Hot weather pants

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Hot weather pants

Post by pvnisher »

What are the best pants for really hot, humid weather ?
Constraints on this list are :
No zip offs
Reasonably durable, although performance trumps durability
Must be sold at rei or ems
Tall, thin sizes preferred (no plain 'large')

With those constraints, what do you recommend?
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Hot weather pants

Post by dsunwall »

I've been buying Kuhl lately, there stuff seems quite durable with some clever designs. As with most things these days they make so many models it's hard to decide on one. The Radikils are very cool, ventilating material along the entire inseam and the outer seam, you can see it in the photo. REI has them and my wife tells me Murdocks does as well. Pricey but worth it.
https://www.rei.com/product/897725/kuhl ... -30-inseam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
well, actually that material is for stretch but seems to vent some as well.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

So shorts are out?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Right, no shorts. For cultural/practical reasons, pants it is. And zipoffs are out, too. Otherwise, yes, I'd go with almost any pair of shorts over pretty much any pair of pants!
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

I stopped buying kuhls 4 years ago. I still have some 10 year old kuhls that refuse to die but I have had some serious hit and miss with them. I bought a pair of marmot's at STP. Great price, material, and construction. The performance not as good. I can do yoga stretches with Kuhls but not with the marmots, if this helps.
Stone Climber
14ers: 49  17 
13ers: 51 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Stone Climber »

5.11 Tactical made a taclite series pants and shorts a few years ago. Easily the most comfortable pants I've worn. Not sold at REI, but its a cheaper option. Very durable for how light they are.
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

Like my White Sierras. They go by waist size but they run tall on the inseam. Fairly cheap and they've survived a year of banging around Missouri and Arkansas in lots of hot, humid, dirty places with no real problems. I have the convertible pants but I'm assuming their full pants are similar material.
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

Check out the Prana Stretch Zion pants, lightweight, stretchy, super comfortable and they come in different lengths..

https://www.rei.com/product/894353/pran ... -34-inseam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

I love these pants:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens- ... pants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Super stretchy, wind/water resistant and still breathable. Not super expensive either.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I often wear pants in hot weather for practical reasons (protection against bugs, brushes, rocks, etc), but I have yet to find a pair that’s as comfortable in hot weather as shorts (stating the obvious). I think you just need to get used to being hot and less comfortable if you decide to wear pants. I spent some time traveling in southeast Asia in a pair of REI pants made from Shoeller dynamic fabric. They were stretchy, breathed fairly well, and somewhat bearable in hot and humid climate. I think light colored fabric is important especially if where you’re going is very sunny. I’d stay away from the nylon quick-drying type of fabric because in my experience they tend to drape and cling to my skin, feels kind of uncomfortable. Currently my favorite pants are the Mountain Hardwear Chockstone, probably very similar to the Prana Stretch Zion and OR Ferrosi recommended above. The thin and loose fitting Thai fisherman’s pants seemed very popular in southeast Asia, probably because they’re comfortable, but I just couldn’t rock that style.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
psycholoco
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by psycholoco »

If you like the Zions, check out the Prana Brion pants. Same material, but less casual (no cargo pocket) and are 'slim fit'. I tried on quite a few pairs of pants at REI, and I thought the Brions had the best cut/fit/style. I haven't had a chance to use them in hot/humid conditions yet, so I can't say how cool they would be.

https://www.rei.com/product/885789/pran ... -34-inseam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

Chockstones and Zions are where it's at, worth the price.