Metatarsalgia Ball of Foot Pain

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Dancesatmoonrise
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Re: Metatarsalgia Ball of Foot Pain

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm

MyFeetHurt wrote:Admittedly I still have not seen a doctor, but as a last ditch effort before another trip I had scheduled, I bought some cheapo Dr Scholls pads to fit behind the balls of my feet (a little tough to find as most stores only sell arch support crap). I had never seen or heard of this style of pad until now, but let me tell you they worked. It was tough to get the placement right, but over 5 days of hiking with a heavier pack and the same shoes, the ball of foot pain was gone, though my feet were still tired. I think I'm on to something...

Interesting, you beat me to the punch. Like Bigtrout, I had it as well. Only the orthopedist said to get some cushioning. He didn't say what kind. I found a Spenco thing at REI - not the superfeet, not arch support, but super-cushy. They don't make the same exact one any more, but sounds like you found something similar. Anyway, long story short, it worked great. Sometimes I still feel it when I'm walking around barefoot on the hardwood floors, but never on hikes. I got a pair for every shoe. I put them in on top of the shoe's footbed/insert in most cases. Since that time, I've done as much as 30 miles in a day with no metatarsalgia pain.

So yeah, I think you're on to something. Most medical stuff don't cost near what they charge. :-D
MyFeetHurt
14er Checklist (55)

Postby MyFeetHurt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
MyFeetHurt wrote:Admittedly I still have not seen a doctor, but as a last ditch effort before another trip I had scheduled, I bought some cheapo Dr Scholls pads to fit behind the balls of my feet (a little tough to find as most stores only sell arch support crap). I had never seen or heard of this style of pad until now, but let me tell you they worked. It was tough to get the placement right, but over 5 days of hiking with a heavier pack and the same shoes, the ball of foot pain was gone, though my feet were still tired. I think I'm on to something...

Interesting, you beat me to the punch. Like Bigtrout, I had it as well. Only the orthopedist said to get some cushioning. He didn't say what kind. I found a Spenco thing at REI - not the superfeet, not arch support, but super-cushy. They don't make the same exact one any more, but sounds like you found something similar. Anyway, long story short, it worked great. Sometimes I still feel it when I'm walking around barefoot on the hardwood floors, but never on hikes. I got a pair for every shoe. I put them in on top of the shoe's footbed/insert in most cases. Since that time, I've done as much as 30 miles in a day with no metatarsalgia pain.

So yeah, I think you're on to something. Most medical stuff don't cost near what they charge. :-D

So my next question is... how the heck to do you manage to keep that pad in place? I spent my whole trip tapping my toes and heal against rocks every few hundred yards to get the pads set in the right spot. They had some sticky stuff on the bottom but that lasted about 5 seconds. If this works, I will need to change my avatar.
LostSole
14er Checklist (30)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby LostSole » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:10 am

Duct tape it to the insert of the boot (that's what I do with my orthotics) it works
Dancesatmoonrise
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm

MyFeetHurt wrote:So my next question is... how the heck to do you manage to keep that pad in place? I spent my whole trip tapping my toes and heal against rocks every few hundred yards to get the pads set in the right spot. They had some sticky stuff on the bottom but that lasted about 5 seconds. If this works, I will need to change my avatar.

The ones I got fit perfectly in the shoe. So they don't move around. Nothing to tape, nothing to need to stick.
I called Spenco at one point when a friend was having troubles so I know they don't make this one any more but they make something similar.

The replacement would probably be either these:
http://www.rei.com/product/824617/spenco-polysorb-proform-replacement-insoles

Or these:
http://www.rei.com/product/806577/spenco-polysorb-walkerrunner-replacement-insoles

Bottom line, I think anything that fits into the shoe like an insole and is pretty cushy will work.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”