Hunting Season Safety

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
RobertPetrowsky
14er Checklist (20)
14ers Skied (4)
13er Checklist (8)

Re: Hunting Season Safety

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:19 am

I have to wait for 2nd rifle but I finally drew my zone 48. I'm excited to get a chance to actually have cold weather push the elk lower. Bring on the SNOW!

As far as wearing orange for safety, I think it is actually most important with upland game such as pheasants. It gives a good peace of mind when you have 10 shotguns in front of you in a grass field and are the one blocking the end. It gives the hunter a bright spot to know not to shoulder a firearm in that direction. Rifle season has relatively few hunters so I don't see it being nearly as critical but I wouldn't want to be hit with anything I hunt with out to a couple of miles so the peace of mind helps there too.
kbmiller
14er Checklist (28)

Postby kbmiller » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:50 am

Last year, there were two hunting fatalities in Colorado and 8 additional injuries attributed to "getting shot". Of the 10, five were self-inflicted by careless gun handling. The vast majority of hunting injuries/deaths in Colorado are due to hunters being out of shape, with quite a few cardiac cases and horse-related injuries. Given the death/injury rate of climbing 14ers (tragically high), you face a higher probably of dying or being injured climbing 14ers than hunting, or being in the field during hunting season. Since the advent of a blaze orange requirement and hunters safety courses, the death/injury rate from hunting is dramatically down from the 1960s. I wouldn't worry about climbing during hunting season -- not a whole lot of elk/deer near the well-beaten trails going up the peaks. Most of the hunters are in the woods at the 8-10k altitude where the animals are.

Pronghorn hunting in Wyoming this weekend, elk in early November, and deer in Nebraska in December -- lots of good food coming to my freezer (hopefully).
Chicago Transplant
14er Checklist (56)
14ers Skied (10)
14ers in Winter (23)
13er Checklist (575)

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am

Just hike in the National Parks where there is no hunting allowed. Oh, wait... nevermind.

In general I don't run into too many hunters on the trails, I see them primarily driving to the trailheads; either going past their campsites or seeing them go by on ATVs or Pickups. If you stick with peaks that have a trail to treeline and don't have to bushwhack, wear bright colors and keep your dog leashed (and with an orange vest on) you should have 0 problems. I don't actually wear blaze orange per se, I wear a cheap safety vest like what you see constructions workers on the side of the road wear, orange and yellow with reflective stripes. It also fits over my backpack. That way I can still wear the jackets I know keep me warm and comfortable and stay visible. My shell is red and my down puffy and fleece are both a muted orange, so while not "blaze orange" they aren't exactly going to be confused with an elk either, especially with a traffic vest on over them.

Most of the people I have ran into on the trails have had been carrying their rifles with their fingers away from the trigger and the muzzle pointed away from the trail. I have never felt unsafe coming across a hunter on the trail and they usually are curious to talk to me about what I saw up trail, which unfortunately for them is usually a bunch of nothing, as noted above, the elk tend to move lower in the cold season. I did have a hunter tell me to be quiet once that I would scare all the elk away. The funny part is that myself and my hiking partners were actually talking to his hunting partner at the time!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”