Sleeping Bags, Liners and proper use.

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CamKelley
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sleeping Bags, Liners and proper use.

Post by CamKelley »

lkk8815 wrote:A bit off topic from the original question, the REI garage sales have some sweet deals on sleeping bags. I scored a 0° Marmot down bag for $95, it's worth checking out instead of worrying about liners.

Also, sleeping in skivies to "stay warmer" was just about the worst advice I heard tried once in the army. Shivered miserably all night lol. Warm layers keep you warmer. :)
I've been seeing them. Trying to finish the racecar so I can divert funds to bulking up the camp/hike section of my garage.
TallGrass, you're a wealth of knowledge. Most of which i've picked up from Army or other experience, but I hope that other readers of this post will pick up some of it!

I'm looking forward to getting out there and if nothing else, camping on the mountain until I get enough training time in.
Yukon Ron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yukon Ron »

My Beautiful Wife and I share a Feathered friends dual. That, for me, is as good as it can possibly get. rated at 20F we have done lower, no issues.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I just spent a night out that temperatures dropped into the teens. I had a 6 year old down 32 degree sleeping bag. I slept wearing all the clothes (besides shells) I had with me. I stayed warm enough to get decent sleep. As long as you have enough room in the bag to wear the extra clothing without compressing all the insulation then added clothes mean added warmth.

Most people buy a sleeping bag with a rating low enough to be below those just-in-case temperatures. My preference is to carry a lighter sleeping bag, and then on the cold nights make up for it by wearing your extra clothes. You have them with anyway, why carry an extra liner? Plus on those cold nights it's a whole lot easier to get up and going if you are already wearing your clothes and they are pre-heated.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I agree with the idea of wearing extra clothes if needed. Works for me. As long as they're not wet or moist. A puffy coat is great if temps dip lower than expected.

Find a sleeping pad with some R-rating. There are some great ultra lightweight ones out there. That made a HUGE difference for me!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Elizabeth37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Elizabeth37 »

Does anyone use a 100% synthetic bag you would recommend for backpacking?
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Elizabeth37 wrote:Does anyone use a 100% synthetic bag you would recommend for backpacking?

I've used my EMS LT 20 degree bag for 20 years, no complaints so far.
CamKelley
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CamKelley »

I was really oblivious to UL synthetic bags, so news to me.. Glad I found some lol