Say no to Microspikes! Yes to trail-crampons

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
2 left ft
14er Checklist (34)
13er Checklist (21)

Re: Say no to Microspikes! Yes to trail-crampons

Postby 2 left ft » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:15 pm

I've found Icetrekkers work well for me. Link from the front page to REI and support the web site.

http://www.rei.com/product/806475/kako-icetrekkers-diamond-grip-traction-system
djkest
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby djkest » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Dex do you have some sort of vested financial intrest in people buying these over microspikes?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
speth
14er Checklist (49)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby speth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:39 pm

BenfromtheEast wrote:I think Kahtoola MICROspikes are the most helpful piece of gear I carry for Colorado hiking at least eight months of the year. I agree that the spikes on these trail crampons look too big and would be less effective on rocks. I don't think I've ever wished my MICROspikes had bigger spikes.

Dex, some feedback couldn't hurt after a couple years of use. In the mean time, we know Kahtoola MICROspikes are the appropriate traction device in Colorado when a full crampon isn't necessary. And their durability has been well established.

Stick with the MICROspikes, kids.

(The capitalization is how you'll find them printed on Kahtoola's website. I think it's also ironic.)

What Ben didn't tell you is that every time he mentions MICROspikes™, he receives 10¢ from Kahtoola.
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.
powhound
14er Checklist (42)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (80)

Postby powhound » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 pm

My thoughts on microspikes...both pros and cons...
They work well until the slope angle reaches about 30 degrees on firm snow. Then they start to lose their bite ... especially sidehilling, where they also shift and don't stay on straight under your foot. So I purchased Petzl Vasak crampons (steel teeth, straps on a regular hiking boot) which I now use on terrain over 30 degrees. The microspikes are much easier and quicker to put on and remove so I tend to push them to their limit before switching over to the crampons.
I've had snow dangerously ball up underfoot only in the wettest spring snow, where I probably should have removed them and just enjoyed some soft plunge stepping. Anyway a quick whack with my hiking pole knocks it loose.
Another area where microspikes work well is on steep, smooth, hard-pan dirt that is sprinkled with a fine coating of gravel/scree. I'd have to wonder if anything aluminum would take this kind of abuse.
Overall, I am happy with the microspikes.
Last edited by powhound on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannymiller15
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby dannymiller15 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:57 pm

2 left ft wrote:I've found Icetrekkers work well for me. Link from the front page to REI and support the web site.

http://www.rei.com/product/806475/kako-icetrekkers-diamond-grip-traction-system

+1

I use both Icetrekkers and Microspikes. I find the Icetrekkers, which are a little lighter, work great on most mixed outings. I go to the Microspikes when i'm predominately in snow. Both great, durable products.
Oldskool70
14er Checklist (28)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (1)

Postby Oldskool70 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25 am

If you are gonna run on ice you can always go the cheapie route like the great one Matt Carpenter !!!

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

It is time to go to Lowes now that I think about it. :-s
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.
TK
14er Checklist (17)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby TK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 am

B-Dog wrote:I'm happy with my microspikes but I have never tried a similar product.

If I was in the market to buy a pair, I would question who knocked off who. I work for a company and our competitors have over the years back engineered a lot of our stuff (without improving anything). All things considered reasonably equal, I'd support the innovator, not the imitator.

+10. Innovation always trumps infringement for my $$.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Oldskool70 wrote:If you are gonna run on ice you can always go the cheapie route like the great one Matt Carpenter !!!

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

It is time to go to Lowes now that I think about it. :-s

I just gave in and bought a couple of 100-screw boxes from Amazon a few years ago. Lifetime supply. :) It's surprisingly hard to find boxes of the short screws for some reason - maybe they get scarfed up by the running clubs.

If you're looking for enough for several lifetimes, try this. $83 for 8000 screws - enough for several hundred pairs of shoes!
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
Dancesatmoonrise
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:46 pm

I keep a dedicated pair of screw-shoes for icy trails, but usually use the spikes for peaks. Often year-round for decents. We used spikes and poles to get down the approach from Cynical Pinnacle last week and it worked great. I have to admit I'm a die-hard microspikes fan.

If there's something significantly lighter out there that still works pretty good though, I'd like to try it. The spikes actually weigh about 14 oz on the scale.

People often ask how much spikes cost. I ask them what their co-pay is. Just sayin'.
onepeakatatime
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby onepeakatatime » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 pm

I like to hike on dirt and rock (Class 1 & 2). But this year I bought a pair of microspikes so I could start my training earlier in the season. I found I could keep the microspikes in my pocket till I needed them. When they were needed, I found them to be comfortable and very helpful. I use to have have crampons but just did not care for them. For the laid back hiker, I highly recommend micospikes.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”