What happened to Missy?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.
its_not_a_tuba
14er Checklist (34)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (4)

Re: What happened to Missy?

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:Please, no more campaigning on Tony's behalf on these forums. It's not the place for it. Nor is the bashing that we saw in the previous thread. Any editorials about his character here won't change a thing.

For reasons I don't fully understand about myself (even after 45 years), I am very sympathetic to Mr. Ortolani. I don't hate him for his mistakes.

But we should not try the case any more in this venue.

Let's let the law handle this from here on out.

The focus needs to be on applying the lessons for greater good, and recognizing the efforts of the rescuers.

Very well said.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
yourperspective
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby yourperspective » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I did not originally intend to add to this forum however every news article keeps pushing people here and he is going to have to live with these news stories forever. So, people should know more about him than just this single story of his life.

I am sorry for wasting your time if you disagree.
Last edited by yourperspective on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MtHurd
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (29)

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 pm

I saw the article on Huffington Post and when it forced me to go to 14ers.com, I raised my fist to the air and shouted "DAMN YOU BILL MIDDLEBROOK!" :lol:

p.s. sorry for the plagiarism.
GregMiller
14er Checklist (30)
14ers Skied (4)
14ers in Winter (1)
13er Checklist (18)

Postby GregMiller » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:31 pm

RichAllen wrote:It's funny how so many on this site had the same thought about getting a rescue group for animals together...my friends and I were discussing this just last night. If such a group forms, I would like to be a part of it.

Something to keep in mind for this group is to make some distinctions on what you will and will not rescue - I'm totally for rescuing dogs and other human-portable pets (and will probably join up for that). But do you want to be the people called when someone finds an abandoned horse, or other animal that would take significantly more resources?

EDIT - (Sorry I forgot to say this) Very glad to hear that Missy/Lucky is doing great!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
I fall a lot
14er Checklist Not Entered

Postby I fall a lot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 pm

edit: it's all been said already.

Thankful that Missy and the rescuers are safe and sound.
Last edited by I fall a lot on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridge runner
14er Checklist (49)
14ers in Winter (12)
13er Checklist (98)

Postby Ridge runner » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 pm

RosieTheSummiter wrote:A rescue group for dogs - I think it's a great idea.

May I also propose one thing that will probably make me unpopular with half the people in this group but needs to be considered if a group like this forms? I'd like to consider a petition to keep all dogs off of class 3 summits and above. ...?

If this petition goes through, can I petition to keep all idiots off of class 3 summits and above too? That will probably make me unpopular with half the people in this group but it needs to be considered. I am going to do what I damn well please with my dog and police like you are not going to tell me otherwise. I have a brain, I don't need yours.

If you're so concerned about the well-being of dogs, then why don't you go help out at an animal shelter?? (I am very happy to hear that Missy is off the mountain and healthy.)
MtHurd
14er Checklist (57)
14ers in Winter (4)
13er Checklist (29)

Postby MtHurd » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Ridge runner wrote:

May I also propose one thing that will probably make me unpopular with half the people in this group but needs to be considered if a group like this forms? I'd like to consider a petition to keep all dogs off of class 3 summits and above. ...?

If this petition goes through, can I petition to keep all idiots off of class 3 summits and above too? That will probably make me unpopular with half the people in this group but it needs to be considered. I am going to do what I damn well please with my dog and police like you are not going to tell me otherwise. I have a brain, I don't need yours.

If you're so concerned about the well-being of dogs, then why don't you go help out at an animal shelter?? (I am very happy to hear that Missy is off the mountain and healthy.)

Uhhhh ooooo. Looks like another locked topic.
edhaman
14er Checklist (15)
13er Checklist (14)

Postby edhaman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Relating to forming a dog rescue group, it was suggested in a post on the original thread about Missy that anyone interested contact the animal welfare organization "Animal Help Now" at info@ahnow.org.
metalmountain
14er Checklist (35)
14ers Skied (1)
14ers in Winter (2)
13er Checklist (26)

Postby metalmountain » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Barry Raven wrote:
Ridge runner wrote:

Uhhhh ooooo. Looks like another locked topic.

Oh good god...No kidding, can we just lock this one now? This will go nowhere good and will be completely derailed in the next hour.

caboose-off-track.jpg
caboose-off-track.jpg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 439 times
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Hungry Jack
14er Checklist (12)
13er Checklist (4)

Postby Hungry Jack » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Ridge runner wrote:

This is pretty funny. Reminds me of my neighbor.
I need more dehydrogenase.
ulvetano
14er Checklist (50)
14ers Skied (8)
14ers in Winter (8)
13er Checklist (20)

Postby ulvetano » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Ban Class 3's for dogs....that's just silly. And what else would you ban? My buddy's dog ripped up his paws on Harvard (Class II) and couldn't hardly walk; while my pup was fine with it. My pup has gotten ripped pads on long FLAT trail runs before. So no dogs on the flats either?

Common sense judgement and managing experiences levels for people/dogs is all you can do.

Return to “Pets on Peaks”