Hunting Season Safety

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Re: Hunting Season Safety

Postby Vids » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:58 pm

ajkagy wrote:
oldschoolczar wrote:Hiking in the same area as hunters always creeps me out a bit too...

How can I find out if hunting is allowable on a specific trail?

if it's on national forest/BLM/or wilderness it's allowed. Town open space parks it varies. National Park it's not allowed, so you won't have to worry there.

1st rifle Oct 12-16
2nd rifle Oct 19-27
3rd rifle Nov 2-10
4th rifle Nov 13-17

Good information, I'll add a little more. Go to http://wildlife.state.co.us/RulesRegs/HuntFishRegulationsBrochures/Pages/RegulationsBrochures.aspx and download the Big Game Brochure. It's fairly complicated, but if you look at the map of hunting units and then cross reference that back to the species you can find out exactly when and where the seasons are in effect.

ajkagy is correct on the four main rifle seasons for deer and elk, but be aware that there is some form of big game hunting going on in the mountains pretty much from mid August through January depending on where you are. Then of course there are turkey hunters out in April/May, and predator hunting can be done year-round. You really only have June and July as hunting free months.

The risk of getting shot is pretty much nil though.
3rdGenNative
14er Checklist (30)

Postby 3rdGenNative » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:20 pm

randalmartin wrote:The first Elk season opens this weekend. I am always a bit leery of hiking in areas where there may be rifle hunters. Am I being overly concerned?

Years ago I had this conversation with a female coworker:
Her: "One year Larry shot a fawn."
Me: "Why on earth would he shoot a fawn?"
Her: "Well, he couldn't see exactly what he was shooting at."

Yes, I'm a hunter. Because of this conversation I've always preferred hunting antelope to deer or elk. There's hardly anywhere to hide out in the flats.

After seeing a number of guys drink the night before opening day and then roam around looking for something to shoot at I'd strongly suggest a cheap orange vest from Walmart.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver
RobertPetrowsky
14er Checklist (20)
14ers Skied (4)
13er Checklist (8)

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35 pm

I think this post needs some perspective from a responsible hunter. I have heard of people shooting the wrong animal because it was misidentified but it is a very rare event compared to the number of hunters out there. Something to keep in mind is the hunters are working to get closer to the animals. This usually involves being quite a ways from any established trails where animals know there are loud, scary humans and tend to avoid them. It is pretty rare to see a hunter along a trail unless he is using it to access an area in which he or she will leave the trail. The exception is grouse hunting, which I am guilty of hunting near trails, although I always know where the trail is in relation to where I am shooting.

Overall, yes, it does make you safer to wear bright colored clothes such as hunter orange while hiking in hunting season, but it is not necessary.
oldschoolczar
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby oldschoolczar » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:21 pm

ajkagy wrote:
oldschoolczar wrote:Hiking in the same area as hunters always creeps me out a bit too...

How can I find out if hunting is allowable on a specific trail?

if it's on national forest/BLM/or wilderness it's allowed. Town open space parks it varies. National Park it's not allowed, so you won't have to worry there.

1st rifle Oct 12-16
2nd rifle Oct 19-27
3rd rifle Nov 2-10
4th rifle Nov 13-17

Thanks for the info!
"Where's the beef?" -Wendy
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 pm

RobertPetrowsky wrote:I think this post needs some perspective from a responsible hunter. I have heard of people shooting the wrong animal because it was misidentified but it is a very rare event compared to the number of hunters out there. Something to keep in mind is the hunters are working to get closer to the animals. This usually involves being quite a ways from any established trails where animals know there are loud, scary humans and tend to avoid them. It is pretty rare to see a hunter along a trail unless he is using it to access an area in which he or she will leave the trail. The exception is grouse hunting, which I am guilty of hunting near trails, although I always know where the trail is in relation to where I am shooting.

Overall, yes, it does make you safer to wear bright colored clothes such as hunter orange while hiking in hunting season, but it is not necessary.

Good post. We're not all drunk, clueless hunters who shoot anything that moves.
ThuChad
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby ThuChad » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:31 pm

I recommend going to bethedecoy.com and picking up one of these and wearing it while hiking. You will feel much safer.

I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
ajkagy

Postby ajkagy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:01 pm

RobertPetrowsky wrote:I think this post needs some perspective from a responsible hunter. I have heard of people shooting the wrong animal because it was misidentified but it is a very rare event compared to the number of hunters out there. Something to keep in mind is the hunters are working to get closer to the animals. This usually involves being quite a ways from any established trails where animals know there are loud, scary humans and tend to avoid them. It is pretty rare to see a hunter along a trail unless he is using it to access an area in which he or she will leave the trail. The exception is grouse hunting, which I am guilty of hunting near trails, although I always know where the trail is in relation to where I am shooting.

+1

stoked for 1st rifle!
Scott P
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Scott P » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Here's how some people hunt out here in Craig:

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Postby Vids » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:23 pm

ajkagy wrote:
+1

stoked for 1st rifle!

+1 more, can't wait for this weekend myself! Good luck!
pvnisher

Postby pvnisher » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:41 pm

I was coming down (Antero? Princeton? Who knows...) and had bullets whizzing by my head from a couple of good ol' boys out plinking marmots in the scree fields from the comfort of their 4x4. Some bullets whizzed and whined (which didn't worry me too much), others cracked as they passed. That made me worried. I was descending at about 35 degrees off from their direction of fire. I was on the trail, they were on the road at a bend. A richochet could have easily hit me.
I stopped by, took some photos of them and their vehicle, it got a little heated, and they informed me it was legal to hunt marmots. Who knew? I looked it up and they were right.
But they were still stupid and dangerous. And I don't think they were eating the marmots or collecting pelts.
After attempting to intimidate me (with firearms in hand) they left and drove back down.
asbochav
14er Checklist (31)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby asbochav » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:49 pm

"We're not all drunk, clueless hunters who shoot anything that moves"

Maybe, but I'm not so worried about you as those who shoot up road signs and "anything that moves" or, apparently, doesn't move. Besides, if all hunters were careful and responsible why would we need to wear orange?
Eppur si muove
Clapton is God
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Postby Vids » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 pm

asbochav wrote:"We're not all drunk, clueless hunters who shoot anything that moves"

Maybe, but I'm not so worried about you as those who shoot up road signs and "anything that moves" or, apparently, doesn't move. Besides, if all hunters were careful and responsible why would we need to wear orange?

You wear orange so a hunter can see you even from a long ways off, and make the decision long beforehand that they won't shoot at an animal in that direction. That's the main reason, rather than preventing intentional up close shots at a mistaken target. A lot of the accidents happen when a hunter shoots at an animal and the bullet travels beyond that and hits someone. Rifle bullets can travel several miles so it is important to identify things you don't want to hit even if it's on a hillside a mile away. For example - There is no requirement for orange in archery season, even though you could still get hit if you get within about 80 yards.

Yes, there are some idiot hunters out there by they are far and away the minority. You should be more afraid in your car on your way to the trailhead, or of yourself making a mistake and getting lost or hurt.

A question for pvnisher: What color clothing were you wearing and were they aware that you were there? I ask because I've had the same situation happen, so I made my presence known by waving my arms and yelling. Every time they've acknowledged me and stopped shooting until I was well out of the danger zone.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”