Essentials for Backcountry Touring

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
sanjuanmtnguide
14er Checklist Not Entered

Essentials for Backcountry Touring

Postby sanjuanmtnguide » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm

Howdy, I just put together this little blog about the mini-repair kit I carry on all of my backountry ski tours. Thought it might be helpful for some and I would be interested in seeing/hearing what other people bring or view as essential touring kit. Thanks! http://mtnguide.net/blog/
Dave B
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Essentials for Backcountry Touring

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Cool writeup. One of my dynafits exploded early season last year and I had to plow through deep snow for miles (uphill both ways too) with one boot and one ski to get back to the car. I've carried a repair kit ever since but some good ideas in here.

Thanks!
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir
COBuckeye
14er Checklist (32)
14ers Skied (7)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (8)

Re: Essentials for Backcountry Touring

Postby COBuckeye » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 am

In addition to the steel wool, would you consider carrying a small packet of two-part 5min epoxy for repairing a stripped screw? I don't know how often you would encounter a stripped screw in the field, but the weight penalty of the epoxy is nil.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”