liter size

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
climbingaggie03
14er Checklist (5)

Re: liter size

Postby climbingaggie03 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:09 pm

it all depends on what season, what activities, and how long. I use a big 5,000 ci pack for week long trips and longer, as well as if I'm going to backpack into a spot for several days of rock climbing and camping. If I'm going to be out for just a night or two in summer, I'll take my 30 liter pack. If I'm just going for a long day I'll take my 18 liter pack. Different tools for different jobs, I usually try and use the smallest and lightest pack I can while still carrying everything I need. If you're looking for just one pack to do it all, I really like my Cilogear pack. The 60 liter pack expands to 90 liters and still compresses to less than 30, and at a little over 3 lbs it won't break your back.
Vincopotamus
14er Checklist (32)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (2)

Postby Vincopotamus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:02 am

mickster wrote:what reason would you backpack a 60 liter pack. what reason would you backpack a 40 liter backpack. (60 liter for 3 days or more?) (40 liters for 4-5-6 days or more?)

Am I the only one here who didn't understand what the hell he's asking? Me no speak caveman ](*,)
The only time I lower the bar is après
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:it all depends on what season, what activities, and how long. I use a big 5,000 ci pack for week long trips and longer, as well as if I'm going to backpack into a spot for several days of rock climbing and camping. If I'm going to be out for just a night or two in summer, I'll take my 30 liter pack. If I'm just going for a long day I'll take my 18 liter pack. Different tools for different jobs, I usually try and use the smallest and lightest pack I can while still carrying everything I need. If you're looking for just one pack to do it all, I really like my Cilogear pack. The 60 liter pack expands to 90 liters and still compresses to less than 30, and at a little over 3 lbs it won't break your back.

Agree on absolutely everything here, especially the Cilogear recommendation. Last big pack I will likely ever own. Graham at Cilo set out to build the best packs on the market and in my opinion he won. It's also a small, USA hand crafted operation with only 3 or 4 employees. I have been to their place in Portland and have verified that.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com
ChrisRoberts
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby ChrisRoberts » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 am

Vincopotamus wrote:
mickster wrote:what reason would you backpack a 60 liter pack. what reason would you backpack a 40 liter backpack. (60 liter for 3 days or more?) (40 liters for 4-5-6 days or more?)

Am I the only one here who didn't understand what the hell he's asking? Me no speak caveman ](*,)

Yes, thats probably why no one answered until 2 days later...
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
San Juan Ron
14er Checklist (39)

Postby San Juan Ron » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Google can be your friend. :)

I use to use a 75 liter pack for extended hikes (5-7 days), but as my packing became a bit more efficient I was able to downsize to a 60L. A 40l would work for maybe 2 days depending how efficient you are at packing and how much you need the "comforts" of home while hiking.

SJ Ron

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”