Closed-Cell Sleeping Pad Suggestions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Closed-Cell Sleeping Pad Suggestions

Post by Exiled Michigander »

I'm tired of patching my self-inflating pad after nearly every camping trip. Any suggestions for a good closed-cell pad that is packable, comfortable, and has a decent R-value? Is using 2 closed-cell pads viable?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Closed-Cell Sleeping Pad Suggestions

Post by SkaredShtles »

I don't know of *any* truly "packable" closed-cell pads. They are so light, though, that using a thin closed cell under your self-inflating might be an option?

Because along with not being packable, I don't know of a truly "comfortable" closed-cell pad either.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm tired of patching my self-inflating pad after nearly every camping trip.
I've never had to patch mine yet. I think it is maybe 12 years old and has maybe 500 nights of use? Which pad do you have?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

What pad do you have...?

I have an 8 year old thermarest that has never needed a patch. Many times I've used it directly on the dirt and rocks.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Evazote-material foam pads are what all the cool kids are using for closed-cell nowadays.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

I've had the same problem with inflatable mattresses - primarily Big Agnes. Every single Big Agnes I have ever owned have all leaked, some even right out of the box. I had a Thermarest BaseCamp they held up well for 8 years before getting punctured. It also sucks inflating/deflating, so I too am looking for a foam mattress of some sort.

For car camping, I was thinking of just picking up some 3" thick multipurpose foam from Home Depot. Its 72x20 and 25$.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

lordhelmut wrote:For car camping, I was thinking of just picking up some 3" thick multipurpose foam from Home Depot. Its 72x20 and 25$.
My fiance bought some of this and sewed a couple removable sheets to case it. It's pretty comfortable, particularly paired with the cheap, flannel-lined hunting sleeping bags.

I considered buying the MEC Evazote pads to replace my bulky Z-lite, but apparently they're relatively heavy. A buddy's recommendation:
Pad you link to seems like what I have but it's way heavy (MEC). My old Gossamer Gear (yep, Evazote with the nitrogen) is 5.2oz for a 3/8"x19"x58". Similar one here is only 1/4" thick but should be fine: http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-hammock-pad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's double wide for a hammock so you'd have to cut it in half.

There used to be one sold somewhere else but I can't find it now. I put this grey pad under my small Neo Air Xlite (7.5oz) for a 13oz winter/high altitude setup. Worked great at 24k (Cho Oyo) and on Denali so warm enough for anything. I carry Tenacious Tape (REI) to patch Neo holes which only happen to mine about every year or 2. I trust it.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

My backpacking system is Z lite Sol (in yellow) and Neo Air XLite
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-r ... te/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-r ... te/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yellow foam pad has served me for several seasons now. It's bulky, but is super lite and attaches to the pack nicely on the side. But I really wish I got XTherm instead of Xlite, especially for winter camping. Oh well...
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

The Z Lite is probably the most popular. The Ridgerest is also pretty popular.

I've used both the Gossamer Gear Nightlight torso pad and the 1/8th inch foam pad quite a bit. The 1/8th pad would be perfect under an inflatable since it's extremely light (less than half the weight of a Z-Lite). It's a bit minimal by itself though.
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by fahixson »

Exiled Michigander wrote:Any suggestions for a good closed-cell pad that is packable, comfortable, and has a decent R-value?
I was also under the impression that Closed-Cell pads are inherently not packable or comfortable. A friend gave us a new Thermarest Z Lite, but I have not used it yet. For Closed-Cell advocates, are you typically using these pads by themselves or in combination with an air construction pad?

We're looking to buy new pads and debating between a cheaper air construction pad (e.g., Thermarest NeoAir Venture) in combination with a closed-cell pad (Z Lite) or spending a little more on the air pad and skip the closed cell pad (something like NeoAir Camper or REI AirRail 1.5). The NeoAir XTherm looks great, but we're also trying to keep the cost managable, even the XLite would be pushing the budget since we're buying two.

Lastly, is there a general consensus for a decent R-value? Assume you're camping on dirt/grass in temperatures between 20-50 F, what R-value would keep you comfortable?

Sorry to add questions to your thread without providing any useful info. For more non-useful info on closed-cell pads, but still related to sleeping pads in general, here is kaiman's thread from a few months back with lots of positive comments about the XTherm ... NeoAir XLite vs NeoAir X Therm
mtmanchris83
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtmanchris83 »

I've never had problems with inflatable sleeping pads and I've been using them for a long time, I've always used thermarest pads. I do use a closed cell under my thermarest when I'm sleeping on snow, it makes a huge difference insulating from the cold ground. They're not really packable but they're super light weight, so I just strap it to the outside of my pack. I just use a cheap one from walmart, it gets the job done and if it gets scratched up in the trees, I don't really care.
"There is precious little in civilization to appeal to a Yeti.” - Sir Edmund Hillary
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Still love my own NeoAir X Therm - bivvy in it all the tiem - still use a ground cloth + check the area thouroughly before throwing it down. XTherm is tougher on the bottom to help with creating leaks compared to the XLite.

The higher the R rating the better, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think anyone has ever said, "Gosh if only my pad was colder, I'd get a better night's sleep!"

Think of difference between the hypothetical R rating of a water bed that's not heated and a regular mattress, when the ambient temp outside is ~ 40 degrees.