Touring in Alpine Boots

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Touring in Alpine Boots

Post by TomPierce »

I just posted a set of free skis/bindings/skins...maybe he could combine them with your Trekkers, mbourget?

-Tom
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
mtnfiend wrote: I have a friend who still stubbornly refuses to buy touring gear. Plug boots and trekkers are his go to. It's like some hard-man-point-of-pride with him - it's freak'n unbelievable.
That's retarded. If your going to do it more than a couple of days a year, your crazy not to get the right gear
THANK YOU BILL! I sent that to my girlfriend who refuses to buy AT boots despite the fact that we're out touring 30+ days per year. Her typical response when I bring up the AT boot question is: My boots are 'fine.' I can guarantee they are NOT fine! ](*,)
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

I'll be lucky if I can do any of it this spring so it is probably a while out but I appreciate the input. I'll keep researching it though and maybe take a chance on a good deal if I find one.

What is the set up you guys currently have? Any recent and noticeable improvements to gear?
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

CUaaron25 wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:
mtnfiend wrote: I have a friend who still stubbornly refuses to buy touring gear. Plug boots and trekkers are his go to. It's like some hard-man-point-of-pride with him - it's freak'n unbelievable.
That's retarded. If your going to do it more than a couple of days a year, your crazy not to get the right gear
THANK YOU BILL! I sent that to my girlfriend who refuses to buy AT boots despite the fact that we're out touring 30+ days per year. Her typical response when I bring up the AT boot question is: My boots are 'fine.' I can guarantee they are NOT fine! ](*,)
Dude. Quit arguing with your lady. You let her use whatever boots she wants.

:mrgreen:
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

kwhit24 wrote:I'll be lucky if I can do any of it this spring so it is probably a while out but I appreciate the input. I'll keep researching it though and maybe take a chance on a good deal if I find one.

What is the set up you guys currently have? Any recent and noticeable improvements to gear?

Are you a capable alpine skier?
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

SkaredShtles wrote:
Are you a capable alpine skier?
Define capable ? :mrgreen:
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

THANK YOU BILL! I sent that to my girlfriend who refuses to buy AT boots despite the fact that we're out touring 30+ days per year. Her typical response when I bring up the AT boot question is: My boots are 'fine.' I can guarantee they are NOT fine! ](*,)[/quote]
Dude. Quit arguing with your lady. You let her use whatever boots she wants.

:mrgreen:[/quote]

haha it's not really an argument, just a fun back and forth! :-"
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I toured in alpine gear and boots for a while and just post holed up the mountains, now that was hard, I tried a light weight dynadit setup and disliked the skis and the bindings. I've found my happy place with fritchi and pocket rockets and bd quadrants. At boots and gear are absolutely perfect for ski mountaineering in Colorado.

I'm a level 5 psisas skier, I ski mostly greens , some blues