Dogs on 14ers

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gatorchick
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Dogs on 14ers

Post by gatorchick »

Dogs go where their owners go, eh?

Then what do you have to say about Quandary Dog?
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)
England
Trip Reports (0)

Post by England »

I never really had an opinion on dogs out and about in Colorado, but the past few years have shaped my opinion into being a completely anti dog person. EVERYWHERE I go I encounter VERY rude dog owners who complete disobey the rules. I've crashed my mountain bike numerous times trying to avoid dogs that should have been leashed. My back yard of Cheyenne Canon has been ruined due to dog crap. A walk up Gold Camp road, and you will know what I mean. I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but this is something I feel very strong about now. My childrens lunch has been stolen by dogs that should have been leashed. My kids have been bitten by dogs that should have been leashed. I encounter bags of dog crap in the middle of the trail, with no dog owner in site. By the way who do they think is going to come though, and pick up their dogs crap... My climbing gear is constantly walked on by dogs(just yesterday) at the local crags. Just recently a lady came to Monument Lake, pulled right up beside where we were fishing, and proceeded to wash her dog. My hike in North Catamont just a week ago I passed three bag full of dog crap, and many sections of the trail including the parking lot smelled of it. As I hike up to the incline here in Colorado Spring, I gag from the smell of dog crap. I'm sorry, I know this is going to make dog owners angry, but I'm angry of the situation.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

I have survived 3 avalanches...all my fault. yes i'm a dumb-ass!
gatorchick
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by gatorchick »

England wrote:I never really had an opinion on dogs out and about in Colorado, but the past few years have shaped my opinion into being a completely anti dog person. EVERYWHERE I go I encounter VERY rude dog owners who complete disobey the rules. I've crashed my mountain bike numerous times trying to avoid dogs that should have been leashed. My back yard of Cheyenne Canon has been ruined due to dog crap. A walk up Gold Camp road, and you will know what I mean. I wasn't going to comment on this thread, but this is something I feel very strong about now. My childrens lunch has been stolen by dogs that should have been leashed. My kids have been bitten by dogs that should have been leashed. I encounter bags of dog crap in the middle of the trail, with no dog owner in site. By the way who do they think is going to come though, and pick up their dogs crap... My climbing gear is constantly walked on by dogs(just yesterday) at the local crags. Just recently a lady came to Monument Lake, pulled right up beside where we were fishing, and proceeded to wash her dog. My hike in North Catamont just a week ago I passed three bag full of dog crap, and many sections of the trail including the parking lot smelled of it. As I hike up to the incline here in Colorado Spring, I gag from the smell of dog crap. I'm sorry, I know this is going to make dog owners angry, but I'm angry of the situation.
Those things anger a lot of us dog owners too. :evil:
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)
R Scholz
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by R Scholz »

They go because they are too dumb to know better, or because they are so desperate to get out the 1 bedroom prison called a condo, that they are willing to go anywhere.

Doesn't sound to me like you have too much respect for dogs even though you claim that you owned a pet and loved it dearly. I meet multiple people daily that I swear to you my two boxers are both smarter than so calling them dumb is ridiculous, how about LOYAL? There is a HUGE difference in those two words. They do go because they want to be with their owner AND because they enjoy it. Are you telling me that your dog woudn't have enjoyed going hiking or climbing??? True, they don't get to CHOOSE whether to go or not but it certainly isn't like their owners are taking them dog fighting, they are going hiking, outside with wildlife, nature, etc.

To be absolutely clear, it is not my displeasure at seeing dogs up there, it is my empathy for the dog that drives my opinion.
Have seen many of them beat, hurt and dog tired all because they were loyally following their owner.
I am fully connected with the theme of man's best friend. I wore the badge of dog owner proudly for over 10 years before sadly having to put my Tolly girl down and bury her. I cried like a baby.
I surmise by your kids analogy, you have none. I raised 2. Your description may describe toddlers, but not much else. Well, maybe some adults...

I have kept pretty quiet about this and had to speak up as some people that get on their high and mighty soapbox just really annoy me. I realize that I am not a veteran climber but I am a VERY experienced dog owner and dog lover, oh yeah, I also have a daughter so I know a little about having kids too. I have cried when putting down two of my previous boxers due to illness and have dealt with the heartbreak of having a child in the hospital for the first three months of her life (weighing 2 pounds at birth). I fail to see why the kids analogy is far off of a comparison with dogs, or even adults for that matter, when it comes to behavior whether it is in general or on a mountain. I think the point that everyone is making is that whether it is adults, kids or dogs, all of them HAVE the capability to be a menace to other hikers but not all of them ARE. Back to your point about children vs. dogs...I have seen MANY teenagers act WAY worse than a toddler and as you stated earlier, many adults also. Not sure what your comments regarding "empathy" for the dogs are but the majority of these dogs are greatly enjoying themselves. IF there are dogs that are hurt, bleeding, etc. than I agree with you, shame on the owners for bringing them or continuing the climb selfishly. However, stating that you feel sorry for all dogs because they are being "forced" to do this activity and the insinuation that they aren't enjoying themselves is just ridiculous...Am I correct in assuming that you are OK with dogs being on the mountain if they are treated correctly, with the proper protection/gear but you are not OK with dogs that don't have the proper protection/gear or are not in the physical condition to be up on the mountain? If that is the case, than I think we all agree with you but I think you went about offering your opinion incorrectly...
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time...
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

weschun wrote: (d) Possessing a dog not on a leash or otherwise confined.
I think there are some other Forest Service regs that dogs must be leashed.
Here is a good example of why nobody should try to read or partially quote government regulations:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/conditions ... 009-02.pdf
Order#R2-2009-02
"Pursuant to Title 16... blah blah blah...
Prohibitions:
5. Possessing or consuming a beverage which is defined as an alcoholic beverage by applicable state law. 36 CFR 261.58(bb)
...."
Holy crap! I'm not allowed to drink beer in my campsite in the forest anymore!
I can just see a bunch of people who read part of a law and think they understand the law busting into my campsite and telling me I have to pour out my beer!
Oh wait, there is more:
Exemptions:
... bunch of boring stuff...
3. Persons who have attained the age of 21 years are exempt from Prohibition 5 ....
#-o
Three of my brain cells just died.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
crockettd2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crockettd2 »

Ruff suff from REI is a great product. However, I would recommend wrapping the tops and perhaps the dew claw area with pet wrap. I have found on my choc.lab that his dew claw became irratated :( . In deeper snow, I found that snow would melt down into his shoe. Wrapping the top prevented this from happening. You can get pet wrap at Petco. I found it much cheaper at Murdock's. I use it too Great product, lightweight easy to carry and helps if you sprain and ankle. :D
fringe fatale
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fringe fatale »

So what is a good diet recommendation for extreme athletic dogs? Im thinking a pound of uncooked bacon a day? My husky/lab mix is in training for a secret 14ers mission.
I mostly communicate by howling.
njwhite
14ers: 14 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by njwhite »

I'm not an expert on raw food diets for dogs but I did look into them when I got my dog a few years back. Since bacon has high levels of salt I do not think feeding 1 lb of raw bacon to a dog per day is good at all! Also, the high levels of fat could cause pancreatitis or other problems.

If you feed your dog dry food I would suggest Innova Evo Red Meat, this is super high in protien and very low in carbs which is what high activity dogs need. The food is also natural preservative free and doesn't use byproducts. It is definitely more expensive than regualar dry food but it much cheaper than feeding a raw food diet. I also used to do 1/3 canned and 2/3 kibble because my dog loved the mixture of the canned with the dry food. This can be a good alternative to a raw food diet. Below are links to Innova Evo website that details the food. I know my dog loves to eat this stuff, it keeps dogs very lean if they are high energy/activity dogs.

http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rusty Shackleford
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

My Rhodesian Ridgeback loves hiking (running) 14ers. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen her sprint as fast as she does above 12,000 ft.

Like someone said earlier, I have seen dogs that seem tortured or at least severely underprepared physically to hike a 14er with their owner. Kinda sick of the owner to even take those dogs. They are also usually the owners that also don't bring anything to pick up their dog's poop with. Its lame that these losers give such a bad rep to the respectable owners that hike with dogs.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

I take it this an April Fool's joke, resurrecting the #1 dog thread ?

I was going to do just the lol smilie, but then I realized that the guns might apply too, can't leave out just kill me, then I really realized just how many smilies apply to this thread:
:lol: :guns: :justkillme: :fight: :cartman: ](*,) :-# :deadhorse: :xST :detonate: :cussing: :-" =; 8-[ :?: :-x :-P :oops: :cry: :evil: :shock: :-o :( :twisted: :roll: :wink: #-o =P~ [-X [-o< :-$ :-& :-s
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
Rusty Shackleford
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

That's all? ;)
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »