WyomingBob

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JEyez
14ers: 28 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (0)

WyomingBob

Post by JEyez »

*edited title of thread at the request of a 14ers member to reflect the name of the deceased. Again, condolences to the family. WyomingBob was a personal inspiration...

May the family find peace knowing WyomingBob passed in a beautiful part of the country doing what he loved to do.

http://durangoherald.com/article/201307 ... to-death--
Last edited by JEyez on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Damn right I like the life I live, 'cause I went from negative to positive." - The Black Frank White

"There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk." - Jean-Paul Sartre

http://www.hedrickdata.com/livinthedream

Jeremy Isenhart
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Jagged Mountain Accident

Post by mtgirl »

Wishing the climber's family and friends peace during their time of sorrow. :cry:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
MountainSlayer
14ers: 40 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainSlayer »

Jagged Mountain must take tremendous courage to attempt. May his friends and family rest easy knowing that.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I'm very saddened to learn of this news.

From the article: "A climber fell 230 feet to his death about this time last year near the top of Windom Peak, one of three fourteeners that make up the upper portion of Chicago Basin."

I was in Chicago Basin last year when this occurred. We watched from the summit of Mt Eolus as search and rescue evacuated his body by helicopter off of Mt Windom and out of the basin. It was very sobering to watch.
Coxie2210
14ers: 39  6 
13ers: 33 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coxie2210 »

What classification is this mtn? The man who died is from Cheyenne, WY and was an attorney. Some of his family who attended my high school were asking me and I told them I would look into it.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Jagged Mtn is one of the two hardest of the 100 highest peaks in Colorado. Lots of route finding and a couple of lower 5th class moves required. It's also got a fair amount of exposure in places. Definitely not an easy peak to climb. I would not want to get caught in bad weather on Jagged Mtn.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Coxie2210 wrote:What classification is this mtn? The man who died is from Cheyenne, WY and was an attorney. Some of his family who attended my high school were asking me and I told them I would look into it.
Roach: 5.0-5.2
Matt Lemke's summitpost page: 5.2
The YDS, though, does not reflect the commitment and exposure of the climb. I've only hiked to the base and looked at it from both sides. My respect to anyone who attempts it.
Last edited by Kent McLemore on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-km
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Holy cow. This sport is so dangerous. (Beginning to re-evaluate my own good fortune on this stuff to date.)

Condolences to family and friends of the deceased.
May you find peace in knowing how much all of us love climbing these mountains, and how we have received a spiritual calling to be here, consequences notwithstanding.

[-o<
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

That mountain looks fascinating, and fraught with peril. I'd feel much more comfortable studying it from the summit of Eolus, Windom, or Sunlight than experiencing it firsthand.
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Holy cow. This sport is so dangerous. (Beginning to re-evaluate my own good fortune on this stuff to date.) [-o<
It's always sad to lose one of our strange club. Certainly I wish strength and peace to the family and friends left behind.
But the truth is, our chosen activity is no more dangerous than life in general. I feel safer in the mountains than I do on the city streets. We all beef up our "good fortune" with clear-headed thinking.
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

The person involved has now been identified through the media as Howard Scotland.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20 ... dentified-

My condolences to his friends and family.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.