barn latern fuel?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
davebks
14er Checklist (10)

barn latern fuel?

Postby davebks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 am

Morning all, I know this isn't directly mountain related but it seems like something people on here would know.
I was recently given one of those old barn laterns and want to fill it but I am not sure what kind of fuel to put in there?
Do you use Kerosene? tiki torch stuff?

I looked it over and while it shows some age the tank and bottom are not rusted so im assuming i can use this thing.
any ideas? The one below is not mine but one like it.
Attachments
ANG-SBL_-_SMALL_BARN_LANTERNS_IN_AVAILABLE_COLORS_2.JPG
ANG-SBL_-_SMALL_BARN_LANTERNS_IN_AVAILABLE_COLORS_2.JPG (93.09 KiB) Viewed 198 times
mtn_hikin
14er Checklist (10)
13er Checklist (1)

Re: barn latern fuel?

Postby mtn_hikin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:23 am

When I was a kid we used kerosene but the smell get pretty strong. I think you could also use the "Lamp Oil" they sell in store like Home Depot or even Wal-Mart
Presto
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (6)
13er Checklist (308)

Postby Presto » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:26 am

You can indeed use lamp oil with those lanterns (we have). Another nice alternative (and less odorous) to kerosene is a product called Klean Heat. That is available at most Home Depot stores in their outdoor gardening area.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
hotrod
14er Checklist (24)

Postby hotrod » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 am

I used to have a similar lantern, which was very very old. In fact I had to buy a new wick for it when it was discovered. I just used the lamp oil that has been suggested and it worked just fine.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
davebks
14er Checklist (10)

Postby davebks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks. I will check out those options.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”