Say no to Microspikes! Yes to trail-crampons

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Tortoise1
14er Checklist (15)

Re: Say no to Microspikes! Yes to trail-crampons

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 am

They look nice. But I believe Red Green has already done the duct tape / water jug thing, so that part isn't new.
kansas
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby kansas » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:11 am

One huge advantage microspikes have over these trail crampons is the convenience factor of being able to walk on semi rocky terrain. I'm pretty sure rocks would destroy these half-ass crampons in a heartbeat. Most hiking routes in Colorado have a fair amount of rocky terrain, even in winter. With microspikes there isn't much of a need to stop and take them off for dry patches and they work great for the majority of hiking routes since they hold up well on long stretches of rocky terrain. I hate stopping to swap footwear (crampons, snowshoes, microspikes) which makes me think these would be a bigger pain than any advantage added by the bigger spikes.

My Colorado crampon arsenal is pretty complete with a set of real mountaineering crampons and a set of microspikes and I don't really see any advantage to these. If I need anything more than microspikes, real crampons are the best solution.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
Dave B

Postby Dave B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:14 am

Why?

Microspikes are more than sufficient for Colorado winter hiking. I can't imagine needing or wanting longer spikes unless traveling on hard neve (which doesn't really exist in CO).

Not sure I'd want aluminum either, wouldn't last five minutes when used on rocky trail.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir
Somewhat of a Prick
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 am

kansas loser wrote:One huge advantage microspikes have over these trail crampons is the convenience factor of being able to walk on semi rocky terrain. I'm pretty sure rocks would destroy these half-ass crampons in a heartbeat.

Ding ding ding
Jeff Valliere
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (15)

Postby Jeff Valliere » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 am

I have Kahtoola Microspikes, Kahtoola aluminum crampons and Kahtoola steel crampons. I can attest that the aluminum crampons, though very nice and great when you are looking to go light and need something a bit more than Microspikes, they do wear down very quickly if only used on rock just a little bit. The steel version of the crampons are a little heavier, but in my opinion it is worth the minimal added weight as they have longer points than the aluminium and are much more durable.

But, in just about all circumstances when I am walking and need traction (and not actually climbing), Microspikes are perfect.

In reference to the title of this thread, "saying no to Microspikes", I can only state my opinion, after having used most products out there, Microspikes excel in performance, longevity/durability and customer support/warranty. In my opinion, Kahtoola (Microspikes in particular) are at the top of the list.

That said, having more choices for traction is a great thing, as it was not too long ago that the choice was crampons or nothing at all.
Last edited by Jeff Valliere on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenfromtheEast
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (7)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (25)

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 am

I think Kahtoola MICROspikes are the most helpful piece of gear I carry for Colorado hiking at least eight months of the year. I agree that the spikes on these trail crampons look too big and would be less effective on rocks. I don't think I've ever wished my MICROspikes had bigger spikes.

Dex, some feedback couldn't hurt after a couple years of use. In the mean time, we know Kahtoola MICROspikes are the appropriate traction device in Colorado when a full crampon isn't necessary. And their durability has been well established.

Stick with the MICROspikes, kids.

(The capitalization is how you'll find them printed on Kahtoola's website. I think it's also ironic.)
thePhoenix
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby thePhoenix » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:11 am

BenfromtheEast wrote:
(The capitalization is how you'll find them printed on Kahtoola's website. I think it's also ironic.)

Ironic indeed!

If you read the reviews on the hillsounds, they pretty much confirm the "balling" and "not withstanding rocky terrain" comments. A number of reviews are by users who have both and use both. I actually have both, but they're brand new and I haven't used either yet. I have a feeling I'll primarily use the MICROspikes, but I'm happy to report back after I have more details about routes I use them on in the upcoming months.

Unrelated to Function: the funniest review was a user who put them on inside the house before walking outdoors, and was surprised they left marks on the wood floor. #-o
Somewhat of a Prick
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (13)

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 am

thePhoenix wrote:
BenfromtheEast wrote:
Unrelated to Function: the funniest review was a user who put them on inside the house before walking outdoors, and was surprised they left marks on the wood floor. #-o

MUni Rider
14er Checklist (49)

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:38 am

Don't count out the Hillsound for running. I had picked up a pair of Mil-Spec Ice Crampons from Barre Army/Navy Store. I have used them for that for a few years now and they are great. Yeah, a bit heavier than the Katoolas, but only by a few ounces, and that heavier/thicker metal has lasted years. They are identical to the http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/ in every way.

Most of my running with them has been down the Barr Trail after hiking up the incline during the winter. They are bomber. I have never slipped, not even on those long sheets of smooth ice. Ever. Flat runs are great too. You will only notice the weight running up hill for long distances, but it's reasonable.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
MuchosPixels

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 am

kansas wrote:One huge advantage microspikes have over these trail crampons is the convenience factor of being able to walk on semi rocky terrain. I'm pretty sure rocks would destroy these half-ass crampons in a heartbeat. Most hiking routes in Colorado have a fair amount of rocky terrain, even in winter. With microspikes there isn't much of a need to stop and take them off for dry patches and they work great for the majority of hiking routes since they hold up well on long stretches of rocky terrain. I hate stopping to swap footwear (crampons, snowshoes, microspikes) which makes me think these would be a bigger pain than any advantage added by the bigger spikes.

My Colorado crampon arsenal is pretty complete with a set of real mountaineering crampons and a set of microspikes and I don't really see any advantage to these. If I need anything more than microspikes, real crampons are the best solution.

+1

very true
B-Dog
14er Checklist (44)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (17)

Postby B-Dog » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm happy with my microspikes but I have never tried a similar product.

If I was in the market to buy a pair, I would question who knocked off who. I work for a company and our competitors have over the years back engineered a lot of our stuff (without improving anything). All things considered reasonably equal, I'd support the innovator, not the imitator.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”