In Memoriam: Kevin Hayne

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

In Memoriam: Kevin Hayne

Post by tmathews »

It was a year ago on June 15, 2010, when 14ers.com tragically lost a young member of our forum. Many knew Kevin as a kind-hearted individual with a bright and promising future. Please take a moment today to remember Kevin -- and keep his family and friends in your thoughts -- as we note this somber anniversary.

For those of you who joined 14ers.com after the incident, here are a few links.

The accident

The lessons

The tributes
Last edited by tmathews on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: In Memoriam: Kevin Hayne

Post by Mountainspirit »

Onward and Upward - RIP Kevin
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

The shock from a year ago is still somewhat present. Kevin was a big loss, but the faith he had and that shown by his family and friends is incredibly strong. RIP my friend.

Last year, Kevin was just a start to a deadly season. Have fun this year, but keep safe......Onward!!!
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

dcbates80911 wrote:The shock from a year ago is still somewhat present. Kevin was a big loss, but the faith he had and that shown by his family and friends is incredibly strong.
I definitely agree. It's hard to believe a year has gone by already and so fast.
weschun
14ers: 38  12 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weschun »

The shock from a year ago is still somewhat present. Kevin was a big loss, but the faith he had and that shown by his family and friends is incredibly strong. RIP my friend.

Last year, Kevin was just a start to a deadly season. Have fun this year, but keep safe......Onward!!!

+1
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I hope 2011 turns out a better year than the ten losses in 2010.
As far as I could tell most of them were pure bad-luck accidents with no real lessons on how to do better.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

sdkeil wrote:...I also agree some accidents are just accidents, however some have mitigating circumstances. And when near-misses and accidents happen we have to be open to the critique of others, otherwise we are doomed to repeat ourselves with the potential for a fatal outcome the next time.

Before I head out to the mountains, I like to remind myself that the mountain is ultimately in control and if it doesn't want me to climb on it, the mountain will let me know. Sometimes it tells me that I can climb on it, but only if I have the right equipment. Other times I am not sure I understand what it is saying and sometimes it just flat out says no. This leads me to point out what I think is one of the differences between an experienced climber and a less experienced climber. An experienced climber understands the language the mountain is speaking. and as the mountains get harder in climbing difficulty typically their language becomes equally difficult. So someone who is class 1 and 2 experienced, ie has general knowledge to navigate terrain, brings the right layers and understands to bring extra food and water, may not be someone who is experienced to understand the language of class 4 and 5. We will all come across days when we get some place and the mountain just doesn't want to be climbed on or we brought the wrong gear, however instead of gutting out an "epic" summit an experienced climber will listen to the mountain and come back on another day and if you aren't understanding what the mountain is saying, it doesn't mean continue on with blind ignorance, but instead come back when you do understand. However, being able to speak a mountain's language is not always good enough to keep even the most experienced climber safe. Thus we are reminded by accidents like Kevin's that we all partake in a dangerous sport and that death is always a potential outcome...
sdkeil wrote:We best honor our friends by never forgetting them and sharing with others the stories we have of them... I agree with Jason, the best memories are living the memories and with so many great stories out there about Kevin, I think the the sharing of those stories will be the best way to honor our young friend we have all lost.
+1

RIP, little brother...
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Rest in Peace buddy!!!
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Thanks for the reminder Terry. He's now in the hands of Jesus his Savior. RIP Kevin. Will pray for comfort for his family and friends.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

RIP, Kevin. I never met you but from everything I've heard and read, I wish I had.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Peace brother... may you be an angel on our shoulders.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Johnson wrote:Thanks for the reminder Terry. He's now in the hands of Jesus his Savior. RIP Kevin. Will pray for comfort for his family and friends.
+1 Bro

It was heartbreaking again to read through some of the threads from last year. I had climbed Little Bear from the same route just 1 week before Kevin's final attempt so it is an especially poignant remembrance for me. May God comfort Kevin's family and friends even now and let's all do our best to have a safe and prosperous climbing year.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz