Cleaning my Osprey Talon

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
rking007

Cleaning my Osprey Talon

Postby rking007 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 am

So, I've been dual purposing my Talon 22 day pack to carry my dinner to and from work and I just spilled salad dressing in the bottom... :x

I went to the Osprey website to look at care instructions but I wanted to throw it out to the community to see if they have opinions or suggestions for cleaning a pack? I'd like to just toss it in the washing machine on cold and gentle with a bit of detergent but I'm not 100% sure what's in the guts of the pack or if it can get wrecked... should I take out the plastic back support? Should I just wash it in the tub? Thoughts?
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
TeamDino5280

Re: Cleaning my Osprey Talon

Postby TeamDino5280 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 am

I would not recommend washing it in the washing machine if you have a top loading machine. I washed my BD Predator pack in my top load and ended up with a 3 inch gash in the pack and some shredded straps. If you have a front load washing machine you can wash the pack in there because there are no moving parts in the compartment to shred your pack. So, if you have a top load washer just wash your pack by hand in the tub or hose it down at the car wash. Same goes for tents.
HuskyRunner

Postby HuskyRunner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:23 am

The other item I would caution about is I think some of the foam panels are glued in, when I washed mine, front loader, one of the panels came un-glued and now floats around a bit.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
mtnjam

Postby mtnjam » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:00 am

here you go

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/pack_care

love the talon series packs!

monty
sdkeil

Postby sdkeil » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am

I washed my talon 33 in my front loader and it cleaned up quite nicely. I agree though that i would not put it in a top loader that had an agitator.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
rking007

Postby rking007 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks for the info all. I ended up filling the tub a little with a bit of detergent and cold water. Pushed it around a little, hand scrubbed the offending ranch dressing and drained and refilled to rinse. Hung it out on the patio for half the day and it's good as new!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”