LL Bean snowshoes?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AcornMan
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (1)

LL Bean snowshoes?

Post by AcornMan »

I bought MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes last year and I absolutely hate them because the bindings are so cumbersome and they don't stay secured. I refuse to bring them up another mountain with me. Today I noticed an interesting looking line of snowshoes from LL Bean with bindings that appear to be far more user-friendly. I've seen reviews for all kinds of snowshoes, but never for anything from LL Bean. Anyone have any experience using them for winter hikes/climbs?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: LL Bean snowshoes?

Post by Scott P »

Unless they have changed in recent years, LL Bean snowshoes aren't very good, especially for peak climbing.

LL Bean, Yukon Charlie, Red Feather, and Coleman are snowshoe brands to avoid.

Try another model of MSRs, Atlas, or Tubbs.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

OP, did you consider other types of bindings? MSR has several.
Last edited by TallGrass on Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

They're not hardcore climbing snowshoes, but should be fine for standard recreational use.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I'm considering replacing my ~10yo Salomon snowshoes this season. Been ogling these though I can't see spending ~$300 on them...

Where ever you are... There you are.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

As someone who grew up 45 minutes from the flagship LL Bean store in Maine, I can vouch 100% for LL Bean's quality gear. They make far superior tents to REI's branded tents, for example, and their flannel shirts and moccasins are to die for.

Plus, if you find out you absolutely hate the snowshoes, you can return them, no questions asked.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Have you ever demo'ed other brands? RMNP puts on a good event that I have attended in the past to promote my snowshoe race: https://m.facebook.com/events/193255664361016/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

As someone who grew up 45 minutes from the flagship LL Bean store in Maine, I can vouch 100% for LL Bean's quality gear. They make far superior tents to REI's branded tents, for example, and their flannel shirts and moccasins are to die for.
LL Bean actually doesn't make the snowshoes with their name on them. They are subcontracted out to Synergy Sports in China. LL Bean, Yukon Charlie, and Coleman are all made in the same Synergy Sports factory in Shanghai. Other than the name slapped on the shoes and the warranty, they are all the same.

Anyway, if AcornMan really does want a pair, I'll sell him mine for cheap. I only used them once. I bought them so extended family members could come visit and go snowshoeing with us when they did, but everyone spread out and no one comes to visit anyway.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Cruiser wrote:I'm considering replacing my ~10yo Salomon snowshoes this season. Been ogling these though I can't see spending ~$300 on them...

Those look like crocs. :shock:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Yeah, stick to MSR, Atlas, or Tubbs.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I have LL Bean snowshoes and they're just Tubbs rebranded. They've served me pretty well, although next time I'll get a smaller size. It's common for Bean to rebrand stuff.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake