Spare Tire Thefts

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
realhillboarding
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (15)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (2)

Spare Tire Thefts

Postby realhillboarding » Mon May 06, 2013 10:00 am

Since there are likely lots of Jeep Liberty and Wrangler owners on this site, I thought I would alert everyone that there has been a rash of spare tire thefts on cars with rear-mounted spares in Denver lately. I learned the hard way this weekend :twisted: . Put a lock on your spare!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/denver/denver-police-investigate-rash-of-spare-tire-thefts
ajkagy
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Spare Tire Thefts

Postby ajkagy » Mon May 06, 2013 10:04 am

wow sad. Never really even gave a thought that someone would steal the spare on my jeep. I wonder if all the thefts are connected or the same individual or group of people? This kind of stuff makes me glad I don't live anywhere near a city.
realhillboarding
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (15)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby realhillboarding » Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 am

I'm guessing its a group - all the spares in my neighborhood were stolen the same night. I saw several different makes/models missing their spares the same morning in a several-block radius.
Jay521
14er Checklist (41)
14ers in Winter (9)
13er Checklist (118)

Postby Jay521 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 am

Bought my FJ a couple years ago and the dealership (Stevinson) gave me a set of 5 wheel locs telling me that the externally mounted spare was a magnet for thieves...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
yedi

Postby yedi » Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Just to piggyback on this, I had my full-size spare stolen from under my Tacoma. I believe Toyota changed the mechanism that attaches the spare to the vehicle for model year 2012, but prior to that, thieves can just cut the cable and get away with a full-size spare. I'd recommend getting some kind of cable lock if, like me, you've got a earlier version Tacoma.
smrcka
14er Checklist (57)
13er Checklist (70)

Postby smrcka » Mon May 06, 2013 12:59 pm

My coworker had her spare stolen off the back of her Honda CRV in the company parking lot during work hours. She had a locking lug nut, but they just used bolt cutters and cut it off.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
TallGrass
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 pm

While on the subject of higher-clearance vehicles, also know that cat' theft (catalytic converter) is a problem. Takes as little as 30-sec in full daylight with an electric saws-all for one guy to pop his hood as a distraction next to the vehicle, check his oil, close it up, and his partner hops back in with the cat. They get fifty to a couple hundred at the scrapyard, but often run over $2,000 to replace the cat, O2 plugs, wire leads, heat shields, muffler/collector (they often cut their lead in pipes that are thinner and more accessible than the cat's), header lead in, misc. bolts/mounts, and so on. Most places prohibit junkyards from selling used cats so you have to buy new (OEM or aftermarket). There are also some makes and models that they specifically target because they are higher clearance (easy to scoot under) and either cat with more precious metals or more cats, sometimes up to four for two-stage dual-exhaust trucks. Oh, and if you run sans cat, you can brick the motor as the feedback loop for fuel settings and more (cat and O2s) is knocked out.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
wildlobo71
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (40)

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:56 pm

I have been begging someone for years to swipe my spare tire, but no... only exercise and eating right, blah blah blah...

Sorry, resume....
You've never really stopped even if you feel like you have.
zdero1
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (29)

Postby zdero1 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Ba-dum-ch. :lol:
climbingaggie03
14er Checklist (5)

Postby climbingaggie03 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:38 pm

I hiked back to the parking lot after climbing in red rock canyon open space last fall and someone had tried to steal his catalytic converter. Fortunately he came from so-cal and this has been a problem there for years so he had a chain welded from his catalytic converter to his frame. The would be thieves had cut his exhaust pipe on both sides of the converter but the chain kept them from removing it. They tried to cut the chain, but as this would have taken a while I'm not sure if they got bored, tired, or worried about getting caught.

He was still kind of screwed because he had to get it fixed but at least he didn't have to get a new catalytic converter...
Jay521
14er Checklist (41)
14ers in Winter (9)
13er Checklist (118)

Postby Jay521 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 am

I like that idea of welding a chain to the catalytic converter & frame. I have been worried about losing it to the platinum, palladium and rhodium thieves as I've read about it happening here in Denver. Guess I'll have to have a chat with my mechanic...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Dan_Suitor
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby Dan_Suitor » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 am

I find the gun rack is deterrent enough :guns:
58 B4 50

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”