PSA: Hunting Season

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Re: PSA: Hunting Season

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:29 am

klinger wrote:In Evergreen you can just get your Elk at the golf course or unlit road at night.

True, if have enough points to actually draw a tag. Probably a once in a lifetime. I hunt the Sangres. But practice calling of off my porch.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com
klinger
14er Checklist (15)

Postby klinger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 am

I was just horsing around but I always wondered if there was any..ummm...what would be the word.....harvesting, of our massive elk herd here. I don't think my craptacular tee shot off #13 made much of a dent in the population....
coloradokevin
14er Checklist (15)

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:38 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:
a94buff wrote:On the road to Shav last Saturday (opening day archery) 4 elk including a terrific 6 point bull walked across the road not 30 ft from my car. Getting excited for our Elk hunt 3rd season rifle. Got a nice bull last year north of Gunnison on Flattop mtn.

3rd season rifle makes me want to throw on a down layer as I type. I can move all winter not thinking about the cold, but a long sit in late CO fall is frigide. Good mountaineering training I guess. Awesome for you! Post a photo.

Though I am not a "lets go shoot everything" guy, hunting sure is a great way to pass time until snow falls.

Indeed. You don't know cold until you sit and wait on a hunt in the late fall. Moving in -20F winter weather is easier to deal with in my mind, and beats sitting and freezing.

I really need to get out for an elk hunt here in CO soon. I hunted whitetails back east as a kid, but never found the people to elk hunt with out here (and you can be darn sure I'm not going to try to carry out an animal that size by myself). But the hunts are calling to me again as I think of a nice tasty, yummy elk steak/burger/jerky.
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:16 am

I'm so jealous... chances of me getting a NE Elk tag are basically zero... although I'll likely still get out to bag a half-dozen turkeys and 2-3 whitetails...

gotta wait a few more weeks before the fun stuff starts down here.
Dark Helmet
14er Checklist (1)

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:19 am

coloradokevin wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:
a94buff wrote:On the road to Shav last Saturday (opening day archery) 4 elk including a terrific 6 point bull walked across the road not 30 ft from my car. Getting excited for our Elk hunt 3rd season rifle. Got a nice bull last year north of Gunnison on Flattop mtn.

3rd season rifle makes me want to throw on a down layer as I type. I can move all winter not thinking about the cold, but a long sit in late CO fall is frigide. Good mountaineering training I guess. Awesome for you! Post a photo.

Though I am not a "lets go shoot everything" guy, hunting sure is a great way to pass time until snow falls.

Indeed. You don't know cold until you sit and wait on a hunt in the late fall. Moving in -20F winter weather is easier to deal with in my mind, and beats sitting and freezing.

I really need to get out for an elk hunt here in CO soon. I hunted whitetails back east as a kid, but never found the people to elk hunt with out here (and you can be darn sure I'm not going to try to carry out an animal that size by myself). But the hunts are calling to me again as I think of a nice tasty, yummy elk steak/burger/jerky.

if you can get the tag, I'll tag along and help haul it out!
RoanMtnMan
14er Checklist (45)

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 am

klinger wrote:I was just horsing around but I always wondered if there was any..ummm...what would be the word.....harvesting, of our massive elk herd here. I don't think my craptacular tee shot off #13 made much of a dent in the population....

No worries at all. It brings up an interesting conundrum that I often ponder when heading to the Sangres to harvest perfectly healthy high alpine animals from a relatively small heard. Then I drive through Evergreen and see loads of not so healthy looking animals getting hit by motorists, breaking fences, and walking into Safeway. They really should issue more 39 tags. I love having them around, but the heard should be culled a bit. Not sure about golf balls. You would need a lot of time to site in a 3 iron.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”