General Question about SAR contact

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

General Question about SAR contact

Postby Vids » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:23 pm

I searched the threads and didn't see anything on this....I figure someone here will know the answer.

I will be solo camping for a week in the general area near Grays/Torreys. I want to leave contact info for SAR with my wife just in case something happens. (I have a SPOT and will be sending "okay" messages home, this is just a last resort if she doesn't hear from me for a couple days)

The Clear Creek Co Sheriff's office website says they coordinate alpine rescue. Their website also says to just call 911 instead of their 303 number in an emergency which makes sense. However, we live in Parker so a 911 call from here goes to Parker PD I assume. What would be the best contact info to leave her for my situation? Could a 911 call from here be patched through to Clear Creek?
iceman
14er Checklist (9)

Re: General Question about SAR contact

Postby iceman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:55 pm

If she calls 911, they will get her through to the appropriate agency, if she knows the area you will be in. Leave your wife as much information about your itinerary and intended routes as possible.
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Postby Vids » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Cool, thanks. I am definitely leaving her a map of where I'll be.
TomPierce
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby TomPierce » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:26 pm

911? Hmm...It makes perfect sense in the county within which both the caller and victim are located. But if my wife calls 911 in Denver, when I'm in Saguache County? Well I suppose they will eventually (?) patch it through to the Saguache County 911, who will then call the Saguache County Sherriff, who will then dispatch Saguache County SAR. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just call the Saguache County Sherriff directly? 911 just seems to add an unnecessary layer. I must be missing something, or maybe the patching through connection is really fast and seamless.

Looking at it another way, my recollection is that the SPOT dispatch center is/was in Florida. I really doubt they're calling Miami 911. So if we assume they are calling local resources, why wouldn't the same apply to a lay person? Not looking to debate the issue, just trying to work out what makes sense.

To the OP: If you are planning on climbing peaks, Lists of John will have an entry for almost every peak, complete with the county in which the peak is located, geo coordinates, etc. Giving your wife the peak name, coordinates, county name, and a map with highlighted route should be enough. FWIW, my wife also has the make/model/color/plate number of my car on the side of the fridge so it can be used to locate my car at the trailhead.

-Tom
Last edited by TomPierce on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdorje
14er Checklist (11)
13er Checklist (22)

Postby jdorje » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Off topic, I don't think there is a Saguache County 911. There's a single dispatch in Alamosa for the whole SLV.

Having the number for the sheriff's office in whatever-county could be helpful.
-Jason Dorje Short
TomPierce

Postby TomPierce » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:38 pm

jdorje: Wow...good to know. I was there over the weekend. FWIW, phone numbers for all Colorado County Sherriffs are listed in the back of the Dawson 14er guides.
-Tom
Vids
14er Checklist (5)

Postby Vids » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Are the regular sheriff's office numbers answered 24/7? I assumed that was a number for business hours on the CC Co website.
Rock-a-Fella
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 pm

I would leave your trip plan with your wife. You can leave the same trip plans on paper in your car or truck on the driver's seat. It is helpful if the list includes your level of experience in the activity you are involved in, how many days you plan to be out, how many days you have food for, what gear you have with you.

On your Spot I would punch the "I'm OK" or the tracking button (if you subscribe to that feature) before you start any "risky moves". In the event something happens and you can't push the SOS button in an emergency, your wife will have your location albeit general. If you punch the SOS button the GPS coordinates go to the monitoring desk who will notify the proper authority. Mountain Rescue teams generally do not deploy without a directive from the office of the sheriff. So as previously mentioned 911 is the "In Service" number for your wife to call.
Rock-a-Fella
13er Checklist (16)

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 pm

TomPierce wrote:911? Hmm...It makes perfect sense in the county within which both the caller and victim are located. But if my wife calls 911 in Denver, when I'm in Saguache County? Well I suppose they will eventually (?) patch it through to the Saguache County 911, who will then call the Saguache County Sherriff, who will then dispatch Saguache County SAR. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just call the Saguache County Sherriff directly? 911 just seems to add an unnecessary layer. I must be missing something, or maybe the patching through connection is really fast and seamless.

Looking at it another way, my recollection is that the SPOT dispatch center is/was in Florida. I really doubt they're calling Miami 911. So if we assume they are calling local resources, why wouldn't the same apply to a lay person? Not looking to debate the issue, just trying to work out what makes sense.

To the OP: If you are planning on climbing peaks, Lists of John will have an entry for almost every peak, complete with the county in which the peak is located, geo coordinates, etc. Giving your wife the peak name, coordinates, county name, and a map with highlighted route should be enough. FWIW, my wife also has the make/model/color/plate number of my car on the side of the fridge so it can be used to locate my car at the trailhead.

-Tom

Happens all the time. They will transfer the call to the appropriate county, but 911 is the way to go. The caller should be prepared with the coordinates and or the "WHY" the feel something is wrong and WHY they think the person is in a certain location. Hope that helps
cheeseburglar
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (73)

Postby cheeseburglar » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:18 pm

My advice is to not tell your wife when you are coming back. If you have to tell her something, give her a time at least 24 hours after you plan to be back. I have never managed to get home at the time I estimated.
Don't worry about SAR. If you have to call them, you probably won't be able to. My advice would be to tell your wife not to call SAR under any circumstances. Of course, I don't own a spot and don't intend to buy one.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Each of the 14ers.com route pages has the phone number for the appropriate county sheriff. Just tell your wife what routes you'll be on (SAR will want to know this anyway), and she can look it up here if necessary.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”