Does anyone still wear boots?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Gabriel
14er Checklist (36)

Re: Does anyone still wear boots?

Postby Gabriel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 am

I really like my Alico Tahoe full grain leather traditional welted boots.
Marty369
14er Checklist (18)

Postby Marty369 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:03 am

I have a bad ankle that I've rolled numerous times. I still wear Fugatives 90% of the time.
jpenny
14er Checklist (24)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (27)

Postby jpenny » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:23 am

I use trail runners year round. Unless I am doing a really steep snow climb that requires some more technical crampons, I can't see why I would go with boots. Just did the loft yesterday with microspikes and Kahtoola KTS crampons, which are designed for trail runners. I use a Gore-Tex pair of runners for winter ascents and a supremely sticky pair for summer ascents. I have not found a boot yet that sticks to rock quite like my shoes, which is very helpful for 4th and 5th class. Particularly on 5th class, I prefer the flexibility of runner also. They also make lightweight snowshoes to run in that are compatible with trail runners and work great. Support was once an issue for me as I turn a lot of ankles but I found the right shoe and have had no problems since.

BTW - I use La Sportiva Ultra Raptors as my shoe of choice when there is no snow. Got me up over 20 14ers in one season and did the bells traverse as the last one and they still had enough stick to offer all the confidence I could get from a pair of shoes. I use them on up to 5.6 slab climbing and 5.10 vertical as they grab the rock and they do not let go. When a sharp toe is needed however rock shoes come into play. In winter anything I can afford with Gore-Tex.
ezabielski
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby ezabielski » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:43 am

Almost everyone I know who wears boots, wears them because "they have weak ankles" and they are prone to rolling their ankle. It seems to me that this is a feedback loop:

You roll your ankles -> you get more supportive boots -> your ankles get weaker because they are more supported by the boot -> you roll your ankle...

I wear trail runners. Have I rolled my ankle? Yes, but less and less as time goes on because (a) my ankles are stronger and (b) I have more footwork technique then I used to. I ran down the Barr Trail earlier this year (La Sportiva C-Lite 2.0's) and didn't roll my ankle once in two hours of running downhill.

EDIT: Obligatory HYOH.
Last edited by ezabielski on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy
14er Checklist (24)

Postby Randy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:05 am

Hike every week for 30 years then youll be in boots. Trail runners don't cut it for me.
ezabielski
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby ezabielski » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:26 am

Randy wrote:Hike every week for 30 years then youll be in boots. Trail runners don't cut it for me.

Ray Jardine has hiked at least 17,000 miles of thru-hiking alone since his first trip on the PCT in 87. Not counting day trips, weekend trips, or climbing trips. He still hikes in very average road running shoes.
jpenny
14er Checklist (24)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (27)

Postby jpenny » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah I run with guys in their 50s who have been putting up 100 mile weeks since their high school days. They all run in trail runners. Now to each his own and I don't doubt boots might work better for many people. I believe in finding the right footwear for each individual person. I just also believe that the majority of boot wearers could find trail shoes that work for them through research and experimentation. There are shoes for everything now. Boots will weaken your feet as ezabielski said and make you more prone to injury until you don't have much of a choice in wearing boots. They make supportive runners, minimalist runners, sticky runners, thick sole runners (Hokas), and just about everything else. I still run in a pretty supportive shoe most of the time, but I supplement that with running barefoot in grassy fields and the occasional (very) short trail to keep my feet strong. Haven't turned an ankle since.

Also as a trail runner running in trail runners, I love huge talus fields with monstrous elevation gain. Never had a problem there.

I believe footwear is a very personalized decision. You might not be able to wear what I wear and vice versa. I was only able to find what worked for me through trial and error and lots of research. But with a few exceptions (medically terrible ankles, glacier travel), I just don't really believe in boots unless you plan on wearing those the rest of your life, which as a runner I could not fathom.
gerrys
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (36)

Postby gerrys » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Footwear for hikers is like golf clubs for golfers; golfers wouldn't putt with a driver or drive with a putter - hikers shouldn't bushwhack in trail runners or trail hike on a hot day with heavy boots. I count 6 different pair that I wear based on conditions and go as light as possible, but no lighter. My wife calls me Imelda.
Last edited by gerrys on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonehead
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby bonehead » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Of course I still wear boots.
I just put mine on
so I can walk down to the mail box.
It's dangerous out there.

Edit:
And a worthy trip it was.
An old girl friend sent me a package
from Omaha Steaks. Woo Woo!
Last edited by bonehead on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpinenut
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (19)

Postby alpinenut » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:22 pm

My boots have saved my ankles countless times when scrambling through talus and boulder fields. I wear lighter weight (with very stiff soles) for summer and mountaineering boots for winter. I love the idea of <=12oz shoes to hike/climb in but I know that I would hurt my ankles.
ezabielski
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby ezabielski » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Dex wrote:
ezabielski wrote:
Randy wrote:Hike every week for 30 years then youll be in boots. Trail runners don't cut it for me.

Ray Jardine has hiked at least 17,000 miles of thru-hiking alone since his first trip on the PCT in 87. Not counting day trips, weekend trips, or climbing trips. He still hikes in very average road running shoes.

How did those work with things such as snow, ice, snow shoes, crampons, cold water, below freezing temps, and carrying a 35+ lb pack down a steep talus field while being chased by a (possibly rabid) dog who's owner did not have on a leash?

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/stupid-light-not-always-right-or-better/

I don't see how this is relevant. If you have a specific situation that you want to wear boots for -- do it (HYOH). Andrew Skurka does make quite an argument against boots in his book, as well.

By the way, I've used trail runners for ice, snow, crampons, cold water, and below freezing temps, going down a talus field, and getting chased by dogs.

Not sure the last time I had a pack over 35 lbs. It was a while ago.
jpenny
14er Checklist (24)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (27)

Postby jpenny » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Trail runners with
ice - microspikes,
snow - Gore-Tex and gaiters
crampons - I prefer KTS crampons but there are others
below freezing - thick wool socks and keep moving, I always carry toe warmers for worst-case scenario, even if I stop it takes a LONG time for my feet to get cold but maybe that's just me
going down a talus field - ummm, not even sure why you can't use trail runners, I run down talus fields in mine
getting chased by dogs - why in the world would you want boots for this??? outside of getting bit on the foot.
snowshoes - Kahtoola RNR 22 snowshoes, made for running in trail runners, and lighter than almost any other snowshoe
cold water - wicking socks and breathable shoes dry out in less than 10 minutes of activity
35 lb pack - My rain jacket, rain pants, climbing rope, microspikes, crampons, extra socks, climbing harness, a few cams and nuts, extra base layers, water, food, iodine, camera, phone, keys, extra jackets, and down pants don't weigh 35 pounds. And that's not all I carry. However I have trained by doing laps on Fern Canyon trail in Boulder with a 50 pound pack in trail runners. Worked fine.
So to answer the question how they worked in such conditions, I would say pretty dang well.
We may want to remember to keep an open mind and do some research before we discount an entire class of footwear for anything but class 1 summer hikes.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”