Climbing Harness Question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing Harness Question

Post by TallGrass »

Wish I lived in CO wrote:So my question by now is obvious. Why the fundamental differences between the two systems?
Because in industry you want a SHTF restraint out of the way so you can do your primary activity: work. When rope work involved in the primary activity (e.g. arborist, rescue) you hitch in front. OSHA implemented them for roofers and they were loathed because they slowed them down (<$) and actually caused accidents by tripping and slipping on rope as well as clothes-lining people and materials. To avoid the harsh jerk of static line, constant adjustment was needed which further ate into time. They're seldom seen on residential jobs now. Tip: if it's a comp roof, get some open-cell seat cushion foam to sit on for traction, wear Chuck Taylors instead of hiking boots, and avoid stepping on any wood that's wet or green.
gregny548
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gregny548 »

I use a harness frequently at work. I haven't rope climbed in many years, so I can only comment on the industrial harnesses. You use the front D-ring for the fall arrestor while you are climbing. Once you reach the level that you are going to work on you, tie off with a lanyard that is attached to the back D-ring.
Some of the front D-rings are at the waist and some are higher, near the chest. It depends on the type of climbing system being used. The fall arrestor attaches to a rail and won't allow you to go down suddenly, so there really is no way to "fall". When you are at the working level you tie off with the lanyard. Retractable lanyards are becoming much more popular because they stay taught and thus, don't get tangled up in your feet. They also reduce the fall stress because they act like a seatbelt when acted upon suddenly. I actually don't like them for ladder work, because they're heavier than a traditional lanyard. Traditional lanyards feature a "shock absorber" which consists of the lanyard being sewn back and forth onto itself for a few feet worth of material. When you fall, the stitching rips apart but it does this incrementally, thus slowing the descent and reducing the stress on your body. I've never fallen. I've never known anyone who's fallen.
Its important to note that if you fall, you have appx 10 to 15 minutes to be "rescued" (or pull yourself back to the ladder, roof, etc.) or the stress on your body will start to cause permanent injury and death. Keep that in mind if you're working by yourself.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

gregny548 wrote:Traditional lanyards feature a "shock absorber" which consists of the lanyard being sewn back and forth onto itself for a few feet worth of material. When you fall, the stitching rips apart but it does this incrementally, thus slowing the descent and reducing the stress on your body. I've never fallen. I've never known anyone who's fallen.
I used to go up on a manlift a few times a year in the 90s and into the 2000s, but haven't been up for about 5 years now as I have a different job. We had always used the traditional type that you describe with the stitching and it was connected to the center of the back. The newer type you describe sounds interesting.
gregny548 wrote:Its important to note that if you fall, you have appx 10 to 15 minutes to be "rescued" (or pull yourself back to the ladder, roof, etc.) or the stress on your body will start to cause permanent injury and death. Keep that in mind if you're working by yourself.
Never heard that before. Wow!
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

gregny548 wrote: Its important to note that if you fall, you have appx 10 to 15 minutes to be "rescued" (or pull yourself back to the ladder, roof, etc.) or the stress on your body will start to cause permanent injury and death. Keep that in mind if you're working by yourself.
I assume you are referring to suspension trauma https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma , in which case this isn't really accurate. It's true that suspension trauma can be fatal in a short time period, but it requires that you are motionless. A conscious climber who can move their legs around even a small amount does not experience this issue. It can be common to be at a hanging or semi-hanging belay for up to an hour (or more, for a hard aid pitch) with the belayer no worse for the wear, beyond dealing with discomfort.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack