SPOT Beacon....

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Re: SPOT Beacon....

Postby TallGrass » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:56 pm

FYI, Spot's offering a rebate for the price of the beacon if you buy a beacon and one-year subscription between December 21-24. Details: http://www.findmespot.com/HolidayWeekendRebate http://www.findmespot.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=15
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
jrs1965
14er Checklist (57)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (5)

Postby jrs1965 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:16 am

SpringsJeff wrote:+1 on the ACR Resqlink

Higher initial cost but no annual fee

Uses the 406 mhz SARSAT system

Can't text or do the cute stuff but when my wife and I are snowshoeing hut to hut in the middle of nowhere I need to know I can absolutely, positively reach SAR in an emergency.

Agreed, my Christmas present to myself was the ACR ResQLink 406.

It uses two separate and dedicated constellations of SAR satellites. The first constellation of three satellites (GEOSAR) are in a geosynchronous orbit at 22,000 miles. One of these birds will get an instant read on your beacon and GPS fix if the unit has located itself via internal GPS. The second constellation (LEOSAR) are in low Earth orbit and has a maximum gap in coverage time of 90 minutes. If for some reason the GPS on the unit doesn't transmit your location to the synchronous birds the low Earth birds will triangulate your location as they pass over. Lastly, the unit has a separate homing beacon and a strobe light for the ground/air rescue force to zero in on.

Easy choice for me...

Last edited by jrs1965 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TallGrass
14er Checklist Not Entered
13er Checklist (16)

Postby TallGrass » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Was passing on rebate info (through Dec 24) for those who've decided on SPOT and or it's features, jrs1965, not trying to rekindling debate.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."

Return to “Gear, Climbing Prep, Safety, etc.”