Mt. Elbert--easier route newbie lab

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldDude
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Elbert--easier route newbie lab

Post by OldDude »

I've done the south route (starting from the upper parking lot) and wondering if the shorter northeast trail which I've never done would be easier for my dog, especially as it relates to talus/rock etc.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Mt. Elbert--easier route newbie lab

Post by huffy13 »

If you are referring to the standard trail I do believe that it is a pretty dog friendly route. Saw several folks with dogs on that route and none seemed to be having a bad time with it. There is some rocky sections toward the top, but nothing really bad.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
OldDude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

huffy13 wrote:If you are referring to the standard trail . . .
standard trail = northeast trail? I'm thinking we're talking about the same trail. Anyway thanks for feedback. Last summer on south trail I'd never seen so many dogs off leash. Crazy.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

The East Ridge is the standard route. This is what I believe you're referring to when you said south trailhead. It's going to be easier (for dogs) in my opinion than the Northeast trail. The TH for the Northeast trail is literally across the road from Mt. Massive. This route has a couple false summits and is much rockier, less traveled.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

OldDude wrote:I've done the south route (starting from the upper parking lot) and wondering if the shorter northeast trail which I've never done would be easier for my dog, especially as it relates to talus/rock etc.
The two routes you are comparing -- the NE ridge route starting from the North Mt. Elbert TH and the E ridge route starting from the South Mt. Elbert/Twin Lakes 4WD upper TH -- are both Class 1 routes that, in my view, have little material difference between them in talus/rock/terrain. Instead, one simply has a little more elevation gain and is slightly longer (4700 ft of elevation gain in 9 miles vs. 4100 ft of elevation gain in 8.5 miles). On a July 4th weekend ascent in 2012 using the longer NE ridge route, our team included a roughcoat standard collie (that's him in the avatar) and a border collie, both flatlander dogs, and they had no issues on the route, regarding the talus/rock/terrain or any other aspect of the climb.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
OldDude
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OldDude »

Sorry for my confusion but you all are correct that I'm referring to the East trail, the easy one for old dudes. So based on the feedback I'll do this trail again this summer when I bring my lab. Might also pitch a tent below tree line and spend the night. It's a pretty area. Bring my bear canister should I tent?
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

I've never encountered bears on any of my camping trips in the Sawatch area, but I always keep my food and drinks sealed up in good coolers...you might check with some of the forestry offices in the region and ask about bear activity in the area. If you were going to be in the Sangres or San Juans I would definitely recommend bear canisters, it would probably be better to do so just to be on the safe side.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I had a Bear Experience near Mt. Princeton hot springs, at the junction of the CO Trail and Browns Creek Trail. So, they are around.

I don't see much wildlife on the road leading up to the standard route of Elbert though, it's such a heavy-use road (and loud). Lots of places to camp. Maybe leave the food in the car?
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Either route is fine for dogs. If you are car camping, keep food in your car. There are plenty of bears in the Sawatch but, for some unknown reason, problem bears are far less common than in other ranges.

Dave