Climbing backpack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Climbing backpack

Post by dpage »

I have a MH Hueco 36 L which has features that I like, place for helmet, rope strap across the top of the bag, side pockets. But I don't like how bulky it is when trad climbing. I just started leading and have followed with it on several routes. Usually I feel like I'm swimming in it or that it shifts around too much.

To carry 60m rope, a trad rack, rock shoes, helmet, water in either bottles or hydration pack, food, jacket, etc, what is everyone's go to pack. Mostly I think I'll be on the Flatirons as I learn, later easy thing on Lumpy, much later Chaos Canyon. So I wouldn't mind something to get me toward my later goals.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Climbing backpack

Post by kaiman »

Have you checked out either of the Variant or Mutant packs from Osprey? Maybe one them will fit the bill:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/catego ... ks/alpine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the Variant 52 for alpine climbing but it is probably too big for what you'd be using it for so I'd check the smaller version.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Check out http://www.alpineluddites.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. John, the owner, is a climber and will design whatever you want. He's done two packs for me and I've been very happy. Warning these are custom and will be about be about 30% more than retail packs. For me the customization features were worth it.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

I'm not the biggest fan of Osprey for trad climbing. Too many bells and whistles and strings and whatnot.

Typically, we'll divy up gear so one person has a larger pack and one a smaller. Large pack stays at the base and small comes with on the follower.

MEC alpinelite 25 is my preference. Black diamond has a number of great purpose built packs for this too, but a partner had durability issues with the buckles. The patagucci alpinist packs are also great, but I don't like the closure system combined with stiffness on the 25L.

One of my main criterion is whether or not I can look up with the pack on.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Alpine Guy
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpine Guy »

I like the Cold Cold World Chernobyl, but sadly don't get to use it very often for it's intended purpose (climbing).
Roll No Rocks
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Monster5 wrote:Typically, we'll divy up gear so one person has a larger pack and one a smaller. Large pack stays at the base and small comes with on the follower.
This.
Monster5 wrote:One of my main criterion is whether or not I can look up with the pack on.
And this.

Packs that are comfortable and luxuriously featured on the approach are always going to be suboptimal while climbing, though low weight and compressibility will help. When contemplating a similar question a year or three ago, I went (and have been very happy) with a hipster Cilogear pack. That said, I know plenty of folks who like their BD, Patagonia, Osprey, etc.

One additional thing to keep in mind is your objective(s): alpine climbing and longer-approach cragging in the mountains have very different needs. As Mr. Monster mentions, proper planning with the partner is critical: if I'm carrying the rack, then there'd best be some really remarkable reason for me to also be carrying the rope.