GPS Receivers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
arvinsmee
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: GPS Receivers

Post by arvinsmee »

After I did decent bit of research I went with the DeLorme. Yeah, you have to pay for a subscription, but there's so much more you can do with them. Reading the reviews, even for what it does do (ping locations and send presaved messages) the SPOT seemed.... spotty. The DeLorme got much reception.

I've only had the DeLorme for about a year, but I found it very useful. Generally I drop a pin when I leave camp with a presaved message and drop a pin when I arrive at camp, also with a presaved message. If I'm off trail, I'm dropping pins every 20-30 min. My family and girlfriend really appreciate being able to see where I am on the map.

Typing is a real pain unless you use phone app, but it gets the job done. If I change course from my stated plans, I'll send out an updated itinerary. Sometimes I'll text someone to get an update on weather (though the utility of that obviously changes depending on the kind of mountains you're in). Sometimes it's just nice to check in and tell everyone you're having a great time, or that the weather sucks, or whatever.

While a real emergency situation is always in the back of my mind, I imagine a a less dramatic situation is far more likely, something like a broken arm or sprained ankle, where you can get out of the woods on your own power but need someone to meet you at the nearest trail head. A DeLorme would work for that. A SPOT would not.
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

I've got a SPOT Gen3 and it works out great. Very simple to set up. 1 yr subscription about 110$
I set my wife up with a desktop Icon, 1 simple click and she knows where I am.
I threw it in the seat of the passenger side and was driving back to where we were staying and it tracked me all the way back home.

I did change my predetermined message before each hike so my final destination or turn around was not in question.

Very happy with it.
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

lkk8815 wrote:
Rock-a-Fella wrote:To begin at the end...
Thanks for the insight, definitely helpful. Probably going to go with Delorme for the reasons you mentioned.
TomPierce wrote:I'm familiar with the cited case (Mt. Washington?)...
I think we're talking about the same thing, she didn't actually make it to Washington and was turned around by a storm/high winds on the traverse. The article I read was just on a news site, not by anyone familiar with mountaineering so they made a big deal over the temperature limit making it hard for the rescue team to find her.
In the event you have not researched this info, InReach has a plan called the "Freedom Plan". This is specifically designed for seasonal users. You pay $25.00 a year and a couple dollars extra per month (different projected usage plans) but you can suspend anytime. They store you data while its suspended. Additionally you can move up or down in plan each month as your usage changes. Mountaineering season you bump the usage up to be more efficient, as the season slows down and your trips as well you adjust to you trip calendar. Off Season you suspend.

Example: 12 mo at $11.95 = $143.40 annual Freedom Plan for the summer July/Aug/Sept 3 mo. @ $14.95 = $44.85 + $24.95 annual freedom fee = $69.80

Hope that helps
RWinters
14ers: 58 
13ers: 353 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RWinters »

Thanks for the additional detail on the monthly fees. I was hopeful, but not aware of the seasonal plan so that is encouraging.
"It's just right there"