?BD Hoodies & Puffys?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

?BD Hoodies & Puffys?

Post by TallGrass »

Anyone have some first hand feedback on Black Diamond puffys and hoodys? Looking for something that's small in the pack yet breaks the wind, is warm, doesn't easily wet out, boosts my sleeping bag's rating, zippered hand pockets, kind of an all around useful piece that would reside with my poncho in even a day pack so if weather or circumstances force a bivy I'm not chattering teeth. Been comparing the Hot Forge (Jacket, Hoody, Hybrid Hoody), Cold Forge Parka, Heat Treat Hoody, Stance Belay Hoody, and Access LT Hybrid Hoody. There's also the Compound, CoEfficient or Solution Hoodys for a mid layer and the Liquid Point Shell, but they wouldn't pack as nice when overnighting with my Flash 22 pack which my bag, pad, and tent fit nicely in.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ?BD Hoodies & Puffys?

Post by swampthing »

I have the ladies' version of the Access LT hoodie/jacket and it definitely kept the heat in during winter hikes and belaying in the chilly fall wind. The only complaint I've had about it is that it's not great in wet snow/rain - eventually the very outside layer becomes kind of sad and soggy - but I use it as more of an insulation layer anyway and I have a shell for the outside.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

I love Stance hoody, and it looks like it is now 50% off on BD site. I was warm down to 10 degrees with significant wind. I believe that it is lighter than similarly rated down puffy and packs into roll smaller than 5 by 7 inches. It definitelly needs a shell in prolonged exposure to wet snow or rain, but it has Pertex on the outside so it will shed water for some time. They also have Stance parka version with more insulation for even colder weather.
pgunnz
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pgunnz »

I have used a few of the jackets and I have to say I really love BD stuff. The neck can be a little weird for some people and they have a more trim fit which a lot of people complain about. I haven't had issues with either of those.

The Hot Forge hoody is pretty light weight for its features and can pack down small. It has kept me very warm on many different days. I think this one is like $110 on BD's website right now
The Stance Belay hoody is very similar to the Hot Forge just with synthetic fill. It still packs down small and will keep you warm.
The Access Hybrid is meant to be an active insulation layer. There is a thin panel of soft shell material that runs from the wrist to the waist. it will still block out wind but won't retain much heat. It is a great jacket if you are going to be more active or for shoulder season.

For the fleeces the coefficient is a great lightweight layer but I feel it is overpriced for what you get so if you can't get it on clearance I would wait.
The Solution is a great fleece jacket that will keep you warm on cool days and breathe well. And you will look good doing whatever you are doing.

Another jacket to consider is the Tangent, it is a heavier fleece and is wind resistant. It really does its job well, I have stated over heating in it when it was just kind of cool.

The one kind of annoying thing BD hasn't started doing on most of their puffies is adding a packable pocket. Not a huge deal I just use a sea to summit 2 or 4L stuff sack I carry in a pocket and it fits nicely in it to put in my pack.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I have and love the Patagonia ultralight nanopuff down hoody. They seem to be hard to find; I got mine on ebay for 110. It weighs about a pound, fits into a small stuff sack (included), has hand pockets, a hood, and is comfy. I find it to be a good as is outer layer when its cool/breezy, and I use it as an insulating layer under a goretex shell, and it makes a great camp pillow!
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

I have the Stance Belay and love it. For the price on BD right now I would jump on it. I have worn it up Quandary in December and James Peak in February and it held up great. Super warm, I like the cut to as it is close to you, so you don't have to worry about wind coming in from below or up your back.
twystoflemon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by twystoflemon »

how would you guys compare the mountain hardwear ghost whisperer jackets to the BD jackets? the ghost whisperer seems to be the jacket of choice for UL backpacking at <8 oz, but i gather it might not have quite the warmth that some of the BD jackets have. thanks.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

twystoflemon wrote:how would you guys compare the mountain hardwear ghost whisperer jackets to the BD jackets? the ghost whisperer seems to be the jacket of choice for UL backpacking at <8 oz, but i gather it might not have quite the warmth that some of the BD jackets have. thanks.
Well the Ghost Whisperer is an all-down jacket, and most of the BD jackets are hybrid synthetic and down or all synthetic. The one in question, the Forge, has down on the core and then synthetic on the shoulders and arms. So all the usual down v. synthetic tradeoffs apply. High quality down is much lighter than any synthetic insulation, but is worthless when wet or compressed. Typically full down jackets aren't good for high activity because you'll overheat too easily in them and compromise the down with sweat. For straight backpacking, it's not a problem since you basically never hike in a down jacket. But for more alpine objectives, the laying is more complex and likely to quickly change.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

^this too
twystoflemon wrote:how would you guys compare the mountain hardwear ghost whisperer jackets to the BD jackets? the ghost whisperer seems to be the jacket of choice for UL backpacking at <8 oz, but i gather it might not have quite the warmth that some of the BD jackets have. thanks.
Usually the manufactures put what fill, ect on the item description. that will help determine 'warmth' versus packability across brands in theory. The MH jacket is down while the BD is synthetic, so the comparison may get blurry. This is a debate probably, but for CO I much prefer down. My Bergans down still packs smaller than a nalgene and has been great from summer camping to winter ice climbing and BC skiing.

http://shop.bergans.us/p/slingsbytind-d ... ket-w-hood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Are you set on BD?

The Patagonia Nano Air hoodie is the most versatile jacket I've ever owned, albeit absurdly expensive. I've worn it comfortably from -10 to 60F simply by varying between tee shirt and long sleeve underneath. It has hand pockets, two chest pockets, is very comfortable to wear around camp and sleep in, the hood is outstanding and lets in very little wind even without a draw string, and the breatheability is unmatched. The only thing it doesn't do is not wet out easily, but I think that's asking a lot of any soft shell. What it does do is dry unbelievably quickly. I pulled it out of the washing machine soaking wet yesterday, hung it in the hallway and it was totally dry fifteen minutes later.
twystoflemon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by twystoflemon »

thanks for the responses on the ghost whisperer question. :)

it's true, coming from texas, daytime backpacking rarely requires down, except possibly while warming up in the mornings up in the guadalupe mountains. it's helpful to hear firsthand experience from you guys who deal with colder temps on a regular basis.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Thank you for the replies and feedback. Here's some more comparison details and photo of them velcro-strapped (see bottom) next to a liter bottle for perspective.

Puffy Model, Loft-4F*, Compressed Dimensions (dia' x length), Weight
Cold Forge Parka: 3.5" loft, 4.5"d x 10"l, 610g (1lb 5.5oz)
Stance Belay Hoody: 2" loft, 4"d x 9"l, 480g (16.9oz)
Hot Forge Jacket: 1.5" loft, 4"d x 9"l, 370g (13oz) no hood
Hot Forge Hybrid Hoody: 1.5" body 1" arm loft, 3.5"d x 9"l, 410g (14.5oz)
* Loft-4f: Did a four-fold (front and back then folded over) to highlight difference. Actual dead air between body and outside would be 1/4 that.
PuffyHoodyBD.JPG
PuffyHoodyBD.JPG (70.74 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
Note how the Cold Forge and Stance readily puff outside the compression band.

Similarities: All are light, compress down to nearly the same size compared to regular jackets, have zippered hand (warmer) pockets, zippered chest pocket (outside or in), inside drop pockets, and cinch-able bottom edges and hoods, hoods that work with or without a helmet, an athletic fit, and apparently DWR treatment to shed some light rain. So onto the...

Differences: The Cold Forge Parka (not C.F. Hoody) has a two-way zipper (seems common to BD parkas), is easily the warmest by fill, and has some butt cover yet can be up-kilted out of the way to sit on rocks thanks to that zipper. The Stance Belay and the Hot Forge are similar in specs, but the Stance's smooth shell, synth fill and thicker loft give it a foul weather edge. The Hybrid versions of the Hot Forge have thinner insulation in the arms so along with chest stuff pocket make for a light and active version, but could leave you wanting in a bivy, windy summit break, or chillin' on belay. BD's heavy-to-light progression in the Forge line goes ColdParka-Cold-Hot-HotHybrid with Hoody variants, and like the Forges the Stance has a heavier, two-way zip Parka version with the Stance Belay Hoody being 250g lighter than the warmer Stance Belay Parka.

Choice? The Cold Forge Parka is going in my pack whenever there's a chance of being immobile in the cold (bivy, sleeping bag booster, long shady windy belay) and for climbing where the two-way zipper works better with a harness and gear. All I have to do is think of a prior bivy and which I'd grab is a no-brainer. I'm also leaning toward keeping the Stance Hoody as a lighter option figuring it will weather better. The Hot Forge variants are nice, but think my fleece will suffice for an active layer which I don't have to fret tearing. I could always don the Stance when stopped then bag it when I continue on. I tried both small and medium so since I can fit a fleece under it if needed and have always been trim, went with the small.
pgunnz wrote:The one kind of annoying thing BD hasn't started doing on most of their puffies is adding a packable pocket.
Actually, the Hot Forge Hybrids have a stretchy internal chest pocket that you can turn inside out to stuff it as well as a key/carabiner loop. Another cheap and light way is to buy some sewing velcro which lacks the adhesive backing. Cut a length 60-90% of the circumference needed, peel it apart, overlap the ends, do a compression roll down, then strap. The spring-ier the material, the more overlap is needed, which is staggered below just to make it easier to see. A longer piece can always be double-wrapped or cut into smaller sections on the trail, and makes a great repair kit, MacGuyver-ing, and pack lashing piece. This piece (used in the top photos) is 1.5" wide, and many hardware stores also carry 1" and 2" widths as well.

Let me know if there any other in-person photos or info that would be helpful.
VelcroBandOneAndHalfInch.JPG
VelcroBandOneAndHalfInch.JPG (41.87 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."