Topo Software (Slope angles, Avalanche terrain)

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
oldschoolczar
14er Checklist Not Entered

Topo Software (Slope angles, Avalanche terrain)

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Does anyone know of any software out there that allows one to easily calculate slope angle or identify avalanche terrain?

I know I can measure this on a topo or probably via google earth, but my old crappy laptop doesn't run google earth very well.

What would be nice is if I could just draw a line and it would almost just cut a profile for me (yes, I know I'm lazy because I don't want to measure on a topo map). Or at the very least I'd like to be able to measure horizontal distance between contours to calculate slope angle. I'm looking to make planning easier via technology.. I can do this on a topo, but I don't have a topo for every route I want to examine.

I think my Garmin software that came with my Etrex (Backcountry?) might do this.. I need to take a closer look.

The ultimate goal here is to identify avalanche terrain on/above winter routes. I think I recollect a website or something that already had a lot of this information on it for Colorado peaks.. maybe it was color-coded? Does anyone know of a site like this?
"Where's the beef?" -Wendy
geojed
14er Checklist (50)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (96)

Re: Topo Software (Slope angles, Avalanche terrain)

Postby geojed » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Caltopo.com is what you are thinking of. It has colored slope shading based on slope angle.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain
rking007
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby rking007 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 pm

geojed wrote:Caltopo.com is what you are thinking of. It has colored slope shading based on slope angle.

Checking out Caltopo now, is there a color key for slope angle I'm not seeing?
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
oldschoolczar

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Awesome, thanks Geojed! I think that is what I was looking for..

Rking, it looks like there's a layer for "slope angle shading". Unfortunately, it isn't working well with my older version of IE. Can't search and zoom to a location, but this might actually work on my personal laptop because I can maybe use Chrome or Firefox. Looks fun to play around with.. thanks again!
rking007
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby rking007 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:48 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:Awesome, thanks Geojed! I think that is what I was looking for..

Rking, it looks like there's a layer for "slope angle shading". Unfortunately, it isn't working well with my older version of IE. Can't search and zoom to a location, but this might actually work on my personal laptop because I can maybe use Chrome or Firefox. Looks fun to play around with.. thanks again!

I've got a good connection here at work and I can get the color shading to work but I'm not seeing any kind of slope angle key or anything like that. At the very least it's nice to see the different color areas, veeeeery useful.

The other thing I haven't seen is something as simple as state boundries. It took me more than a few minutes to find I-70 and I had to google Custer National Forest to realize I was all the way north in Montana after zooming in... :lol:
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
oldschoolczar

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:19 pm

There's a color key in the bottom right corner of my screen. It shows like 27 degrees - 60 degrees shaded. This is a pretty sweet site!
rking007
14er Checklist (13)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby rking007 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Huh, I got it now too after reloading the page. Odd. The site is running a lot smoother too now.
Rock-a-Fella
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 pm

You may find Hillmap useful as well. Split screen with "Caltopo Layers" you can drop on them

http://www.hillmap.com

Have fun with them
sam

Postby sam » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 am

Caltopo is great. Here is a screen shot. In order to show the slope angles you have to choose the layer (shown with arrow on the left). The color key is shown with arrow on the bottom right. Spend some time with Caltopo, it is a great PLANNING tool, but remember it does not take the place for actual on the ground measurements of slope angles!

Oh heck, I cannot figure out how to post the screen shot/photo, sorry
forbins_mtn
14er Checklist (23)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 am

wow. great site. i just spent a ridiculous amount of time staring at our state. thanks for the link, guys

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”