Kahtoola Aluminum Crampons

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
climbingaggie03
14er Checklist (5)

Re: Kahtoola Aluminum Crampons

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Pbakwin sounds like we have similar styles, I typically wear Salomon gtx trail runners but I find very few situations that I really need boots. Front pointing is definitely out since the front points point down, but seems like these would get me through some of the things I have in mind. I do prefer the steel, but I found the aluminum for less than $50 so I think I may try them.
mtnjim
14er Checklist (57)
13er Checklist (216)

Re: Kahtoola Aluminum Crampons

Postby mtnjim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:16 am

For that price the aluminums are worth it. Otherwise, get the steel version. I've gone through 2 1/2 pairs of the aluminum ones and have switched to the steel. Even the steel ones are showing quite a bit of wear.

I have been using these with Columbia Talus Ridge Outdry trail runners I picked up at Sierra Trading Post for less than $60. VOLUMINOUS toe on these so good for winter. They allow me to use a smartwool mountaineering sock in my normal size. I used this combo on Orizaba last April then on Elbrus in May. Worked fine though I hauled along a pair of neoprene bike shoe booties just in case this wasn't enough.

A quick search shows the steel ones for $112 on 6pm.com.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”