Forum rules
This forum is read-only
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog Found: Mt. Bierstadt!

Post by screeman57 »

Well, I'm already convinced this is a sick hoax, but just one more point and then I'm done with this: it seems very unlikely to me that this "dog found" post would have preceded a "dog lost" post by the owner.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

My concerns from the start of this thread have been about the owner. If this was fake, it might explain why no efforts have been made by the owner to get the dog...since there actually isn't an emergency to respond to. Seems like the missing puzzle piece, huh?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
ChrisRoberts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I'd really like to know how it was determined that the dog "appeared to have been there a few days". How was this assumption made.
ChrisRoberts
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Hard to believe someone is demented enough to initiate this as a hoax, BUT... why have they not responded to this thread after the first post? Seems strange that they wouldn't have checked in and made some further comments, eh?
The couple of times I've checked the TR, it shows that they were online...including right now. Seems theyre monitoring the progression of this thread.
Hungry Jack
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Is this a hoax? Would be really shitty if it were. Seems like enough people do the Sawtooth that there would be multiple reports of this.
please rotate your device
2_Salukis
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 2_Salukis »

kimism72 wrote:I just called the number.

Gentleman in his 30's, maybe, answered, claimed to be Scott.

He says that him and his wife bandaged the dog's paws, .....
I can't imagine anyone would be stupid enough to give his actual phone number if it were a hoax. Given it wasn't a "wrong number" or a fictional number, but a person who was conversant of the post/problem would point to it being true.
wash
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wash »

Hello everyone, My name is Scott Washburn and I am the original poster of this report. I apologize for not posting something sooner but I had only been watching the trip report that I posted and not this lost-and-found thread.

Let me first say that this is not a hoax and I'm sorry for some of the confusion that has occurred. We are trying to coordinate some help for this dog but we want to make sure that it is done safely and that no one is hurt trying to evacuate the dog. I would guess that she weighs approximately 80 lbs and we found her in some very difficult terrain so a rescue will be no small feat.

I haven't had a chance to read through all of these comments but the photo of the dog is one that my wife and I took yesterday. We cropped it to just show the dog but the "pant leg" is mine. We had applied the bandages shown in the photo hoping that we could get the dog to walk out under her own power since we were unable to carry her but unfortunately that didn't work either. Our assessment that she had been out there for a day or more is simply my best guess based on the condition we found her in. She was extremely dehydrated and there was some blood from her paws that look like it had been dried for more than just the morning. I live in Colorado but still retain my cell phone number from California. Please feel free to call if you have any questions (<edited>). The dog does have a collar with a rabies tag but no additional information such as her name. There was a number on the rabies tag but I honestly thought that we'd be back shortly with Park Services so I didn't write it down (a mistake in hindsight). I have no idea how the dog got there or where her owner is.

Here is the current status: a group of volunteers went out looking for her last night and were unable to find her. They were looking in the dark and unfortunately the dog is almost all black and probably very difficult to spot. She wasn't making any noises when we found her either which again makes it more difficult. We had left her on an open rock (shown in the photo) where we thought it would be easy to spot her but she may have crawled into a crevice for shelter. We were considering heading back out at first light but decided to wait because we didn't have the manpower to pull her out even if we were able to find her.

I also spoke to a veterinarian who was kind enough to call and offer his opinion, which was unfortunately not good. He thought that based on her condition she may have suffered internal injuries or be suffering from shock (her unwillingness to move combined with other factors). I had suggested the idea of sedating her to get her out but he said this was a bad idea and could potentially kill her if she had in fact suffered from shock or internal injuries. He said the most we should give her is Benadryl.

My thoughts for moving forward are as follows.
-If any one is going to be up there they could try and bring the dog water and food. She is heavy and on difficult terrain and if she can have some time to heal she may be able to get out under her own power.
-I am trying to see about another effort to go and bring her out. There are several complicating factors: the dog is heavy (~80lbs), she is uncooperative and I have been told not to sedate her, and the terrain is very difficult. This all combines to putting anyone involved in rescuing her at risk. I love dogs but I do not want anyone to risk injuring themselves.
-In order for a rescue to work we need a minimum of 6 (my estimate) very strong and fit people who can carry an 80lbs pack over Class 3 terrain. We also need a large, stabilized backpack big enough to hold the dog.
-As far as a rescue for today, it is getting late and thunderstorms are forecast for the afternoon. Again, I do not want to put anyone at risk by doing this so a rescue effort will likely have to be delayed until tomorrow morning.

Please feel free to contact me at <edited> with any questions, concerns, or advice. I live in Denver and I'm trying to do the best I can but I'm also trying to weigh the life of this dog (who I would love to save, don't get me wrong) against the safety of anyone trying to get her.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

kimism72 wrote:Thank you Scott. It was becoming apparent that we needed your voice in this. I apologize for being a skeptic. That's the nature of forum interaction. I wish I could help.
ditto.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

This is not a hoax. Scott is a great friend and trying to do the right thing. I hope that this dog gets down safe.
Hungry Jack
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Thank you to Scott for reporting this. It is certainly an unusual situation. I hope this dog is able to survive until a rescue can be performed. It sounds like quite an undertaking.
please rotate your device
wash
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wash »

Hello everyone, here is the current rescue plan:

We will be meeting at Guanella Pass Trailhead tomorrow, August 13th, at 5am. From there we will head out along the West Slopes approach to the top of Mt. Bierstadt. We will then head down along the east side of Bierstadt along the Sawtooth, and then head downslope of the Sawtooth trail to where the dog was last seen. I plan on trying to evacuate the dog the same way we came in. Although this may not be the fastest or shortest route, I believe it is the safest approach for everyone involved.

I have only done Bierstadt once (yesterday) and have not taken this particular path before. I'm just taking a guess that it will take 2-3 hours to reach the top of Bierstadt. Then we have to locate and rig up the dog to evacuate her, I'm guessing that could take up to 2 hours. Then we need to bring her back up Bierstadt, my guess is 3 hours there. Then we have to get her back down, so maybe 2 more hours there. All told this could take 10 hours or more.

I could use all of the volunteers that are willing to come. It will require a lot of strength and manpower to get the dog out. Additionally it will probably be difficult to locate her since she may have moved from where she was last seen or taken cover so the more eyes we have the better. If you are willing to help please contact me at <edited> to let me know (text is fine, but please include your name so I can keep track). I'm guessing that a minimum of 6 people to carry her out will be required but obviously having more people will help.

I think I have located a large backpack that could work to get her out but if you have a backpack or any other device that you think would work, please bring it to the trailhead tomorrow. We will evaluate what we have available and bring 2 or 3 options to give ourselves the best chance of bringing her out.

If you have any SAR or rescue experience I would greatly appreciate your advice. Please contact me directly at <edited>.

I am sorry, but I will not be coordinating any attempt at a rescue today. Given the length of time that it will take and the fact that thunderstorms are projected for this afternoon I do not want to jeopardize the safety of anyone involved.

If you went up Bierstadt today and tried to find the dog please contact me directly as well, even if you were unsuccessful. The more information the better.

One final note: there does exist the distinct possibility that we will not be able to locate the dog, or even worse, that she may have passed during the night. I am hopeful but I think it wise to remain realistic about the situation.

Thanks you for all of your responses and offers of assistance,
Scott
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

me and my friend chase will be there at 5am. <edited>
Vincit Qui Patitur