dog friendly

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
caseygries
Trip Reports (0)

Re: dog friendly

Post by caseygries »

You're probably well aware, but it's always a good idea to bring some form of paw protection along. We took our 11 mo Aussie Shepherd/Cattle dog mix up Mt Hope and La Plata a few weeks back and without good paw conditioning (calluses) their pads can (and will) get cut up on sharp rocks, scree, etc. We have some Ruffwear Grip Trex that were required on the way down and worked well.
La Plata.jpg
La Plata.jpg (156.94 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

what a great picture. they look like people on the trail with their packs and boots. funny.
was it hard to get them used to the booties? do you feel like they aren't as safe because they cant dig in with thier claws? I always wondered about that.
caseygries
Trip Reports (0)

Post by caseygries »

Not hard at all, they get the hang of them pretty quick, especially when they're so excited to keep moving (it is really entertaining seeing their first couple steps with the booties on!). I suggest putting them on during or right before a hike/walk so that they associate the booties with being out - they'll be much more willing to wear them that way.

As you mentioned, the downside is that the dogs do loose some of their normal traction (though these have Vibram traction technology, which is a bonus). We try to limit their usage to when there is little fall risk and only when we can see, or predict, their pads starting to become sore. Our 4 yr old Aussie (the black one in the back of the pic) hasn't needed to wear his booties in 1-2 yrs because his paw pads have become so used to the terrain.

Another advantage is in the snow; ice balls often form between their pads and these booties help keep them from forming.
PattyCakes
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PattyCakes »

The first 14er I did with my dog Rocky was Mt. Elbert. I would highly recommend Mt. Elbert to start your dog off, and girlfriend. The trail doesn't have too many rocky parts, and it's only a 8 mile round trip. Plus the view on top of Colorado's tallest 14er are incredible! Also it's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from the Boulder area. Your dog will have a blast climbing 14ers, I know mine do!
bpko
14ers: 13  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bpko »

I took Gus up the Decalibron Loop last year and he loved it. I would say that was his favorite fourteener, alongside Missouri Mountain. But it might be a good idea to just climb Decali and leave out Bross, the heavy loose scree was a bit of a challenge for Gus. Maybe Jax is different.

Elbert is always a safe bet, too.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "Sir," without adding, "you're making a scene."
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

decalibron, interesting stuff. how long would you say it takes? any idea on mileage for that endeavor?
http://www.summitpost.org/the-decalibron/161368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;