Large bottles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
jomagam
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (9)

Large bottles

Postby jomagam » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Hello All,

I did a 2+ hour trail run on Saturday with a 24-oz polar bottle in my hand. I could have used more liquid which made me wonder if they make larger bottles with a valve. I've carried a 64-oz bottle for runs before, but it was just from some store bought fruit juice and had the usual twist lock, which is not the most convenient to use while in motion. I thought about carrying one 24-oz bottle in each hand, but I also like to eat once in a while or just shake my hand out. Any ideas ?
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Re: Large bottles

Postby TallGrass » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Something like this?

Image http://www.ultimatedirection.com/p-600-ak-race-vest.aspx

"Running Jesus" is affiliated as are others noted. http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/capitol-snowmass-link-up/ There's also belts and camelbacks, etc.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
ThuChad
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby ThuChad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:28 am

The Camelback Delaney DC is nice if you want to stick with bottles. Not sure if they still make them. I can't stand carrying bottles in my hands especially when trail running.
TonkatsuDave
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (12)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (35)

Postby TonkatsuDave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 am

On longer runs i bring 2 16oz handheld bottles and will say that it is not an issue at all. it is easy to get used to holding both in one hand when you need a free hand to eat, adjust layers etc.
jomagam
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (9)

Postby jomagam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could try the AK Race Vest (especially since I'm little bit on an Anton groupie) to see if having something on my back would bother me. I've tried one waist pack and stopped after 100 yards. It was so annoying to have something move around at my waist. Maybe I had it set up incorrectly...
madbuck

Postby madbuck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:55 am

Despite my reluctance to spend money on gear for "just running," I have the UD SJ vest (from a good sale) and enjoy that, fits snugly. Agree that "bouncy" packs don't work so well. They're pretty cool and receptive as a company, so you may contact them about trying one out.

For handhelds, I'd rather go with 2 smaller bottles (16-20 oz) than a bigger one, although I've done that in the past as well. Do you have a strap for your hand on the handheld? That helps a lot. It keeps your hands more relaxed (tension from squeezing/grip tends to accumulate more fatigue in the shoulder than just using the biceps to carry the bottle), and you can easily slip the bottle up on your wrist for a moment (or carry it in your teeth!) in order to free your hand for a few quick rock moves, and when 1 or both bottles are empty, you can carry them both in one hand briefly to take a break.

The strap solutions are stupid expensive for what they are, around $20/piece for another proprietary water bottle, despite many people having a bunch at home already -- as if making and selling the strap by itself requires alien technology or something. [/rant] Eventually got some of the "legit" ones as gifts, but for awhile, I made duct-tape straps on my bottles that worked just as well.
SkaredShtles

Postby SkaredShtles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:15 am

:mrgreen:
jomagam
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (9)

Postby jomagam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks madbuck ! I'll try the duct tape straps just for fun. I'll consider a store bought one in case I ever run a marathon again to do aid stations more efficiently.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”