Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
djkest

Re: Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Postby djkest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 am

TallGrass wrote:Instead of buying a new car, buy a hitch, small trailer and a dual-sport bike. Costs less, better mileage, faster through the rough stuff, can get to more places (Como), and at the end of the day you can ride it back to your plush paved-road vehicle in addition to having a fun errand runner in town that only weights about 250# and gets 65mpg. Heck, if you get a KLR- or KLX-250 or such, you don't even need a trailer if you have a beefy enough hitch and a side ramp. http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/27/dual-sport-motorcycle-comparison-test/

On the two times I've been to lake como, I've never seen a motorcycle up there. I think the steepness/looseness/crappiness of the route would be extremely difficult for a 2-wheeler.Now a 4x4 ATV, I could see.

Apparently my friend just bought a Trailhawk to go with their RAM power wagon. They seem to like it quite a bit.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
TallGrass

Postby TallGrass » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:44 pm

djkest wrote:I think the steepness/looseness/crappiness of the route would be extremely difficult for a 2-wheeler. Now a 4x4 ATV, I could see.
Sooo, worse than Argentine Pass? :twisted: I've just seen bikes be able to get in, out, and through enough hairy places that others could not, and besides, they don't need a "road," only a 4" wide is enough and a lot easier to to "thread" through versus a 6 or 9' wide vehicle with two tracks to worry about. Either way, I doubt the OP would Trailhawk Como, thus a MC might work as an approach vehicle for him.
Image Image Source
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
Scott P

Postby Scott P » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Get one of these:

I would just go for the Jeep Wrangler, but I can't justify the purchase considering I don't live in the Rockies. I do a decent amount of hiking every year, which requires traversing some nasty roads, but the majority of my driving is on quality roads.

I would say most of my off-road trips are similar to the Grays and Torreys approach.

In all seriousness, if the majority of the roads you drive on are good roads and the off road trips you are talking about are similar to the Grays/Torreys Road, something like a Forester or Outback would make a lot more sense. Those vehicles are fine for roads like the Grays/Torreys one, get much better gas mileage than a Jeep and are more comfortable on road.

If you were planning on doing serious off-roading on a regular basis, the choice would be different, but something like a Subaru makes much more sense if you are just making occasional trips on roads like the one to Grays/Torreys.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ulvetano

Postby ulvetano » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:13 pm

denvermikey wrote:The biggest issue that would keep me from ever purchasing a GC is the reliability. The Jeep GC has consistently been one of the worst SUVs on the market as far as reliability. Another side effect of this is that the resale value is terrible.
I personally would lean more towards a Nissan XTerra (although a bit smaller) or maybe a Toyota 4Runner. Either of these would (more than) suit your needs, most likely be much more reliable, and not tank so hard in their value(s).
This is not to say that the Jeep will for sure break down, it's just that the odds of it having issues are far greater than most.

I had this same concern when even considering Grand Cherokee last year, but after reading current reviews (i.e. Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc), that M.O. is well out of date. The GC is best of class and crushing 4runner (my previous all time favorite) in terms of reliability and overall rankings. The quality of the ride is way better in a GC than in a 4runner or Xterra, or really anything out them IMO.

Since my May purchase last year, I've got 28k miles and been to many TH's (Antero, Colony Lakes, Princeton, many in ID and WY, etc) and it has performed awesome. I bet the Trailhawk would be sweet.
shearmodulus

Postby shearmodulus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Jeeps have a mixed history in the Cherokee line with wiring and electrical issues. A trusted mechanic I do business with tells me he has seen a lot of issues with the liberty drivetrain, specifically the transmissions. As for subarus, he advises against anything older than a 2005 due to head gasket issues. I have a silverado as my daily driver, and a tricked out s-10 blazer with 37-inch tires and heavy-duty axles that I will be running up to Lake Como next spring. But unless you are a hard core crawler, any 4-wheel drive light truck like a Tacoma, Colorado, Nissan x-terra or similar class of vehicle should get you up the trail as far as you need to get. Frankly, the GC is overkill and a gas hog to boot for someone who values fuel efficiency.
Greenhouseguy

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:08 pm

I think that people are talking about two different vehicles in this thread: the Cherokee Trailhawk and the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

The Cherokee Trailhawk is an XUV that is based on the relatively new Dodge Dart platform. The Cherokee replaces the Liberty, which has been discontinued. It reportedly outperforms the Liberty in angle of approach, angle of departure, and breakover angle. I'm not sure about clearance. Gas mileage should hit the low 30's. It's probably superior to most XUVs in that it comes with skid plates, tow hooks, locking rear differential, two-speed transfer case, and 1" more clearance than the standard Cherokee. It's probably fair to compare it to an Outback or Forester, since it's built on a passenger car platform. If it performs as well as a Subaru, it could be an ideal Colorado vehicle for people who like to drive the occasional Forest Service road, but aren't really interested in rock crawling.

The Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is the real-deal SUV. Jeep claims that it's their best-ever Grand Cherokee, and I don't doubt it. It comes with full skid plates, rock rails, tow hooks, a sophisticated AWD system, and a ton of clearance. Other than a Rubicon, I'm not sure there's anything new out there that could beat it off-road. On-road, it would have to best-in-class.

Obviously, there's a big price difference between the two Trailhawks.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
SuperiorTrailHiker

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Totally unnecessary and somewhat unrelated commentary - I have a 2010 Wrangler JK and I still turn around to look at it after I park it, in 2013.

Slow, gutless, thirsty, loud, and rides like a Matchbox car, and I've never loved any vehicle more.

It spends most of its time being a car in Minnesota, but it has gotten to be a Jeep in Colorado. I did that 11 miles of bad road back to LaPlata recently and smiled the whole way. Met a low-slung car on the road to Halfmoon trailhead on Massive, and to be nice and accomodating I ran up and over a rocky berm to make way for her, and smiled the whole way.

They make very little practical sense to own, but I do carry a picture of it.
Klinger1986

Postby Klinger1986 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:46 pm

djkest wrote:
Klinger1986 wrote:Would you consider the Trailhawk a "stock" Jeep?

For $30k, you could get a "Pro-4x" Xterra that would be more off-road capable, but would look out of place at the Philharmonic Orchestra concert or cruising the streets of Vail in the winter.

This is the type of information I'm looking for. I honestly don't care about the outer appearance. I drive a Prius C, not because it looks cool, but because it gets 55mpg. The same would apply for this vehicle. I am looking for something that can preform on the road and off the road, is cost effective, and is more roomy than my Prius. I do not know a lot about the Xterra, but I am going to start looking into it.

ulvetano wrote:
denvermikey wrote:The biggest issue that would keep me from ever purchasing a GC is the reliability. The Jeep GC has consistently been one of the worst SUVs on the market as far as reliability. Another side effect of this is that the resale value is terrible.
I personally would lean more towards a Nissan XTerra (although a bit smaller) or maybe a Toyota 4Runner. Either of these would (more than) suit your needs, most likely be much more reliable, and not tank so hard in their value(s).
This is not to say that the Jeep will for sure break down, it's just that the odds of it having issues are far greater than most.

I had this same concern when even considering Grand Cherokee last year, but after reading current reviews (i.e. Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc), that M.O. is well out of date. The GC is best of class and crushing 4runner (my previous all time favorite) in terms of reliability and overall rankings. The quality of the ride is way better in a GC than in a 4runner or Xterra, or really anything out them IMO.

Since my May purchase last year, I've got 28k miles and been to many TH's (Antero, Colony Lakes, Princeton, many in ID and WY, etc) and it has performed awesome. I bet the Trailhawk would be sweet.

After a little research I have found that GC do have some fall backs. If you check out this link(http://www.truedelta.com/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee/problems-144/2012)it seems that there are a lot of electrical problems with their vehicles. I personally do not like taking a gamble, so this is a variable that I'm going to have to consider.

Greenhouseguy wrote:I think that people are talking about two different vehicles in this thread: the Cherokee Trailhawk and the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

The Cherokee Trailhawk is an XUV that is based on the relatively new Dodge Dart platform. The Cherokee replaces the Liberty, which has been discontinued. It reportedly outperforms the Liberty in angle of approach, angle of departure, and breakover angle. I'm not sure about clearance. Gas mileage should hit the low 30's. It's probably superior to most XUVs in that it comes with skid plates, tow hooks, locking rear differential, two-speed transfer case, and 1" more clearance than the standard Cherokee. It's probably fair to compare it to an Outback or Forester, since it's built on a passenger car platform. If it performs as well as a Subaru, it could be an ideal Colorado vehicle for people who like to drive the occasional Forest Service road, but aren't really interested in rock crawling.

The Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is the real-deal SUV. Jeep claims that it's their best-ever Grand Cherokee, and I don't doubt it. It comes with full skid plates, rock rails, tow hooks, a sophisticated AWD system, and a ton of clearance. Other than a Rubicon, I'm not sure there's anything new out there that could beat it off-road. On-road, it would have to best-in-class.

Obviously, there's a big price difference between the two Trailhawks.

This is something that I'm a little confused on, Greenhouseguy. I keep hearing the Trailhawk being called the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, but the Jeep website does not indicate this. In fact, their website almost makes it seem like they are synonymous. On their website, when you go to build a Jeep, it just calls it the Trailhawk. So is there a Cherokee Trailhawk and a GC Trailhawk? Maybe this is something you could clarify?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss
Greenhouseguy

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:45 pm

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Tortoise1

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:36 pm

shearmodulus wrote:As for subarus, he advises against anything older than a 2005 due to head gasket issues.

I don't think there's any solid evidence that they ever solved the head gasket problem. I've seen it as late as 2010. It's seems to be a congenital design issue on the boxer engine. They announce a new gasket every couple years but the problem never seems to go away.

Plus Subaru has such abhorent commericials. The music alone is enough to make you want to throw up. It's my view that they must pay a price for this.
mtnview

Postby mtnview » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 pm

And the new Subaru Forester has the CVT tranny which turned me off.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm
Klinger1986

Postby Klinger1986 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks, Greehouse. I have no idea how I missed this on their site. When asking the question, I was just referring to the Cherokee Trailhawk. The GC Trailhawk looks very impressive with the Quadra-Lift and Quadra-Trac II. The only drawback would be the extra 10k, and the hit on MPG. Would you say the Xterra and the Cherokee Trailhawk would be comparable? Does anyone know if the Xterra offers skid plates?
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”