Your "go-to" workout

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
DaveSwink
14er Checklist (37)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (4)

Re: Your "go-to" workout

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Shawnee Bob wrote:Once you do trail runs, you'll be hooked. Aside from the excellent training benefits ( I liken them to running, stadiums and agility drills all in one), they're just a lot more interesting and fun than regular runs on pavement.

+1
forbins_mtn
14er Checklist (23)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 pm

i have a feeling i'm gonna be hooked. i wish i was closer to trails. it's just so easy to go out my back door to Cherry Creek and be able to run before work. i'm moving to Congress Park in a week, so it's look like i'll be doing Cheeseman and Wash Park. Kind of excited for that
MUni Rider
14er Checklist (49)

Postby MUni Rider » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Whatever we are doing at the crossfit gym that day. The workout is already planned out so I just have to show up, warm up, and do it.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
Stevo
14er Checklist (37)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby Stevo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Once you do trail runs, you'll be hooked. Aside from the excellent training benefits ( I liken them to running, stadiums and agility drills all in one), they're just a lot more interesting and fun than regular runs on pavement

+2

I used to run on the street but now I find it it takes an occasion (I.e some sort of race, relay etc.). When I do run roads, I can't seem to remember which shoes to lace up and where I last put them. Don't get me wrong, running is running and so much fun, but there is something about running trails that elevates it to the next level.

You'll enjoy the trails and there a quite a few that are a straight shot down 6th Avenue that can be convenient
coloradokevin
14er Checklist (15)

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 am

rijaca wrote:From my house to the top of Green Mountain is ~4 miles and 1000' vertical.

I wonder how many times you and I have passed each other out there?

I typically use Green Mountain, N. Table Mountain, Chimney Gulch, or Mt. Galbraith when I need a quick training hike (all are within a 15 minute drive for me).
COBuckeye
14er Checklist (32)
14ers Skied (7)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (8)

Postby COBuckeye » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:59 am

Crossfit...
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)
SolarAlex
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (11)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (75)

Postby SolarAlex » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:12 am

north table mountain for me...if i ride my bike from my house, its exactly 10 miles and roughly 1000' on the north table loop trail. sometimes i take my lazy dog and just hike up the west jeep road around the top and then down the north jeep road. thats about 3 miles.

i also have been going to movement a lot, i feel like climbing is decent exercise and its fun.
Vincit Qui Patitur
ajkagy
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby ajkagy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 am

bike in the summer, tour in the winter...it's all about having endurance and leg power + altitude advantage of living over 9k ft.
lordhelmut
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (21)
14ers in Winter (5)
13er Checklist (250)

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:58 am

Rowing machine (2000 and 5000m, depending on my mood), bike to work 3-4 times a week (35 minutes), rock climb (sport, 3 days a week), Tennis (one of these days I'll actually join a league) and then shoot for 10-12 peaks a month.

altitude advantage of living over 9k ft.

This is very true. I lived in Summit County at 9500 ft for a year and now that I live in Denver, there is a very noticeable difference in how altitude affects me. Also, living in mountains, in the summer, its easy to bang out 3-4k of vert on a short approach peak after work, obviously can't do this living in Denver (or as easily + the gas). Not to mention early morning laps. Mountain living is nice...
thebeave7
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (52)

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 am

Tempo 'run' up Green Mt in Boulder, put a good hurt on, and there is usually the great reward of an Indian Peaks view at the top.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
mtree
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby mtree » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 am

Trail running with hills at around 8000ft. TKD for flexibility. Squats whenever. Climb stairs at work (12 stories) once, twice, or more depending on time constraints. Push ups, pull ups, situps or whatever you'd call that stuff. Rarely any free weights. 12 oz curls if I'm feeling the need.

Winter - The trail running becomes very infrequent depending on conditions. Snowshoeing, snowboarding, running when possible. It can be a challenge. Without hiking about 12,000ft, the altitude conditioning typically deteriorates.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”