Dog breeds for hiking/running

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highcomm
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dog breeds for hiking/running

Post by highcomm »

I'm partial to West Highland Terriers.
Attachments
Jeff&Baxter.jpg
Jeff&Baxter.jpg (113.23 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
pnolans
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

My dog Taz is a German Shepherd/Aus Cattle dog mix. He's a rescue dog. He had a few minor "neuroses" when I first got him.

He's overcome these, and he's hiked 3 or 4 14ers with me now. I take him running with me when I do that, and he keeps me moving. We do lots of hiking around town for now.

Generally, he's waiting for me. He does very well on voice command, I leash him on the mtn when around others people or mountain goats. He likes to chase the goats and is very friendly and wants to make friends with every other person and dog on the trail. Not everybody wants to make friends, hence the leash.
My suggestion, go for a rescue dog. IMNSHO
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine
elchivoloco
14ers: 52  3  3 
13ers: 33 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elchivoloco »

Tucker is a 2yr old mutt, but with a McNab dog phenotype. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McNab_(dog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) He chases skiers enthuiastically in the winter, bicycles in the summer, and hasn't needed too much climate related TLC. Though he was scared of rugged terrain when he was first rescued, a year of gradual exposure has turned him into a pretty decent scrambler. He's done about a dozen 14'ers, but mostly in the winter to avoid crowds and harassing wildlife.

If you want a real rock climbing dog look into Terriers. Remember the Jack Russel from Front Range Freaks? My pals JRT is a pretty excellent soloist.
Attachments
DSCN2068a.JPG
DSCN2068a.JPG (208.25 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
DSCN2525a.JPG
DSCN2525a.JPG (160.6 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
baldwin gulch trailheada.JPG
baldwin gulch trailheada.JPG (179.89 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
The atmosphere is not a perfume, it has no taste of distillation, it is odorless. It is in my mouth forever, I am in love with it. I will go to the bank by the wood and become undisguised and naked, I am mad for it to be in contact with me. -Walt Whitman
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

pnolans wrote:My dog Taz is a German Shepherd/Aus Cattle dog mix. He's a rescue dog. He had a few minor "neuroses" when I first got him.
My old dog was mostly blue heeler and a rescue dog. Incredible dog with hilarious neuroses. She was scared to death of any animal larger than her (not a very good cattle dog) and obsessed with marmots and pika. She climbed quite a few fourteeners and was a great dog to ski with. She also could free solo at about a 5.4 level.
I think this is a picture of her father:
I hike like a girl - I think you'll have fun with the dog you found.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

So I'll post a pic of my pooch as well. We've hiked almost 300 miles together this season.
Attachments
Scout.jpg
Scout.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Jackk819
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jackk819 »

I have 3 labs.The blacks ones are 5 years old and one 7 years old. And we just got a 7 week old yellow lab. They listen very well and can be out in blistering cold weather, and swim in it too! I use them for hunting and they are very tough dogs. But the biggest one is a whimp, he weighs about 130lbs and is scared to death of everything, his current mission is to escape our new puppy. He is terrified of him.
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

[quote="cheeseburglar]I think this is a picture of her father:
Image[/quote]
That's pretty darn funny. Just saw Road Warrior on TV a couple of days ago.

Nice dog photos, everyone. I look forward to meeting your canine climbing partners on the peaks.
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

Jackk819 wrote: But the biggest one is a whimp, he weighs about 130lbs and is scared to death of everything, his current mission is to escape our new puppy. He is terrified of him.
Awwww. That is freaking hilarious. You should make a video. :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
pnolans
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pnolans »

IHikeLikeAGirl wrote:After many visits to the Humane Society and viewing some of the breeds suggested (or a mix thereof), my daughter and I fell hard for a German Shepherd/Chow named Lily. :iluvu: Ironically, I was wanting to stay away from a Chow, but we walked her a few times and she just fit so well.

And yes, I WILL pick up after her...and I'll do it with a smile! :D

Really cool-looking dog. It's my belief, since I have one, that rescue dogs make the best companions.

Good luck.
"Hey Queen Isabella,
stay away from that fella
He'll just get you into trouble, you know"
Common Sense John Prine
aspengirl88
Trip Reports (0)

Post by aspengirl88 »

I have a 10 year old Golden that I rescued a year and a half ago. I thought he was a hospice patient...until I took him out on the trail. He kicked my butt! He's an awesome 14er climber, although he gets in some tight spots while rock scrambling. I've taken him camping dozens of times as well. All I bring for him is: plenty of water when I know we'll be away from a water source, 2x as much food as I normally feed him (to make up for extra calories burned), a leash, poop bags, his Ruff Wear booties, and a doggie backpack that he hauls his own stuff in. Sometimes a tennis ball :) I've never seen the need to spoil him with a bed, as he steals my sleeping pad anyways. He's a lovely novelty to have when it's cold outside, especially when he's at my feet. He's a truly awesome dog. Good luck with Lily! I bet she'll have a ton of fun following you around :) Below is a picture of Aspen on the descent of Gray's. Check out his awesome booties!
Attachments
P8241376m.jpg
P8241376m.jpg (153.1 KiB) Viewed 5202 times
lodidodi
14ers: 27 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by lodidodi »

I have a siberian husky, here is when he was 1 month and 6 months old. He loves the cold but gets lazy when it's really hot out. He does really well in the mountains, he gets a little scared on some hard class 2 but he's getting better at it.
cwesley73
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cwesley73 »

Great looking rescue dog! I am sure your family will be happy.

This is my mutt.
hemma.jpg
hemma.jpg (110.84 KiB) Viewed 4880 times

She is half yellow lab and half great pyrenees, and weighs about 100lbs. She loves to hike, climb, and camp, and has the energy to go forever. She is very mellow when at home and is an indoor dog. She has no issue with other animals although she eyeballs squirrels and other small animals from time to time. She is only protective towards people when she is with my sons(I guess I don't rank high enough to be protected). She has medium to long hair so the cold is not an issue with her. She is absolutely the best dog I have had known and is a valued member of my family.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Marianne Williamson