm hoping to get that this year. Think snowshoes would be necessary?

Yes and no. :D We switched from microspikes to crampons in the valley with no road. Got tired of slipping on the angled snow. Snow was great when we went last Fri (24th). There is a TR on it by jameseroni. I read where the avalanche debris was being cleaned up too. It was pretty significant so that would be a big help. Overall, still A LOT of snow!
tundraking
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (73)

Postby tundraking » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 am

I haven't seen any recent trip reports from N Maroon. Does anyone have an idea on conditions?
scheelt
14er Checklist (44)

Postby scheelt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:12 am

Climbed N Maroon on 2 Jul via Bell Cord and descended via the NE Ridge. The traverse from the top of the Bell Cord to the summit had a one place where we had to traverse a snow field about 20 feet wide. The descent had a significant amount of snow on it still. The ridge to the gulleys was completely covered with snow, the gulleys had patchy snow that could be avoided. The boulderfield on the north side of the mountain also was completely snow covered. All the snow made route finding descending an unfamiliar route pretty tricky.

Attached is a photo from the summit of N Maroon with Maroon in the background. It shows generally the amount of snow you will find on both mountains.

PM me if you want more details.

Cheers
Attachments
DSCN3284-3.jpg
DSCN3284-3.jpg (318.5 KiB) Viewed 385 times

Return to “Climbing Connection”