Patagonia Nano Air

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fisherman188
14ers: 17 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Patagonia Nano Air

Post by fisherman188 »

Has anyone had experience using both a Patagonia Nano-Air Hoody and an Arcteryx Atom LT? I currently have an Atom LT and think it's a great layer but even when it's 20F or below I still sweat down when I start up incline with a pack. I know the Nano-Air is the same insulation wise but much more breathable and I think it might suit me better but I'm very hesitant to drop the money. Thanks.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Patagonia Nano Air

Post by AyeYo »

The Nano-Air hoodie is the best piece of equipment I've ever bought and goes with me on every mountain hike, year 'round. I'm waiting for a good sale so I can grab another, but it's worth every penny even at full price. I've never used a jacket that's comfortable over such a wide temperature range, mostly because of the incredible breathability. The hoodie with a tee shirt underneath is good for 30-50F on a sunny day. With a light to medium thermal long sleeve, it's good for 0-30F on a sunny day. You can throw something like a Houdini over it if the wind gets extreme.

One thing to note, it's good only as active-wear. As a sedentary jacket, it's only good to about 50F.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

I own the Nano Air Hoody and have friends who own the Atom LT––the fabric seems mostly the same, but I can't vouch for the Arcteryx personally.

The Nano Air Hoody is my go to climbing and skiing jacket, because of the comfort, stretch, and breathability. I do recommend pairing it with a good soft/hard shell, however, if the wind gets real fierce.

Like AyeYo said, the jacket is great when moving, but if you are sedentary/belaying/chilling out in any weather underneath 30 degrees, you'll need another layer to stay warm.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Check out some mid-layers made with Polartec Alpha. Like many of you out there I've been playing with winter layering systems for a long time and I have been genuinely impressed with the comfort range that I get out of Polartec Alpha. In fact, I like the Lowe Alpine Frozen Sun jacket so much that I sold off my Arc'teryx Atom LT in favor of it.

http://polartec.com/product/polartec-alpha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where ever you are... There you are.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

I own both, Nano air breathes a bit more overall compared to the atom, but don't expect a miracle of difference.
cschmidt1023
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cschmidt1023 »

There is an easier and cheaper solution. Take off or unzip a layer when doing strenuous uphill. I hiked Hanging Lake last Christmas Day with a starting temp of 8 degrees plus wind. I froze my ass off from the car to the TH. Once I got into the uphill I had to de-later down to a 260 weight merino shirt (midweight).

My favorite piece of "technical clothing" is the Marmot Driclime. Way more versatile and way cheaper. Obviously it has limitations, but the range of comfortable temps is hard to beat.
fisherman188
14ers: 17 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fisherman188 »

Thanks for all the replies. I really just tune my layers if I think something might keep me more comfortable or keep me from having to stop as often to change.
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

I go for fleece mid-layers for high output activities. I've have a thin BD Co-Efficient for a lighter weight Mid-Layer and heavier BD Compound I think for a medium weight Mid-Layer depending on the temperature. If it's windy, rainy, or snowy I put a shell on top. I just put my Atom LT or heavier Down Jacket when I'm not moving to warm up if necessary. I haven't found a puffy jacket that breathes anywhere close to fleece.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Important to note that there are two models of the atom... LT breathes a lot easier than the AR. The LT has Polartec sides, the AR does not and is overall a lot warmer than the LT due to denser core loft. Not a huge difference in price between these two jackets either, so don't accidentally buy the AR unless thats what you want/need.
wyyld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wyyld »

Can't speak for the Atom but I have my nano air jacket with me on every adventure. It is probably the most versatile layer I have in my gear locker. Highly recommended and you can find them for over 50% off if you wait on end of season deals. Excellent piece of gear.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." - John Muir