4 Season Tent - Nemo Moki 3p or Mountain Hardwear EV 3

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.

Which One

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:53 am

Nemo Moki 3p
No votes
Mountain Hardwear EV3
44%
Other
56%

Total votes: 9
ryanmay
14er Checklist (1)

4 Season Tent - Nemo Moki 3p or Mountain Hardwear EV 3

Postby ryanmay » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:53 am

We are in the process of buying our first 4 season tent. Through my research, I believe I have narrowed it down to 2.

Nemo Moki 3p
http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-moki-tent

Mountain Hardwear EV3
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/EV%E2%84%A2-3/OU9494,default,pd.html

Does anyone have any personal experience with either of them? They both seem pretty amazing!
I Man
14er Checklist (58)
14ers in Winter (49)
13er Checklist (73)

Re: 4 Season Tent - Nemo Moki 3p or Mountain Hardwear EV 3

Postby I Man » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm

We used the EV3 on Rainier this July. It was small, but sufficient for 3 climbers and gear. Durability seems to be an issue as some stake loops ripped and we experienced rockfall at one of our camps that tore a hole in the side.

We spent 5 nights in a row in it without too much trouble.

That being said, overall I like the tent very much. 7lbs is a great weight for what it is, but it is certainly designed for high altitude.

I would use the tent again, and going forward I think it will be used for high camps on the big boys.
kushrocks
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (16)
13er Checklist (21)

Postby kushrocks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 pm

PM my buddy Kevo. He used the Nemo Moki on Denali last year.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
ed20320
14er Checklist (56)
14ers in Winter (10)
13er Checklist (10)

Postby ed20320 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 am

remember your going to get a wide variety of answers.

I saw an EV3 collapse on Aconcagua. on Denali and Aconcagua, i used TNF tents. a mountain tent on denali and a VE25 on aconcagua. while i think everyone would agree North Face isn't the company it used to be, these 2 tents have been staples for many years.

take a look at hilleburg as well. the Janeu is 6.5 pounds for a 4 season tent, large footprint and its a Hilleburg.

good luck.

Ed
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”
climbing_rob
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (121)

Postby climbing_rob » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:07 pm

On the surface, the EV3 looks great. Lots of space for the weight. The Achilles heal of this kind of tent: It does not have a separate vestibule. A vestibule is crucial on Big, High mountains when you are trapped in a tent for days. I would look at tents with vestibules. that Moki looks a lot better to me, but also check out the tried and true Trango line of tents from MHW. The Trango 2 looks similar in specs. I just bought a new Trango 2 for the CMC HAMs school for half price, right around $300. It goes on sale often.
nyker
14er Checklist (58)
13er Checklist (6)

Postby nyker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Check out Hilleberg Tents

Bomber tents, doublwall that pitches like a single wall and pretty lightweight.
They have their 4 season models, then tougher/stronger 4 season models.

http://www.hilleberg.com/usa.htm
Climbdent
14er Checklist (57)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (32)

Postby Climbdent » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:47 pm

If you end up getting an EV2/3 make sure that you get the 2012 or newer model which are lighter (changed the waterproofing on the floor). However, I agree with Climbing_Rob that I would want a tent that has a vestibule for days of poor weather.

As per collapsing tents, failure to properly build a wall or dig in isn't indicative of a quality tent just poor mountaineering skills.

I have stay in Helleberg tents and they are well designed and you can't go wrong. TNF tents tend to be really heavy, but if you are dropping a tent in one spot and not having to carry or move camps it doesn't really matter.

You might also look into this tent. http://brooks-range.com/Invasion-Tent.html. It is similar in design as the EV2 but with a vestibule but I'm not sure if they have a 3person version. I stayed in the tent for a couple of days on Rainier this Summer. It's not the biggest tent around but if you are doing a route like Liberty Ridge you will not mind.

One last note, if possible sleep in a friends single wall tent in poor weather before buying one to see if the significant condensation if something you want deal with.

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”