Sill Looking for New Hiking/Climbing Boots.....

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
kbmiller
14er Checklist (28)

Re: Sill Looking for New Hiking/Climbing Boots.....

Postby kbmiller » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:48 am

Bronco -- I have a pair of Garmont Dakotas, men's size 10 for sale. Nice boots, just too stiff for my liking. I've worn them about 5 times (no peaks, just hunting and lake hiking) and they have an aftermarket insole and have been snosealed. No wear to speak of. I'll sell them to you cheap (relatively). Send me a PM.

--Kyle
cutbackcoach
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby cutbackcoach » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:26 am

I got the Lowa Renegade GTX you mentioned at the start of this summer. Both me and my wife, who also got a pair of these, think they are the best of the dozen odd hiking boots we've had thru the years. Remarkable blend of lightness, support, and performance from trail to scrambling. If they fit you, try em.
nyker
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby nyker » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:54 am

While I haven't used your Asolo models, I've seen them and tried them on in the store. You should look at the Fugitives.

I've used pairs of Asolo Fugitive Boots for 10yrs and they've generally been great, average 300 miles a year with replacement around the 400 mile mark or sooner depending on terrain. I've beat them up pretty well and they've never fallen apart, anywhere.

Like tires on a car, there are trade offs with boot soles; hard soles will last a while, just like harder compound tires will give you more lilfe, but both will be at the expense of traction/grip.

On the Fugitives, I've found the soles are pretty soft, but becuase of that they give excellent traction and grip. They are also lighter than your pair which will help after a long day.

Another thing to consider is if you really need such a boot and if you can get by with a trail runner/low cut hiker in the dry weather. I've been using my Fugitives less and less and have been leaning towards trail runners in dry weather and mountaineering boots in the snow.
Navigaiter
14er Checklist (46)
13er Checklist (48)

Postby Navigaiter » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 am

While fairly expensive, I'm a huge fan of Aku (http://www.aku.it/us/prodotti.html). I can't wear La Sportivas due to my foot width, and when I was last at Neptune, I tried about every boot they had, and none matched the comfort of Aku, at least for me.

I've worn Akus for years, and the traction, ankle support, and design are all fantastic.
nyker
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby nyker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:40 am

Aku looks like a good shoe with solid Italian craftmanship with an alpine heritage.

Some of those approach shoes look like they'd be pretty workable.

I'll have a to find a pair to try on. Might have to wait for a trip out west, since not sure if any stores around here carry them.
broncotw
14er Checklist (40)
13er Checklist (3)

Postby broncotw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Lots of GREAT recommendations! Thanks everyone.......
Ted from TEXAS!

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”