Hooded down jacket recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
SummitKathy
14er Checklist (49)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (2)

Re: Hooded down jacket recommendations

Postby SummitKathy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:52 pm

dnye wrote:I would just watch steepandcheap.com, they are always selling down jackets. I just bought one for 70% off. Very happy with it.

I was just going to say the same thing. I have often seen the Patagonia down jackets on this site. Be a little patient, and I'm sure you can get one for a good price. I have one, and I love it.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
ironman11
14er Checklist (1)

Postby ironman11 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:03 pm

I believe there might be some on www.theclymb.com right now. If not, watch it closely. All you have to do is sign up with your email address. I just found out about it and it is a pretty sweet site.
Dave B
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby Dave B » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:23 am

ironman11 wrote:I believe there might be some on www.theclymb.com right now. If not, watch it closely. All you have to do is sign up with your email address. I just found out about it and it is a pretty sweet site.

Except they only offer credit if you're not happy with the product. I've been on the Clymb for over a year and have only found one thing worth ordering. Make sure you want it or it's equivalent in store credit before hitting the "submit order" button.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir
CO Native
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (2)
14ers in Winter (15)
13er Checklist (28)

Postby CO Native » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 am

GoLite is having a sale on their website. You can get a great down for a great price right now.

Bitterroot Jacket
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Rich H
14er Checklist (45)
14ers in Winter (7)
13er Checklist (163)

Postby Rich H » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:33 am

big fan of Montbell as well...plus it compacts into nothing.
ezabielski
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby ezabielski » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:34 am

I have the Montbell UL Down Parka and I love it. I would HIGHLY recommend almost any Montbell product.
Also, Golite is having a sale, but their hooded down jacket, Bitterroot 850, seems like it is made for more severe conditions. It is also $30 more on sale, and 4-5oz heavier.
ezabielski
14er Checklist (39)
13er Checklist (7)

Postby ezabielski » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 am

Dave B wrote:
ironman11 wrote:I believe there might be some on www.theclymb.com right now. If not, watch it closely. All you have to do is sign up with your email address. I just found out about it and it is a pretty sweet site.

Except they only offer credit if you're not happy with the product. I've been on the Clymb for over a year and have only found one thing worth ordering. Make sure you want it or it's equivalent in store credit before hitting the "submit order" button.

Yes. I have been on TheClymb for at least a year now but only ordered some socks, FRS chews, and a t-shirt. Most of the time they just don't have stuff that I want.
WillV
14er Checklist (51)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (1)

Postby WillV » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Agree with other posters who have expressed favor with the Arcteryx Atom. I use the LT in the summer.
SV in the winter over a base-layer and Delta AR fleece. All fits perfectly under a Theta AR shell. I personally prefer synthetic during periods of activity, as this material is still able to insulate and breathe well with my level of perspiration.

I do however bring a down jacket and carry the Marmot Ama Dablam for use over all this if needed in the winter. Don't use it very often though. The first set of layers mentioned above is plenty of warmth. It's usually more of a back-up jacket or for when it's really, really cold out.

Can't go wrong with the Ama Dablam. Great fit. Something worth checking out at least. Best of luck in your search!
nyker
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby nyker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Probably a bit on the pricy side, but Western Mountaineering makes great, super lightweight down jackets with a hood.

RAB does also, though it has left side zippers if that annoys you.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”