Ursack minor critter bag vs. Ursack bear bag

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Ursack minor critter bag vs. Ursack bear bag

Post by douglas »

Would there be any reason to get just the critter bag if I'm mostly worried about varmints getting my food? Any advantage to getting that than just using the regular Ursack? I know it says it's not rated for critters, but seems like if it's bear resistant it would be to rodents as well.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ursack minor critter bag vs. Ursack bear bag

Post by ezabielski »

Richard Derkase wrote:
Think Kevlar; it'll stop a bullet, but you can shove a needle through it or cut fibers to make a hole.

Dick
The Ursack Minor is Kevlar. The Ursack Allwhite is Spectra.

The minor is designed to stop small sharp teeth. The Allwhite is designed to stop big dull powerful bear teeth.
scottaskinger
14ers: 39 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scottaskinger »

Hmmm...I can't imagine small, sharp teeth getting through the Kevlar on the bear bag. What I can imagine though, is them being able to sneak their way through the top enclosure and/or chewing on the rope that closes it. You can cinch the ursack tight and it still seems like there is a very small gap. My guess...could be wrong.
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

I have the white one (for bear) and it has stopped mice on at lead one occasion. Didnt even make a sent on it. Plenty of little turds on it though. I figured hanging it off a large rock, with hiking pole extension would be good enough for the little critters, but he had no issue getting to the end of the pole and down on to the ursack. No evidence of even where he might have chewed on it though.

On the same camp spot, I had some snack mix in the zipper waistbelt of golite backpack, and forgot about it. He had no problems getting to that snack mix.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

the bear version will protect your food from bears and from critters, the ursa minor will not protect against bears.

i use the all white (bear) one for all my trips. i use the aluminum liner when it's a known bear area, otherwise i carry just the sack. i have never run into bears, but i have had it stop mice, pikas, and marmots. there is only a three ounce difference between the bear and critter sacks, and it's so light compared to other canisters that i don't mind the three ounces (i have shaved far more than that from my pack weight in other areas), so i didn't waste the money on another sack.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

brichardsson wrote:the bear version will protect your food from bears and from critters, the ursa minor will not protect against bears.

i use the all white (bear) one for all my trips. i use the aluminum liner when it's a known bear area, otherwise i carry just the sack. i have never run into bears, but i have had it stop mice, pikas, and marmots. there is only a three ounce difference between the bear and critter sacks, and it's so light compared to other canisters that i don't mind the three ounces (i have shaved far more than that from my pack weight in other areas), so i didn't waste the money on another sack.
+1

I've used the Bear version since last year for all BP's. I still hang it when possible but even when in areas where no hanging is possible (typically at or above tree line) nothing has gotten into it. I put everything in it from food to toothpaste i.e. a clean tent and backpack.

When in Bear Country I have opted to deal with the potential of crushed food rather than use the aluminum liner. I suppose I'll make the determination after the first true bear use as to the usefulness of the liner. However as noted above I still hang when possible to reduce the risk.

As brichardsson stated the weight differential is not too bad compared to a stuff sack or dry sack (just compared on a Flat Tops BP last weekend) and trivial compared to the critter sack.

That said, if anyone has stories of critters getting into the bear version please chime in.
jsf80238
14ers: 26 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jsf80238 »

douglas wrote:Would there be any reason to get just the critter bag if I'm mostly worried about varmints the regular Ursack?
Does Rocky Mountain national park approve the Ursack Major as a bear canister, if I were planning an overnight there?
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

jsf80238 wrote:
Does Rocky Mountain national park approve the Ursack Major as a bear canister, if I were planning an overnight there?
Unless they've changed things this past year, I don't think they do. They only ones that I remember being approved are the hard sided canisters like the bear vault.