General Question about SAR contact

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Re: General Question about SAR contact

Postby Vids » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:07 am

dswink wrote:I guess saracasm can be assumed because cheesie is an experienced climber and a long-time sensible poster. It seems more likely that he missed using pink font than posted wacky advice.

Edit: It was prolly a bad idea to make a too subtle joke about safety though.

No worries, from the way it was written it looked serious to me so I thought he was half crazy with that advice. I don't know him from Adam though.

Pink text or an emoticon would have been helpful I guess. For my own knowledge, is that what the pink text means? Sarcasm? I've seen it and seen people chastised for using it incorrectly but never understood it.
DaveSwink
14er Checklist (37)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am

Vids wrote:Sarcasm? I've seen it and seen people chastised for using it incorrectly but never understood it.

No, it does not indicate sarcasm. :-D
jdorje
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby jdorje » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:13 am

The pink text really detracts from the humor of sarcasm though. Sarcasm has to be subtle to be funny. If a couple people don't fail to get it, you haven't done your job.
-Jason Dorje Short
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Postby Vids » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:16 am

dswink wrote:
Vids wrote:Sarcasm? I've seen it and seen people chastised for using it incorrectly but never understood it.

No, it does not indicate sarcasm. :-D

Well played, sir. :-D
Rock-a-Fella
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 am

Vids wrote:So here is my game plan, I think I've got it all covered but if someone sees a gap let me know.

It is actually a hunting trip, and I will be camping at my truck and hiking up various mountains each day so there's not a defined route but more of a general area. I am leaving her a map of what mountains I will hunt, campsite is marked on the map with gps coordinates, contact info for emergencies (911, County Sheriff, and a friend that lives near there in case something happens at home), my truck make, model and license plate. I will be using the SPOT and worked out a signal with her to let her know I'm okay and whether I'm at camp or not. She would only call SAR if she hasn't heard anything for a couple of days.

I am not sure which SPOT unit you have. If it is a GEN 1 Spot, Go buy a SPOT MESSENGER or an InReach before you go! It is not appropriate to send out SAR resources when there is NO emergency because a spouse is worried and you are NOT OVERDUE. They probably would not go out under that type of call anyway.

It sounds like both you and you wife are concerned with communications. SPOT MESSENGER would allow for her to "Track" your movement and progress in addition to the "I'm OK" there are other messages that can be stored and sent. InReach affords TWO WAY Sat texting in addition to tracking, SOS, I'm OK, and many pre typed messages. [url]http://www.inreachdelorme.com//url]

I may be misinterpreting your post but it sounds like your family would be well served with an "InReach"

Just sayin'

Hope you enjoy your trip
tenpins

Postby tenpins » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:48 am

by definition, if the pre-planned, agreed upon time passes, one is overdue. Back in the day, if someone had told me "my husband was supposed to call by midnight, and he didnt. The plan was to call SO",I would have jumped. Thats not wasting time. It's actually 100000000% more responsible than 98% of lost/overdue hiker/camper/hunter calls I ever went on.
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Postby Vids » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Rock-a-Fella wrote:I am not sure which SPOT unit you have. If it is a GEN 1 Spot, Go buy a SPOT MESSENGER or an InReach before you go! It is not appropriate to send out SAR resources when there is NO emergency because a spouse is worried and you are NOT OVERDUE. They probably would not go out under that type of call anyway.

It sounds like both you and you wife are concerned with communications. SPOT MESSENGER would allow for her to "Track" your movement and progress in addition to the "I'm OK" there are other messages that can be stored and sent. InReach affords TWO WAY Sat texting in addition to tracking, SOS, I'm OK, and many pre typed messages. [url]http://www.inreachdelorme.com//url]

I may be misinterpreting your post but it sounds like your family would be well served with an "InReach"

Just sayin'

Hope you enjoy your trip

Not sure what you mean, no one said anything about sending out SAR resources if I wasn't overdue. I just want to find a happy medium between being able to let her know each day that I'm okay vs. her jumping the gun and calling the SO just because the SPOT didn't send 1 message. Knowing the inconsistencies others have noted about the SPOT, I don't want to set a hard time everyday for her to ring the alarm bell. My wife isn't one to overreact, so I figure the 24 hour rule will suffice. That way the SPOT would have to fail on 2-3 consecutive messages before she takes action.

Besides, my campsite will be right next to a road and I am driving to it. Even if she did call in I assume the SO would have someone drive to my camp and check things out before calling out an entire search team. If somehow the SPOT fails miserably, she calls the SO, and they drive up to look for me and find me okay I wouldn't feel guilty about that. I would be pissed off about the SPOT not working in that case....

It's not a gen 1, it actually belongs to a friend and I know he bought it just this summer so it should be the new one. And it's not so much about being able to communicate everyday, just trying to have someone aware of whether I'm okay or not while using a device that isn't 100% reliable.

Debating all this is probably overkill anyways, I know I have cell signal in some spots up there so I will likely shoot her a text or two to verify she is getting the SPOT messages. And the likelihood of her not hearing a status update from me for over 24 hours be it from text, email or SPOT is highly unlikely so if that does happen I'm likely not okay.
tenpins

Postby tenpins » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:31 pm

[quote="Vids"
Besides, my campsite will be right next to a road and I am driving to it. Even if she did call in I assume the SO would have someone drive to my camp and check things out before calling out an entire search team. [/quote]

any sar team worth it's salt will do exactly that.
one of the benefits of leaving an itinerary. they know where to look first before they burn man hours.
Rock-a-Fella
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Vids wrote:
Rock-a-Fella wrote:I am not sure which SPOT unit you have. If it is a GEN 1 Spot, Go buy a SPOT MESSENGER or an InReach before you go! It is not appropriate to send out SAR resources when there is NO emergency because a spouse is worried and you are NOT OVERDUE. They probably would not go out under that type of call anyway.

Just sayin'

Hope you enjoy your trip

Not sure what you mean, no one said anything about sending out SAR resources if I wasn't overdue. I just want to find a happy medium between being able to let her know each day that I'm okay vs. her jumping the gun and calling the SO just because the SPOT didn't send 1 message. Knowing the inconsistencies others have noted about the SPOT, I don't want to set a hard time everyday for her to ring the alarm bell. My wife isn't one to overreact, so I figure the 24 hour rule will suffice. That way the SPOT would have to fail on 2-3 consecutive messages before she takes action.

Besides, my campsite will be right next to a road and I am driving to it. Even if she did call in I assume the SO would have someone drive to my camp and check things out before calling out an entire search team. If somehow the SPOT fails miserably, she calls the SO, and they drive up to look for me and find me okay I wouldn't feel guilty about that. I would be pissed off about the SPOT not working in that case....

It's not a gen 1, it actually belongs to a friend and I know he bought it just this summer so it should be the new one. And it's not so much about being able to communicate everyday, just trying to have someone aware of whether I'm okay or not while using a device that isn't 100% reliable.

Debating all this is probably overkill anyways, I know I have cell signal in some spots up there so I will likely shoot her a text or two to verify she is getting the SPOT messages. And the likelihood of her not hearing a status update from me for over 24 hours be it from text, email or SPOT is highly unlikely so if that does happen I'm likely not okay.

I think one of us is misunderstanding the other. To address "TenPins" the challenge under the 3rd party call in situation is not to get the SAR team to go but to convince both the Sheriff's Deputy and the SAR leader that some guy just didn't forget to or elect not to call/message his wife. The caller would have to convince that the situation is more than the usual "sorry honey I forgot to call"

Most 3rd party (someone other than the climber/hiker/hunter) "Didn't check-in calls along with "overdue" hiker calls resolve themselves as non emergent. As a result most Sheriff''s Deputies are going to allow the case to "develop" unless the location is on their regular patrol. I am just stating the facts in an effort to let you and your wife know what to expect and not to expect from most SO's

If your spot device has a "Boot Print" button on it then it can be set to track your movement and for your wife or anyone else to follow the same online. You must go online to set the recipient(s) of the tracking message as well as the I'm OK message. I have used a spot messenger ~150 days a year without transmission failure. (must be careful under canopies but unit will show you a red light if delivery fails) Due to the periodic need for 2 way messaging and a larger library of pre typed messages I recently added an InReach to my gear box.

Hope it helped & Good luck on your trip

Just tryin to help
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Postby Vids » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Rock-a-Fella wrote:I think one of us is misunderstanding the other. To address "TenPins" the challenge under the 3rd party call in situation is not to get the SAR team to go but to convince both the Sheriff's Deputy and the SAR leader that some guy just didn't forget to or elect not to call/message his wife. The caller would have to convince that the situation is more than the usual "sorry honey I forgot to call"

Most 3rd party (someone other than the climber/hiker/hunter) "Didn't check-in calls along with "overdue" hiker calls resolve themselves as non emergent. As a result most Sheriff''s Deputies are going to allow the case to "develop" unless the location is on their regular patrol. I am just stating the facts in an effort to let you and your wife know what to expect and not to expect from most SO's

If your spot device has a "Boot Print" button on it then it can be set to track your movement and for your wife or anyone else to follow the same online. You must go online to set the recipient(s) of the tracking message as well as the I'm OK message. I have used a spot messenger ~150 days a year without transmission failure. (must be careful under canopies but unit will show you a red light if delivery fails) Due to the periodic need for 2 way messaging and a larger library of pre typed messages I recently added an InReach to my gear box.

Just tryin to help

I understand what you're saying, but now my question is "When do they decide to send out someone to check on you?" I would assume that a lot of SAR operations are initiated by a 3rd party. I can see the SO not getting too excited if she calls and says I was supposed to check in two hours ago, but if she tells them I am supposed to check in twice a day and it's been 1-2 days without contact wouldn't they take that more seriously?

As long as the SPOT will definitely give me a red light so I know it didn't go through I'm not concerned in the least. I'll just send it again from a better area. I just don't want it to tell me the messages are going through (green light) if they aren't. Sounds like you are pretty confident with your SPOT. I'd be curious to know how many people have never had a problem vs. the posts you read with complaints about them. Trouble is you never hear anything about all the good SPOT units. :)
Rock-a-Fella
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Vids wrote:
Rock-a-Fella wrote:I think one of us is misunderstanding the other. To address "TenPins" the challenge under the 3rd party call in situation is not to get the SAR team to go but to convince both the Sheriff's Deputy and the SAR leader that some guy just didn't forget to or elect not to call/message his wife. The caller would have to convince that the situation is more than the usual "sorry honey I forgot to call"

Just tryin to help

I understand what you're saying, but now my question is "When do they decide to send out someone to check on you?" I would assume that a lot of SAR operations are initiated by a 3rd party. I can see the SO not getting too excited if she calls and says I was supposed to check in two hours ago, but if she tells them I am supposed to check in twice a day and it's been 1-2 days without contact wouldn't they take that more seriously?

As long as the SPOT will definitely give me a red light so I know it didn't go through I'm not concerned in the least. I'll just send it again from a better area. I just don't want it to tell me the messages are going through (green light) if they aren't. Sounds like you are pretty confident with your SPOT. I'd be curious to know how many people have never had a problem vs. the posts you read with complaints about them. Trouble is you never hear anything about all the good SPOT units. :)

SAR protocols vary from county to county. Few are paid members of the SO. Most are volunteers who WILL come after you if a mission is decared.

Now to your scenario (as best I can) 3rd parties were not out there with you and are reacting to an "absence of information". A Deputy is going to interview the caller about a history of YOUR activity, plans, have the person ever NOT called in before, etc. If it's a drive by site after a 1-2 day overdue situation would likely check out the location and ALERT the SAR team to the possibility of a SAR incident for planning and mobilization. Maybe even have SAR do a drive by with a couple members

Gen 2 (SPOT MESSENGER) has a life of 7 days while tracking with 100% clear view to the sky. 3.5 days with 50% view of the sky (canopy) according to their spec sheet[url]http://findmespot.com/downloads/SPOT2-SellSheet.pdf/url] If you launch the tracking feature (hold bootprint button til it flashes green) she can track your location on her schedule rather than waiting for you to push the "OK" button. You can program the other buttons with messages like "Running late but OK" for example.

Enjoy the trip
U can PM me if you have more Q's

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”