Nano Puff Vest

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
bogman2121
14er Checklist Not Entered

Nano Puff Vest

Postby bogman2121 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Does anyone have one of these? I'm considering the pullover or the vest mostly for climbing/hiking and some winter running.

My arms don't really get too cold and this seems like it could dump enough heat to keep me warm and not sweaty but I'd like some other opinions.

Thanks
prestone818

Re: Nano Puff Vest

Postby prestone818 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:09 pm

I'd say pullover, depending on what you wear under the vest.
joshbrink
14er Checklist (16)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby joshbrink » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I have the REI primaloft vest and I really like it. Packs down small too.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
― John Muir
steelfrog

Postby steelfrog » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:50 pm

I run hot; so even in the 20s I just wear a couple of Bill's long sleeve capilene, or whatever they are. BUT, I always carry a Nano Puff because it packs so small and if I need it (or someone else does) it is VERY warm.
davebks
14er Checklist (10)

Postby davebks » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:25 pm

I have a patagonia vest and i wear it more than anything else I own.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-nano-puff-vest?p=84240-0-744

I used to make fun of vests (and trekking poles I suppose) and now I won't go without either.
I use a merino t, a thin merino long sleeve, and my vest and I can withstand anything.
I do have an R1, and a micropuff coat on standby though in my pack.
no real down though, they are all synth. (sleeping bag and mat are down though)

I do own the pull over too but I dont use it as much. mostly for skiing only as an under layer to my shell.
I have become sort of a patagonia fiend but their stuff has been awesome.

When I was in Nepal I had my vest on with those layers above and while people were wearing full down coats I just had my vest, the long sleeve merino, hat and gloves on.
HIGHLY recommend the nano.
Dave B

Postby Dave B » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:10 pm

davebks wrote:I used to make fun of vests (and trekking poles I suppose) and now I won't go without either.

HA! Me too, although I favor a fleece vest's breathability I'm often ashamed of what me from 5 years ago would say he saw me now.

Oh, well, that guy was an a$$hole anyways...

To the OP, I have a Nano vest. I only wear it around town as I find ripstop nylon to breathe about as well as a zip-loc bag, great around town piece though.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir
lackerstef
14er Checklist (49)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby lackerstef » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Arcteryx Atom Lt Hoody. Awesome breathability with superb warmth. Packs tiny too http://m.arcteryx.com/EN/Product/Atom-LT-Hoody/#gender=MALE
GravityPilot
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (11)

Postby GravityPilot » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm

I agree with lacker on the jacket. Vest have alway seemed like a good idea, but they lack something really important...sleeves. If I'm putting on a layer like that it's to make sure I stay warm, whether or not my arms are cold they are further away from my core and they WILL be the first thing to get cold. Keeping in heat is a whole body effort. I'd go with a Nano Puff Jacket, Atom LT, or anything close to it. The hood is optional. In the longrun it turns out to be a much more useful layer. That being said I run warm and can pack light.
Dancesatmoonrise
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (43)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:11 pm

lackerstef wrote:Arcteryx Atom Lt Hoody. Awesome breathability with superb warmth. Packs tiny too http://m.arcteryx.com/EN/Product/Atom-LT-Hoody/#gender=MALE

GravityPilot wrote:I agree with lacker on the jacket. Vest have alway seemed like a good idea, but they lack something really important...sleeves. If I'm putting on a layer like that it's to make sure I stay warm, whether or not my arms are cold they are further away from my core and they WILL be the first thing to get cold. Keeping in heat is a whole body effort. I'd go with a Nano Puff Jacket, Atom LT, or anything close to it. The hood is optional. In the longrun it turns out to be a much more useful layer. That being said I run warm and can pack light.

I own the Nanopuff pullover, Atom LT hoody, and Atom LT vest.

Both Arcteryx pieces are great, and both have their place. The hoody covers a wide range of conditions. When it's cold,you put up the hood and zip up. When working hard, you pull off the hood, unzip the front, and pull up the sleeves. Two or three years ago I got away with this one top layer from car to summit and back on multiple winter 14er daytrips. It has reasonable wind resistance and breathes very well.

The vest is great for bike rides on cool days, or as a mid-layer on winter peaks, and packs pretty small. Either item can be used as an outer layer or mid-layer. Both have lighter more breathable material in the sides, so pit-zips are not needed.

I have had a problem with the hoody where the Core-loft insulation came loose from the back of the neck area and rolled up in the upper back area, inside the garment. REI replaced it, no questions asked. I also had a problem with one of the vests - either cut wrong or size was mis-marked. Again, REI took care of it.

Also have the Nanopuff pullover. It also has its place both as an outer layer in milder conditions and mid-layer in colder temps. However, it does not breathe nearly as well as the above items, but is perhaps a little more wind resistant.
bogman2121

Postby bogman2121 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an R1 and R2(not 100% sure yet) so maybe the Nano Puff vest/jacket is redundant anyway. My other jackets work pretty well right now as long as it's not super cold. I've got an Arcteryx Gamma MX Hoody and one of the newer MH pieces, I think it's the Kepler.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Kepler%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM4151,default,pd.html
http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Gamma-MX-Hoody#

So I'm really looking for more of an insulating layer and something I can maybe wear for slightly warmer conditions. I thought the Nano Puff would be good but based off of some extra reading I did and some of your comments, I may be well covered for most situations with the R1 and R2.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”