Does anyone still wear boots?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
caad4rep
14er Checklist (31)

Does anyone still wear boots?

Postby caad4rep » Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 am

Just curious, does anyone still wear boots for summer climbs? It seems that trail runners have pretty much taken over. Has anyone besides me not made the switch yet?
randalmartin
14er Checklist (45)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (20)

Re: Does anyone still wear boots?

Postby randalmartin » Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 am

If I am expecting lose talus/scree (most 14ers) then I normally wear mid boots (Ahnu Elkridge). When using Trail Runners I have had several cases of rock striking/scraping against the side of my ankle and prefer the protection of a light boot. There are some pretty good light weight mid rise boots on the market (Ahnu Elkridge and Keen Targhee II are two that I have tried) and that is what I would target as opposed to stiff, heavy traditional backpacking boots.
screeman57
14er Checklist (55)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (55)

Postby screeman57 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:05 am

I wear lightweight boots, mainly to protect my ankles. I love hiking in my Chacos, but have broken my foot doing so. Waiting for Chaco to invent a boot-sandal.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold
forbins_mtn
14er Checklist (23)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 am

i've worn boots for the last 3-4 years. i just bought some trail runners and i'm dying to see the difference. if i hate it, i'm going straight back to boots. i'm gonna give being a minimalist a shot this summer.

i'm doing an REI Flash 18, water, first aid kit, lite rain/wind jacket and trail runners and see if I like it more.
painless4u2
14er Checklist (58)

Postby painless4u2 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:10 am

Just got a pair of Ahnu Elkridge Mid eVent hiking boots from REI and tried them out in Kings Canyon N.P. Love 'em. They're nearly as light as runners, very comfortable right out of the box, sturdy and well made, and the eVent breathes way better than Goretex. I like the protection boots like this offer, since we often hike off trail or up tons of talus/scree and runners just don't offer that level of protection.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"I mean, what could go wrong?" - Brett Maune

Justthefactsman. Your new moniker.
powhound
14er Checklist (42)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (80)

Postby powhound » Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 am

Booots...Yah, you betcha! (couldn't resist - my wife is from MN) I have been known to roll my ankle a few times through the years. In boots, I can shake it off immediately or just a little RICE+Advil, and I am right back in business. Very manageable. In low cut hikers, it is a purple swollen mess that requires some significant down time. Funny thing is, it always happens on benign terrain, when I am relaxed with my guard down. Just last Thursday was the latest example. I was doing a bushwhack, scrambly route for a few hours...very focused. Then late in the day on the way back, I was tired and came through a flat area with good trail...cruisin' along, relaxed, admiring the scenery, stepped on a rock the size of a golf ball and ... CRANK goes the ankle. If I didn't have my boots on I'd be sidelined and miserable right now, instead of planning my next adventure for this week.

As others have mentioned, if you enjoy going off trail, scree/twigs/etc. really pile up in low hikers. Also, sidehilling. I try to avoid it, but sometimes it can't be helped. Boots are a must here. The human foot can only handle so much abuse. Boots support the ankle and arch much better. That makes a big difference when you have been (unintentionally) abusing your feet while having too much fun in the outdoors for many decades. The wear and tear adds up, and takes its toll.

Tip: A foot dunk in a cold stream on the way down from a peak is pure bliss and standard procedure for me, as it refreshes my hot, swollen dogs for the remaining miles yet to go. Take care of your feet and they'll take care of you!
SkaredShtles
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby SkaredShtles » Tue May 28, 2013 10:21 am

My main issue with the shoes I've used is under-foot support for rocky terrain. To prevent my feet from getting *really* butchered I need a nice solid sole. And I've never found trail shoes that have soles stiff enough to prevent pain...
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (46)
14ers in Winter (21)
13er Checklist (161)

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am

caad4rep wrote:Just curious, does anyone still wear boots for summer climbs? It seems that trail runners have pretty much taken over. Has anyone besides me not made the switch yet?

I wear mid-weight hiking boots all summer. On more technical routes I'll use scrambling shoes or climbing shoes.
dnye
14er Checklist (17)

Postby dnye » Tue May 28, 2013 10:51 am

climbinfool
14er Checklist (46)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (48)

Postby climbinfool » Tue May 28, 2013 10:57 am

I've essentially always worn running shoes and not boots (except in winter), but those ones Ahnu makes look like they'd be a good middle path.
mtree
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby mtree » Tue May 28, 2013 11:25 am

I've used both. Trail runners when I'm just "training" on easy well-known hikes. Boots for everything else. Trail runners can leave the bottoms of my feet pretty sore if its a long hike. No problems with good boots so far. The extra protection is well worth the small gain in weight.

The ultra lightweight minimalist hiking plan doesn't work for me. I WANT to strengthen my body by carrying all the equipment I need if I have to spend an unexpected night in the wilderness! And I want to be able to carry that equipment with ease. I'd be fooling myself if I went ultra light and then decided it was time for an overnight backpack trip! Ouch. Reality would suck.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody
MountainHiker
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (104)

Postby MountainHiker » Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 am

I wear lighter boots in the summer but still want the ankle protection. These are the Rocky Mountains!
Taken over? Must be a small sample size!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”