DIY backcountry bombing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Hacksaw
Posts: 714
Joined: 5/13/2007
14er Checklist Not Entered
Contact:

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby Hacksaw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:01 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???


If this really concerns you, which it should, there is an easy solution. Go farther into the backcountry. I would venture that 95%+ of winter backcountry users are within 5 miles of a road.


You should see what happens in the Wasatch mountains...
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
User avatar
mtnfiend
Posts: 277
Joined: 2/13/2010
14er Checklist (31)
14ers Skied (9)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (129)
Contact:

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby mtnfiend » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Ahh shoot...this thread seems to be headed there anyways, so why beat around the bush.

Last year's Taylor Mountain avy, anyone?
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/
http://www.berthoudpass.org
@snow_nerd
User avatar
RoanMtnMan
Posts: 790
Joined: 3/23/2008
14er Checklist (45)

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:16 pm

mtnfiend wrote:Ahh shoot...this thread seems to be headed there anyways, so why beat around the bush.

Last year's Taylor Mountain avy, anyone?


It is a good example of the most unpredictable danger in the backcountry. Risk reduction now seems to include staying away from popular loose routes in the summer and popular ski routes in the winter.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com
User avatar
skiwall
Posts: 917
Joined: 10/6/2008
14er Checklist (2)
13er Checklist (3)

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby skiwall » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 am

Hacksaw wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???


If this really concerns you, which it should, there is an easy solution. Go farther into the backcountry. I would venture that 95%+ of winter backcountry users are within 5 miles of a road.


You should see what happens in the Wasatch mountains...


Seriously... you would not BELIEVE some of the crap we've been seeing this year...
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
User avatar
ajkagy
Posts: 2664
Joined: 1/7/2007
14er Checklist Not Entered
Contact:

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby ajkagy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 am

Hacksaw wrote:
ajkagy wrote:cutting a rather large cornice will yield much better results than explosions and you don't have to worry about it being legal either :)


But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???


maybe you shouldn't travel beneath large avalanche run-out paths then :)
User avatar
lordhelmut
Posts: 2321
Joined: 2/24/2006
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (21)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (250)
Contact:

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 am

Cutting cornices and avoiding avy terrain aside, to the OP, the concern still stands. Do you in fact plan on moving foward with this plan, and if so, do you plan on alerting people of your time and location? There are a lot of things you can prepare for in life, but worrying about getting blown up in the backcountry should not be one of them.
User avatar
jblyth
Posts: 255
Joined: 10/10/2011
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (13)
13er Checklist (128)
Contact:

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby jblyth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am

lordhelmut wrote:Cutting cornices and avoiding avy terrain aside, to the OP, the concern still stands. Do you in fact plan on moving foward with this plan, and if so, do you plan on alerting people of your time and location? There are a lot of things you can prepare for in life, but worrying about getting blown up in the backcountry should not be one of them.


I agree with Mr. Helmut. I hate when people throw explosives on me while I'm hiking, it always ruins my day.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Conor, ErikS, grahampa, SolarAlex and 17 guests