Water for Dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kmayer94
Trip Reports (0)

Water for Dogs

Post by Kmayer94 »

Hey everyone. :)

My dog, Khaleesi, and I have done a few 14ers together and I carry all the water for us. I'd like to do one for her where she can get in some water or go into a little river/something along those lines.

Do you guys know of any 14ers that have water like that?

I would love to do Missouri, Oxford and Belford and I'd also like to know if those have any water nearby.

Thank you!
Tejonmax
14ers: 25 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Water for Dogs

Post by Tejonmax »

There is a stream part way to the tree line on the Belford/Oxford, Missouri trail. Once the trail splits off to Missouri above the treeline there are 2 or 3 more creek crossings that have a pretty good amount of water in them. Towards Belford and Oxford there isn't any more water.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Tejonmax wrote:Towards Belford and Oxford there isn't any more water.
Unless some poor schmuck gives all his water to a sad dog on Belford's summit.
I could care less if you die of thirst, but I'll give my last drop of water to your dog.
Been there, done that.
Not that long ago.
NetJetsHiker
14ers: 41 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NetJetsHiker »

Lakes/ponds on Sherman, Bierstadt, and Handies. I assume you mean to play in.
My dog carries her own water and food.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

As far as Missouri-Bel-Ox, the Missouri Gulch drainage should have some water available as high as 12000' or even a little higher. I recall at least one major stream crossing around 12,300' or so (which my dog appreciated). As of a week and a half ago, there were still a few small snowfields remaining in Missouri's couloirs, feeding those streams.

Hope this helps.
81trucolors
14ers: 54  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 81trucolors »

Plenty of water on Humboldt if you are willing to share a bit of yours above S. Colony Lakes.