Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Greenhouseguy
14er Checklist (40)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (113)

Re: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:15 pm

The XTerra is much heavier-duty, with body on frame construction like an old truck instead of unibody construction like the Cherokee. The Pro-4X model comes with skid plates and a slew of other off-road goodies, and is one of the tougher vehicles you can find. The fold-flat front passenger seat sounds like it might make it easier to sleep in.

http://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/xterra/versions-specs/version.pro-4x.html
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Greenhouseguy wrote:I think that people are talking about two different vehicles in this thread: the Cherokee Trailhawk and the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.
Even three different... (middle flipped for angle)
Cherk.JPG
Cherk.JPG (52.63 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Roald
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (1)

Postby Roald » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 pm

winmag4582001 wrote:IMO, there isn't a road/trail that I've been up/down, that a stock Jeep could out perform a stock Forester.

This is an insane statement, unless Subarus have really changed in the last few days. I got my stock 2000 Cherokee up to 10,100 ft on the Lake Como Road a few weeks ago. Good luck getting anything Subaru makes up that far.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
its_not_a_tuba
14er Checklist (34)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Greenhouseguy wrote:The XTerra is much heavier-duty, with body on frame construction like an old truck instead of unibody construction like the Cherokee. The Pro-4X model comes with skid plates and a slew of other off-road goodies, and is one of the tougher vehicles you can find. The fold-flat front passenger seat sounds like it might make it easier to sleep in.

http://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/xterra/versions-specs/version.pro-4x.html

You forgot to mention a 0-60 time equal to a Porsche Cayenne.Get a six speed manual and don't ever look back, except to see the looks of all those people you just flew by on I-70. It's hard to beat an Xterra.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
TallGrass
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:
Greenhouseguy wrote: ... XTerra ... The Pro-4X model comes with ...
You forgot to mention a 0-60 time equal to a Porsche Cayenne.

O-rly? Even the battery-packing Cayenne hybrid which weighs a 1/4-ton MORE posted a time of ...

2013 Model, 0-60, HP, Torque, Weight
Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 4.4 sec, 500hp, 516 lb-ft, 4784 lbs.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, 5.4 sec, 420hp, 381 lb-ft, 4597 lbs.
Porsche Cayenne S, 5.6 sec, 400hp, 369 lb-ft, 4553 lbs.
Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid, 6.1 sec, 380hp, 427 lb-ft, 4938 lbs. (46% more hp & 52% more torque than Pro4x)
Nissan Xterra PRO-4X, 6.7* sec, 261hp, 281 lb-ft, 4425 auto (4408 manual) lbs.

http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/2013/2013_Cayenne_Specs_w_GTS.pdf
http://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/xterra/versions-specs
* http://autos.aol.com/cars-Nissan-Xterra-2012/expert-review/ No 2013 spec found, based off 2012 version which has same HP and Torque, but weighs 4417 lbs.

Both pale compared to a 2012 Ariel Atom 500: 0-60mph in 2.3 sec, but the clearance is kind of lacking. :twisted:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
winmag4582001
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (28)

Postby winmag4582001 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:17 am

Roald wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:IMO, there isn't a road/trail that I've been up/down, that a stock Jeep could out perform a stock Forester.

This is an insane statement, unless Subarus have really changed in the last few days. I got my stock 2000 Cherokee up to 10,100 ft on the Lake Como Road a few weeks ago. Good luck getting anything Subaru makes up that far.

I owned a Jeep. The fact is, it was a POS and I didnt care how I treated it. That is the only difference.
To base an entire purchase off of one road in America, that the Trailhawk can't make it up any ways, and neither did you, is kinda ridiculous. IMO
When you make it to the top, I'll be impressed.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
its_not_a_tuba
14er Checklist (34)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:16 am

TallGrass wrote:
its_not_a_tuba wrote:
Greenhouseguy wrote: ... XTerra ... The Pro-4X model comes with ...
You forgot to mention a 0-60 time equal to a Porsche Cayenne.

O-rly? Even the battery-packing Cayenne hybrid which weighs a 1/4-ton MORE posted a time of ...

2013 Model, 0-60, HP, Torque, Weight
Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 4.4 sec, 500hp, 516 lb-ft, 4784 lbs.
Porsche Cayenne GTS, 5.4 sec, 420hp, 381 lb-ft, 4597 lbs.
Porsche Cayenne S, 5.6 sec, 400hp, 369 lb-ft, 4553 lbs.
Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid, 6.1 sec, 380hp, 427 lb-ft, 4938 lbs. (46% more hp & 52% more torque than Pro4x)
Nissan Xterra PRO-4X, 6.7* sec, 261hp, 281 lb-ft, 4425 auto (4408 manual) lbs.

http://press.porsche.com/vehicles/2013/2013_Cayenne_Specs_w_GTS.pdf
http://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/xterra/versions-specs
* http://autos.aol.com/cars-Nissan-Xterra-2012/expert-review/ No 2013 spec found, based off 2012 version which has same HP and Torque, but weighs 4417 lbs.

Both pale compared to a 2012 Ariel Atom 500: 0-60mph in 2.3 sec, but the clearance is kind of lacking. :twisted:

The 2013 model year Porsche is considerably faster than its predecessors. 2012 Cayenne base model 0-60 was 7.3 seconds. Since I'm never one to let the facts get in the way of a good story I stand by my statement.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Porsche-0-60-mph-Times.html

In all fairness though I looked up the Trailhawk and 2014 Limited is posting a time of 6.6 seconds. Damn.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
TallGrass
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:09 am

its_not_a_tuba wrote:2012 Cayenne base model 0-60 was 7.3 seconds.
2012 Xterra base model 0-60 was 7.4 seconds. (4.0L V6)
2012 Cayenne base model 0-60 was 6.5 seconds. (3.6L V6)
mtnview
14er Checklist (27)

Postby mtnview » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:01 pm

The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk hits the sweet spot for me in terms of reasonable gas mileage and reasonable off road capabilities. The reasonable fuel mileage is accomplished via a physical rear drive disconnect so to run on just the front wheels when on the highway.

When compared to the RAV4, Honda CRV, Ford Escape it is far more capable to get to trailheads. I think it would have no problems on Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass (excluding that one part of Engineer Pass to Ouray).

If you view the videos, the Trailhawk made it through the Rubicon Trail. I am sure they had an expert off road driver at the wheel though.

My only concern is what has already been mentioned about long term reliability of the Jeep brand (especially when paying $35k) and I would have preferred another inch of clearance from 8.7 inches to 9.7 inches.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm
its_not_a_tuba
14er Checklist (34)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 pm

TallGrass wrote:
its_not_a_tuba wrote:2012 Cayenne base model 0-60 was 7.3 seconds.
2012 Xterra base model 0-60 was 7.4 seconds. (4.0L V6)
2012 Cayenne base model 0-60 was 6.5 seconds. (3.6L V6)

Stop trying to kill my soundbite! Here, you can argue with Car & Driver from back in 2005!

"Nonetheless, the VQ has enough guts to sling the Xterra from 0 to 60 in just 7.3 seconds, which makes Nissan's off-roader quicker than the 310-hp Volkswagen Touareg V-8 and as quick as a 335-hp Porsche Cayenne S."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/nissan-xterra-off-road-4wd-road-test-driving-impression-page-2
djkest
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (16)

Postby djkest » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:47 pm

That being said, it is very cheap to modify a Jeep in order to handle some worse stuff, but, you will be killing your gas mileage, ride and resale.

Like someone else said, this is an insane comparison. Comparing ground clearance on a Forester to a Jeep Wrangler is apples to oranges. The Jeep has a solid rear axle. It's stronger and has more articulation than independent suspension. The ground clearance is measured to the bottom of the rear diff, which is about 3" lower than 95% of the rest of the vehicle underneath, unlike a vehicle with independent suspension. Also keep in mind that a Rubicon is a "stock" jeep.

The Jeep also has LOW RANGE which is the biggest downside to attempting to use a Subaru on any real 4x4 trail. You either have to abuse the clutch or bang up your vehicle driving way too fast on certain parts.

If you think these details don't matter, you couldn't be more wrong. I remember seeing 3 Subarus trying to cross the creek in American Basin. Coming back, they all had huge problems because a wheel would lift off the ground, and due to having open differentials, the airborne wheel would spin and all forward progress would cease.

Details matter. I like Subarus and used to own one, but I would never call it an offroad vehicle.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
winmag4582001
14er Checklist (27)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (28)

Postby winmag4582001 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:09 pm

djkest wrote:
That being said, it is very cheap to modify a Jeep in order to handle some worse stuff, but, you will be killing your gas mileage, ride and resale.

Like someone else said, this is an insane comparison. Comparing ground clearance on a Forester to a Jeep Wrangler is apples to oranges. The Jeep has a solid rear axle. It's stronger and has more articulation than independent suspension. The ground clearance is measured to the bottom of the rear diff, which is about 3" lower than 95% of the rest of the vehicle underneath, unlike a vehicle with independent suspension. Also keep in mind that a Rubicon is a "stock" jeep.

The Jeep also has LOW RANGE which is the biggest downside to attempting to use a Subaru on any real 4x4 trail. You either have to abuse the clutch or bang up your vehicle driving way too fast on certain parts.

If you think these details don't matter, you couldn't be more wrong. I remember seeing 3 Subarus trying to cross the creek in American Basin. Coming back, they all had huge problems because a wheel would lift off the ground, and due to having open differentials, the airborne wheel would spin and all forward progress would cease.

Details matter. I like Subarus and used to own one, but I would never call it an offroad vehicle.

Son, I grew up in southern Iowa thinking that a 3/4 ton Chevy, 454 with 32's was the roughest toughest vehicle on earth.
Subaru's AWD system doesn't allow wheel spin even if the wheel is off the ground on any post 2000 vehicle. The original post asked for opinions, therefore I gave. If you want to bounce an overpriced Jeep up to Como, fine, do it. If you want to get to a trailhead, Forester. If you want to go to Moab and climb the shark's fin, build a diesel rock crawler. IMO
When I see jeep sitting on the podium for the Dakar rally or any WRC, I may change my opinion. When I see expeditions traversing the artic or Sahara in a jeep rather than a Land Cruiser, I'll take a second look.
IMO. The Trailhawk is about as much a off-road vehicle as a Z71. H1 is a good off roader and was actually completely designed to so.
IMO. Good vehicles: Toyota FJ, 4Runner, Land Cruiser
Nissan Xterra
Subaru Forester/Outback
IMO. Not so good vehicles: Land Rovers because they rarely run. Unstoppable when they do though.
Jeeps
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”