Avalanche awareness in Colo Springs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Carl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (58)
13er Checklist (30)

Avalanche awareness in Colo Springs?

Postby Carl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Last year some of you asked Friends of Berthoud Pass to do one of it's avalanche awareness presentations in Colorado Springs. At that point our calendar was full and it would have been difficult to make it happen. I'm working on the calendar now and I'd like to see something in the Springs in addition to the usual spots around Denver this year. We're looking for a free location that can host 50+ folks. It's a roughly 2 hour presentation and we usually do them on weeknights starting around 6:30 or 7pm. Some of our regular venues in the Denver area include the Oriental Theater, Wilderness Exchange, Bent Gate, DU, CU, to give you an idea. Bonus if you can drink during the class. Looking at Nov - Jan. We're a nonprofit, the class is free, and we'll provide a knowledgeable speaker.

So.... Should we try to put on an event in the Springs? Is there a demand for it? Could we get at least 50 in attendance to justify making the drive south? Anyone got a venue in mind or have a connection with CC or a local gear shop? Will you help promote it?

Thanks for the feedback!
oldschoolczar
14er Checklist Not Entered

Re: Avalanche awareness in Colo Springs?

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Do you have any presentations scheduled for Denver this summer/fall? I checked the website, but it looks like it's still got the 2011-2012 season up..
"Where's the beef?" -Wendy
Carl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (58)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Carl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 pm

oldschoolczar wrote:Do you have any presentations scheduled for Denver this summer/fall? I checked the website, but it looks like it's still got the 2011-2012 season up..

Rough draft of the calendar has the classes starting first week of November and continuing through early January. Denver venues are likely Wilderness Exchange, DU, and Oriental Theater. We'll post it up when we get the dates/venues locked!
tmathews

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Carl wrote:Last year some of you asked Friends of Berthoud Pass to do one of it's avalanche awareness presentations in Colorado Springs. At that point our calendar was full and it would have been difficult to make it happen. I'm working on the calendar now and I'd like to see something in the Springs in addition to the usual spots around Denver this year. We're looking for a free location that can host 50+ folks. It's a roughly 2 hour presentation and we usually do them on weeknights starting around 6:30 or 7pm. Some of our regular venues in the Denver area include the Oriental Theater, Wilderness Exchange, Bent Gate, DU, CU, to give you an idea. Bonus if you can drink during the class. Looking at Nov - Jan. We're a nonprofit, the class is free, and we'll provide a knowledgeable speaker.

So.... Should we try to put on an event in the Springs? Is there a demand for it? Could we get at least 50 in attendance to justify making the drive south? Anyone got a venue in mind or have a connection with CC or a local gear shop? Will you help promote it?

Thanks for the feedback!

I just put in a message to UCCS for this, Carl. If they have a venue available, it might attract a good number of students. I'll see if I can make more calls tomorrow.
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:06 pm

It might be bigger than you need, but there's Stargazers Theatre.

The East Library has a theater-style meeting room that holds 100 or so, I think (it's been a few years since I went to a presentation there, and they recently broke their website).
719-531-6333

The local REI hosts presentations of various sorts. It appears they can seat about 45.
http://www.rei.com/stores/colorado-springs.html#classesAndEvents
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
tmathews

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Jim Davies wrote:It might be bigger than you need, but there's Stargazers Theatre.

The East Library has a theater-style meeting room that holds 100 or so, I think (it's been a few years since I went to a presentation there, and they recently broke their website).
719-531-6333

The local REI hosts presentations of various sorts. It appears they can seat about 45.
http://www.rei.com/stores/colorado-springs.html#classesAndEvents

I thought about REI, too (I even know their educational outreach coordinator), but they put on their own avalanche education class. It's not as in-depth as the FoBP presentation, but there might be conflict of interest issues.
Jim Davies
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (61)

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Colorado College probably has some appropriate venue also, but I have no knowledge of their facilities.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
Carl
14er Checklist (58)
14ers Skied (58)
13er Checklist (30)

Postby Carl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks guys. Nice thing about CC or maybe UCCS is that we could set it up through an outdoor group/club/team. Then we've got someone at the venue to promote it and a group that's already interested.
tmathews

Postby tmathews » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Carl wrote:Thanks guys. Nice thing about CC or maybe UCCS is that we could set it up through an outdoor group/club/team. Then we've got someone at the venue to promote it and a group that's already interested.

I'll reach out to a few folks at CC tomorrow. I just didn't like what they did the last time you guys held a class there (moving the room at the last minute).
Jesse M
14er Checklist (24)
13er Checklist (15)

Postby Jesse M » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:06 pm

So.... Should we try to put on an event in the Springs? Is there a demand for it?

I would attend, and try and get my buddies to come along.
susanjoypaul
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (87)

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Colorado College probably has some appropriate venue also, but I have no knowledge of their facilities.

They had it there a few years ago... I even remember running into a few people from this site (and on this thread). Can't remember the name of the building but it was a good room.

And yes, I would attend.
EatinHardtack
14er Checklist (42)
14ers Skied (18)
14ers in Winter (3)
13er Checklist (72)

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:20 pm

I'll go, watch, donate and enjoy. Hopefully you can have it down here this year. I call a happy hour before hand.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”